Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New ThermoWorks Blue Dot

Options
Photo Egg
Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
ThermoWorks now has the Dot in Bluetooth.
https://www.thermoworks.com/BlueDOT

It's priced about double to my Lavatools Carbon Lite.
https://www.lavatools.co/products/carbon-lite

Carbon Lite has duel reading probe but I still like having the display on the actual unit like the Dot.

Bluetooth range in general sucks but at least you don't have to walk outside to check.

What do you think?
Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I’m not a fan. BT range doesn’t work for my setup. Especially if the device doesn’t reconnect automatically  with my phone when I get close enough. Having to connect every time when I was back in range made me give up on BT devices a long time ago. 

My lo tech solution was to turn and set the dome of my LBGE about 40 deg from the standard position, so I can see the dome thermo from the bedroom :) If I need the meat temp, then I set up the FB200 and monitor it from wherever I want. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I just face my Therma-Q towards the window if needed. Then I can peak out and see what the temp is. Typically though, if I'm smoking I'm enjoying the great outdoors somewhere in the general vicinity of the egg. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    ThermoWorks now has the Dot in Bluetooth.
    https://www.thermoworks.com/BlueDOT

It's priced about double to my Lavatools Carbon Lite.
    https://www.lavatools.co/products/carbon-lite

Carbon Lite has duel reading probe but I still like having the display on the actual unit like the Dot.

Bluetooth range in general sucks but at least you don't have to walk outside to check.

What do you think?
    Bluetooth range doesn't have to suck. WiFi and Bluetooth use the same frequency band.

The main difference is that since most BT devices are designed to be rather small/light/portable and folks don't want to have to change batteries every year, most BT devices use the lowest transmitter power they can. BT has three specified classes; 1,2,3. Class 3 being the lowest power and thus the lowest current draw and greatest battery life but also the shortest range. Class 1 has the greatest transmitter power, thus the greatest range and largest current draw so you need to change batteries more often (or just use bigger batteries).

Class 1 BT devices are easily capable of offering 300 foot range. I think what we need is  for someone to manufacture something like the Blue Dot but use a couple D cell batteries. But then there would be folks that complain that "it's too big and clunky looking" so they wouldn't buy it. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Bluetooth is not a favorite technology for me either, It is very frustrating to use. It is widely regarded as a failed technology that hangs in there because there is no replacement for it. It has became so popular that it can't easily be killed.
    As @HeavyG pointed out, Bluetooth's main selling point is it's low power consumption.
    Low power consumption is why there are so many home automation systems and thermostats that require the use of communication hubs to operate. These hubs are not Bluetooth powered, but they rely on various sensors that need long battery life. They use other protocols such as Zigbee and Enocean.These protocols provide low power consumption and long battery life.
    WiFi communication protocol can't provide the long battery life these types of devices require.

I would love to test a high powered Bluetooth temp monitor to see how it performs. If you have to be in line of site, the temp monitor would be of limited usefulness for me. Maybe a high power device could overcome the range limitations.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    caliking said:
    I’m not a fan. BT range doesn’t work for my setup. Especially if the device doesn’t reconnect automatically  with my phone when I get close enough. Having to connect every time when I was back in range made me give up on BT devices a long time ago. 

My lo tech solution was to turn and set the dome of my LBGE about 40 deg from the standard position, so I can see the dome thermo from the bedroom :) If I need the meat temp, then I set up the FB200 and monitor it from wherever I want. 
    Why do you watch the temp from your bedroom? :blush:

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Bluetooth can be frustrating in AZ.  The range goes in the tank as the heat climbs - making it mostly useless 4 months a year.  We're not typical though, so might be fine for most.

Phoenix 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    caliking said:
    DMW said:
    caliking said:

Why do you watch the temp from your bedroom? :blush:

To make sure it’s not getting hotter out there than it is in here. 
    You could use cameras!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX