Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Tipping

Options
124»

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    There would be no second or third time with me. Dining with a cheapskate doesn’t make for a pleasant evening. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options

Killit_and_Grillit said:
    Rule of Thumb: Always take care of the people who can f*ck with your life. People that handle what you consume and people around your family and your coveted belongings.  
    Don't know if its true or not, but a coworker had this story from a cruise he was on (this is 1990 or so): some rowdy guests hosted violent parties in their room on the ship every night, things tore up, puke on the floor, etc, every morning.  They got home, developed the film in their camera, and found a pic of the maid's ass, with their toothbrushes (the handle end) sticking out!!  :lol:  
    Again, don't know if that's true, but it sure makes me laugh when I think about it.  

And a point:  urine is, indeed, sterile; but it's also toxic.  I won a bet with an RN on that factoid.   

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    I once gave a girl just the tip. She said it was the biggest she's ever had. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Typical engineer.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Botch said:
    how much do you tip a robot

Image result for Clementine Pennyfeather

Depends on the strength/speed of its gyro-feedback circuitry.    
    I'd have to give her more than a tip. 
    What's the policy on take out? 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Legume said:
    American tipping culture sucks.  I’d rather restaurants pay servers a fair wage so tipping is less obligatory and more about a job done well.  I understand that means menu prices will rise to accommodate, I’m ok with that.
    I agree but paying them a fair wage doesn’t equate to good service. In general, the service has been very slow and inattentive in European countries where tipping isn’t a part of the culture.  Some of the older wait staff will still take pride in their job, but most of the younger folks suck at being a waiter/waitress. 

HeavyG said:
    Toxarch said:
    Customers get rated by the drivers. If you tip really well, you'll get a 5. Tip mediocre, you'll get a 4. If you get rated lower than a 4, you might not get picked up unless there aren't any other customers with higher ratings. Drivers want customers with a 5 rating. And just so you know, Lyft doesn't let you tip through the app so carry cash. 
    Oh how I wish the USA could kill off the whole tipping culture thing. Alas, it's not likely to ever go away.
    I used to feel the same way until I spent some time in Europe. In countries where there is no tipping there is no incentive to give good service, and the service is unbelievably bad.
    It’s hit or miss anywhere you go. It’s not the culture of the country rather the culture of the restaurant that is the difference maker. 

That was from November, apparently you have been back to Europe since then.
  • PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 356
    Options
    I took my wife out to a locally owned, popular, riverside restaurant for our anniversary a couple of years ago.
    Seated ourselves at a table on the outer deck overlooking the water, and got our drinks from the tiki-ish bar on the deck. Waitress took our food order and we didn’t see her again until after another server brought our food out to us. Then she just walked by and asked if everything was okay, but never waited for a response. When she dropped the bill off the tip was included (20%) and there were charges on there that we didn’t order, along with our meals and charges for the drinks that we paid for at the tiki. Wife brought this to her attention and after she returned the corrected bill, it was only down 7$ from the first one. My wife took the bill to the manager and had her re-total the bill and correct what we should have been charged, and remove the added gratuity. It dropped the bill by over 40$. We left no tip.
    The worst of it was that a lot of older people eat there, and while we watched, at least 4 tables just handed their cards to the waitress without looking at the bill, and still put cash down for a tip.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    I have a buddy that is a “Trust Child”. He is 55 years old and retired when he was born. I have known him since we were 4 years old. His entire life has always tipped the same regardless or service. A Quarter. If it’s Waffle House or Ruth Chris he never forgets to tip a Quarter.

Wow....seriously?  I imagine if he ever worked a day in his life, he'd feel at least a little differently.  Pretty sad. 

As far as the wage versus tipping, most good wait staff I've known over the years would much prefer the current method versus getting paid a higher hourly wage.  My wife was still in school and waiting tables in a restaurant/bar when we got married and did so for another couple years 'til she was done.  The hourly wage was $2.01, but wasn't uncommon for her to come home with $200 cash in a night, which was a ton back then for us in the early-mid '90s.  She made far more than any decent paying hourly job she could have found in less time.

I'm usually 20-25% even if the service is so-so.  Might drop to 15 or even 10 if it's just downright awful.  But will go as high as 30-40% if it's outstanding.  Maybe times have changed though.       

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    There would be no second or third time with me. Dining with a cheapskate doesn’t make for a pleasant evening. 
    Simple solution - just point and tell the waitstaff to "Put his on a separate check."
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Simple solution - just point and tell the waitstaff to "Put his on a separate check."
    Meh. If someone is stiffing the wait staff, they are probably not folks I want to hang out with. I tend to pick up the tab as I loathe the process of splitting up a check at the table. 
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I live in a small town of about 10,000. We have a dozen or so independent restaurants. I frequent three. I'm an over-tipper. Usually around 30% on the pre tax total bill. I tip 15% on **** service and just don't return. Here are my reasons and argument-

I'm buying great service, or at least better service than the guy that always tip a buck. 

They make about $2.50 an hour. (I'm not bragging, only justifying) I make that on my walk from the locker room to the time clock.

They depend on the tips so they provide better service for the big tippers. 

If they made $15.00 an hour they'd have zero incentive to give great service and every restaurant experience would be just like standing in line at a burger joint. They wouldn't give a fvck if you were happy or not because it all pays the same.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Some light reading for y’all over the summer months:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    This thread has been tipped over the edge.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Doesn’t take much to sink a thread around here these days.  The Buffalo feels just the tip of the spear and takes off like a wild boar being chased by angry kids on a deserted island.  
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Doesn’t take much to sink a thread around here these days.  The Buffalo feels just the tip of the spear and takes off like a wild boar being chased by angry kids on a deserted island.  
    if there are kids on the island...

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    dmchicago said:

You can either have an island with kids or  deserted island, but not both.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I stopped going to restaurants when i got a Big Green Egg....
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    dmchicago said:

You can either have an island with kids or  deserted island, but not both.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Went to a Fort Lauderdale Beach bar  tonight.  Three beers, $18.  Gave her a $5.   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    Just throwing this out.  We have a local BBQ restaurant in my small town that does a huge breakfast business.  We kinda got to know a waitress at the joint and learned she had a degree in nursing.  I asked why she does the breakfast waitress shift when she could be working in her field ?  She said she made over $100 per shift.  This was back in the late 80's or early 90's.  Hell that was more than I made working at the railroad! That being said we will not go out to eat if we can't afford to tip.  These people have to deal with the public EVERY day!  On a side note I don't know if it makes a difference but we always leave cash for a tip even when paying with a CC.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• REB17
    REB17 Posts: 152
    Options
    I didn't read whole thread so apologize if this was already addressed. I travel for a living an eat out 4-5 times a night. Always tip at least 20%, but ONLY on the sub-total.  I can't see any reason to include the tax on the tip. 
    LGBE-1999, MBGE-2003, SBGE-2007

Midlothian, VA