Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Tipping

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    scottc454 said:
    They should just add a commission to the bill and call it good.  If I don't like the service or food, it's my job to tell them and get them to make it right. 

Too many people get on a power trip over a damn tip amount. The worst is when you're with a group of people and everything is perfect except for one bag o' crap who wants to ruin the experience by under-tipping.

That happens....when it does, I pull out my wallet and make it right, hopefully sending a message to the cheap bastard.

Here's a question,

If you are staying in a hotel for a couple days and don't have the maid come clean during your stay, do you tip them?

When i'm with my family and we have four in the room, yes. $2-3 per day.  While alone on business travel sometimes.  Depends if I have a Motley Crue level party in my suite or not.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I always guesstimate the final bill based on number of people and where what the restaurant is and tip the waitstaff in cash ahead of time, when we order.  Always get great service.
  • I daveloped my own patanted twenny-five point check card that I bring to every meal even the Taco Bueno.  It has points for everything like clean floors and how used the straws seem and if the beans are to black.  An how hot the girl who brings our food is specially if my wife isn’t in the mood that night.  I check things off as we go and the final number means that’s the tip.  I jus do dollars no pacentages because I don do math while I’m eating thank you.  No check for math.  This really works and I never tip to much or to liddell and everyone seems happy though I have had some funny tasting sheekin soup in places.
  • nolaegghead
    I daveloped my own patanted twenny-five point check card that I bring to every meal even the Taco Bueno.  It has points for everything like clean floors and how used the straws seem and if the beans are to black.  An how hot the girl who brings our food is specially if my wife isn’t in the mood that night.  I check things off as we go and the final number means that’s the tip.  I jus do dollars no pacentages because I don do math while I’m eating thank you.  No check for math.  This really works and I never tip to much or to liddell and everyone seems happy though I have had some funny tasting sheekin soup in places.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWFXf2qjXeg

I daveloped my own patanted twenny-five point check card that I bring to every meal even the Taco Bueno.  It has points for everything like clean floors and how used the straws seem and if the beans are to black.  An how hot the girl who brings our food is specially if my wife isn’t in the mood that night.  I check things off as we go and the final number means that’s the tip.  I jus do dollars no pacentages because I don do math while I’m eating thank you.  No check for math.  This really works and I never tip to much or to liddell and everyone seems happy though I have had some funny tasting sheekin soup in places.

Please tell me you are joking? I think you are given the numerous grammatical errors. I'm no Grammar Nazi either, good lord.....

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Throughout college I had some jobs with tipping involved so I tend to tip well unless something really goes wrong.  I worked valet, ran a mobile car detailing business and served at a Hard Rock Cafe.. I always worked with the mindset that good service was a priority to make money.  Some servers have it all wrong while most do enough for me to tip 20%.  I’ll tip more at places I frequent since I often get perks or in some cases I’ll go even further like I did with our local sushi spot owner, took him golfing at a $300 per person/round course.  Lots of “free” sushi since that outing.  
  • I daveloped my own patanted twenny-five point check card that I bring to every meal even the Taco Bueno.  It has points for everything like clean floors and how used the straws seem and if the beans are to black.  An how hot the girl who brings our food is specially if my wife isn’t in the mood that night.  I check things off as we go and the final number means that’s the tip.  I jus do dollars no pacentages because I don do math while I’m eating thank you.  No check for math.  This really works and I never tip to much or to liddell and everyone seems happy though I have had some funny tasting sheekin soup in places.

Please tell me you are joking? I think you are given the numerous grammatical errors. I'm no Grammar Nazi either, good lord.....

I don respond to people that use the Lord’s name in vein.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831

Ok, gotcha so clearly you're just a moron troll.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

I am not a troll I was jus raised right unlike you!

I don get it. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864

I don get it. 
    He’s trying to tell you urine trouble.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TEXASBGE2018

Yes, clearly you’re a MENSA member right?

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349

Dude, don't make it so easy...
  • TEXASBGE2018

Dude, don't make it so easy...
    I don’t have time for double digit IQ idiots. They should walk into oncoming traffic.

I had to look it up.  You might be in some fancy club for smart people but maybe you need to go back to the Boy Scouts to learn some manners!
  • nolaegghead

I don get it. 
    He’s trying to tell you urine trouble.
    I did Nazi that coming.
    Another thread waiting for the buffalo!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    scottc454 said:
    They should just add a commission to the bill and call it good.  If I don't like the service or food, it's my job to tell them and get them to make it right. 

Too many people get on a power trip over a damn tip amount. The worst is when you're with a group of people and everything is perfect except for one bag o' crap who wants to ruin the experience by under-tipping.

That happens....when it does, I pull out my wallet and make it right, hopefully sending a message to the cheap bastard.
    Can’t stand when people do that in a group. The husband of my wife’s best friend is that way. The first time I pulled Nola’s move and took out my wallet to make it right. The 2nd time I called him out in front of his wife. The 3rd time, I called him out in front of the 10 person group we were with. It hasn’t happened since...cheap priq 
  • thetrim said:

Here's a question,

If you are staying in a hotel for a couple days and don't have the maid come clean during your stay, do you tip them?

When i'm with my family and we have four in the room, yes. $2-3 per day.  While alone on business travel sometimes.  Depends if I have a Motley Crue level party in my suite or not.

Rule of Thumb: Always take care of the people who can f*ck with your life. People that handle what you consume and people around your family and your coveted belongings. 

Bartenders, waiters/resses, housekeepers, delivery people, disposal service, HVAC guy, etc. 

Think of it as backwards Reagan Economics. 

At Christmas my service industry peeps get pies and gift cards. Guess who gets bumped to the front of the line when his AC is out?  And my SRF boxes are always right side up. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Clearly the answer here is Robots right? Replace all wait staff with robots and problem solved.......
    Problem solved.
    Unless your only job was being that waitstaff.  Then you're out of a job.
    Just like the checkout folks at the grocery.
    And the gas-pumpers.
    And the travel agents.
    The factory line workers.
    The truck and taxi drivers, once auto autonomy is perfected/allowed.  

I'm all for advancements in technology; unfortunately advancements in culture/economics aren't/can't keep up.   :|  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• nolaegghead
    thetrim said:

Here's a question,

Rule of Thumb: Always take care of the people who can f*ck with your life. People that handle what you consume and people around your family and your coveted belongings. 

Bartenders, waiters/resses, housekeepers, delivery people, disposal service, HVAC guy, etc. 

Think of it as backwards Reagan Economics. 

At Christmas my service industry peeps get pies and gift cards. Guess who gets bumped to the front of the line when his AC is out?  And my SRF boxes are always right side up. 
    Everything you need to know about the service worker underground, how they keep the gears of society turning, you can learn from Fight Club.
  • @nolaegghead. DUDE! Rule #1

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    Usually 20% on the food and drink total. More if they are deserving based on service. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Legume said:
    American tipping culture sucks.  I’d rather restaurants pay servers a fair wage so tipping is less obligatory and more about a job done well.  I understand that means menu prices will rise to accommodate, I’m ok with that.
    I agree but paying them a fair wage doesn’t equate to good service. In general, the service has been very slow and inattentive in European countries where tipping isn’t a part of the culture.  Some of the older wait staff will still take pride in their job, but most of the younger folks suck at being a waiter/waitress. 
  • Botch
    WeberWho said:
    BWW placed a practice that each server had to sell so many appetizers and deserts a month on top of the customers order or else risk getting fired. There were days my wife had to buy deserts herself to not get fired. (My wife was always a top serving waitress too) It got to the point where she couldn't meet the months standard amount of apps/desert when going to school. She quit after 6-7 years at BWW. 
    Dayam

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Botch
    how much do you tip a robot

Image result for Clementine Pennyfeather

Depends on the strength/speed of its gyro-feedback circuitry.    

• nolaegghead
    CornfedMA said:
    Can’t stand when people do that in a group. The husband of my wife’s best friend is that way. The first time I pulled Nola’s move and took out my wallet to make it right. The 2nd time I called him out in front of his wife. The 3rd time, I called him out in front of the 10 person group we were with. It hasn’t happened since...cheap priq 
    We had a group of four engineers, from two orgs, that had to go TDY once a month for a long time, and we had one of those.  First time, we made up the difference.  Second time, we made up the difference and called him out.
    Third time, we agreed to meet in the lobby at 6, and three of us met in the lobby at 5:30, and left without him.  He was furious, but wouldn't say anything nor agree to pay his fair share, and ate in the hotel restaurant the rest of the trips until I PCS'd.  I just don't get it.  

• @Botch engineers are the worst  ;)

#MP #jointhedarkside

South of Nashville, TN