Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Tipping

Options

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    I wait tables for a living, if anyone has any questions. 
    If I come to your restaurant on a day when you're working, can I request you?  That is my question.  

By the way I am the gigantic tipper type.  YUGE, even.  
    Some have said you're the biggest tipper there's ever been.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
    Options
    If I come to your restaurant on a day when you're working, can I request you?  That is my question.  

That’d be a YUGE compliment for me. 

Ask for Damien when you make the reservation - I’ll be giving you tastes of wine all night. 

Hope you had a Happy Father’s Day my friend. :)
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options

That’d be a YUGE compliment for me. 

Ask for Damien when you make the reservation - I’ll be giving you tastes of wine all night. 

Hope you had a Happy Father’s Day my friend. :)
    Likewise, brother.  We'll get out to Greensboro one of these days for a visit, I promise you that.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Clearly the answer here is Robots right? Replace all wait staff with robots and problem solved.......
    Better yet, replace all the terrible people in the world with good robots.
    Options
    Clearly the answer here is Robots right? Replace all wait staff with robots and problem solved.......

Oh I'm sure that will eventually happen. I'm sure they wont turn all Terminator either once they realize humanity itself is a sickness.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    I figger a few dollars will make more of a difference to most servers than it will to me...I tended bar, bussed and waited tables so have a great deal of empathy to restaurant folks.

20% to start, uphill from there for great service.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options

Who determines who's terrible and who's not?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I'm 20% starting out. If the service is terrible, I try to be positive and think they're having a bad day and hopefully this will help and still do 20%. 
    Me too

Little Rock, AR

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I'd like that job.  I'll even give a pass to everyone on the forum.

Phoenix 
  • nolaegghead
    Options

I do, of course.
    Options

I do, of course.

Oh Schlitz Malt Liquor.....

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    I worked in food service in high school and college and was on the receiving end, so I aways tip for table service - 20% for average service +/-  5% depending on good or bad. I hate how every walkup and take out register now has a tip jar, but do throw in spare change if the attendant is friendly.

As a consumer, I hate the mandatory tip of 18% for groups. But when checks get large, diners have a hard time leaving a >$100 tip. They just think it's too much, regardless of how much was served or wha the check is. There were several times where I had groups of 10-12 people with a check for >$400, and the tip would be $50.  Not totally stiffed, but not what I would have gotten with 3 tables of 4 people.  I think they tip should be completely optional, but give the diner guidance - "20% tip = $140", etc.

Unfortunately tipping is so ingrained in US culture it'll take a huge movement to get rid of entirely. In many places all the tips are pooled among all the servers, and then divided among all the servers. That way everyone in on 'one team' and if one server gets stiffed, they all share in it.  However there are some states that don't allow severs to share tips with the kitchen staff, so there is still a misalignment between kitchen and front of house.
    Danny Meyers restaurants in NYC were going to do away with tipping entirely. Not sure how that is going.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    It's my fantasy.  I do what I want.
    Options
    I had some great service at the Red Lobster last week.  Totally hooked that waitress up!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2018
    Options
    We believe fast, quality and friendly service should be the norm.  The fact is it's not reality. When we dine out and receive above average service the server's tip reflects that (typically over 20%).  By the same token, if we order out from the same restaurant for curbside pickup and they automatically tack on 15%-20% gratuity we will usually not be real happy campers. I have written off several restaurants that have this practice for curbside pickup. The fact is we have always tipped even on curbside pickup... The way we look at it they had to steal make our meal and make it presentable in the boxes that we have to pick up and then bring it out to our vehicle with a smile.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options

Oh I'm sure that will eventually happen. I'm sure they wont turn all Terminator either once they realize humanity itself is a sickness.
    Guess you have not been watching the tv show "Humans", or "Westworld".
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Guess you have not been watching the tv show "Humans", or "Westworld".

That is where we are heading. I think someone said Idiocracy earlier here or on another thread. That's it. Idiocracy, mixed with Westworld. But keep on tipping that 20% for crap service folks...

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    20+ on the whole tab including drinks 
    Including drinks!?  You're supposed to tip on drinks?!!!!
    Some say you aren’t supposed to tip so much on say a bottle of wine due to the exorbitant pricing, but hey wtf, right? I’m too lazy to parse all the bs anyway. I should have been more specific. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I'm 20% starting out. If the service is terrible, I try to be positive and think they're having a bad day and hopefully this will help and still do 20%. 
    My wife was a server and she enjoyed it. It can be a grueling job though. Lots of a-hole customers, terrible hours, and constantly pushed to sell, sell, sell. My wife started serving at 14. I bet she put in 10 years worth of serving. She misses it at times.

BWW placed a practice that each server had to sell so many appetizers and deserts a month on top of the customers order or else risk getting fired. There were days my wife had to buy deserts herself to not get fired. (My wife was always a top serving waitress too) It got to the point where she couldn't meet the months standard amount of apps/desert when going to school. She quit after 6-7 years at BWW. She was fortunately close to finishing her degree at that point. 

I always tip 20% or more. Fortunately we hardly ever go out to eat. My wife even helps organize our dirty plates for the waiter/waitress when we are done eating. It's the waitress in her. 

I hear you 100% Tarheelmatt
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    It was always my understanding that the mandatory tip for large parties was dictated by the tax man. I could be completely off base and have been lied to. Wouldn’t surprise me in the restaurant biz. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    how much do you tip a robot

Image result for Clementine Pennyfeather

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options

All my money. All of it. and then I steal the next guys and give her his. If its the robot above of course.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    It was always my understanding that the mandatory tip for large parties was dictated by the tax man. I could be completely off base and have been lied to. Wouldn’t surprise me in the restaurant biz. 
    It is not.  It is mandatory for the servers to pay tax on a certain percentage of their sales, however.
    Options

Whatever it is, just make sure it's enough:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options

Here's a question,

If you are staying in a hotel for a couple days and don't have the maid come clean during your stay, do you tip them?

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    What about gifts for USPS, UPS, and FEDEX guys/girls? @lousubcap
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • scottc454
    scottc454 Posts: 94
    Options
    They should just add a commission to the bill and call it good.  If I don't like the service or food, it's my job to tell them and get them to make it right. 

Too many people get on a power trip over a damn tip amount. The worst is when you're with a group of people and everything is perfect except for one bag o' crap who wants to ruin the experience by under-tipping.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site