Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raising temp after low smoke

Options
did some ribs yesterday on my new Father’s Day Large BGE and after I finished those
at 300’i wanted to raise the dome temp to 500 for some oysters, but could never get above 350 with bottom door wide open and no cap on the top. It cooked for about 2 1/2 hours prior to me trying to raise the temp. Any ideas?

ribs were good, but ever so slightly dry. Something to work on, maybe lower temp next time. 

Comments

• YettiLuke
    YettiLuke Posts: 8
    Options
    You possibly had an airflow issue with ash blocking either the firebox holes or the charcoal grate holes. You may have also been running out of lump depending on how full the load of lump was. 
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    As @YettiLuke said, either airflow or fuel. After a long cook, a lot of ash remains. After you pulled the ribs off, stirring the lump to let the ashes fall through would have been a good move. At that point, you can assess whether you have enough fuel left to get to roasting temps. Better luck next time!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • seabassius
    Options
    Stirring the lump would have been good and. I wondered about the ash build up when I was writing this. I don’t have a system for storing hot ash yet. 

How do you get the conveggerator off? Thermal gloves I’m guessing. Need to rethink my set up of where to place it when coming off a hot grill too. 
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Agree with @YettiLuke and @Nature Boy as fuel and airflow are the only two variables you have to contend with so if the fire doesn't start roaring its one of those two.

A kick ash basket makes it easier to keep a live fire going as a quick shake can rid the ash and keep the airflow moving 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Stirring the lump would have been good and. I wondered about the ash build up when I was writing this. I don’t have a system for storing hot ash yet. 

How do you get the conveggerator off? Thermal gloves I’m guessing. Need to rethink my set up of where to place it when coming off a hot grill too. 
    Correct, never want to pull anything hot off the Egg and not have a plan.
    Search this site for Wiggle Rod.
    I would not stir the ash.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    First off Welcome to the zoo.  Get a cheap pair of welding gloves from Harbor Freight or where ever.  Airflow is most likely. How many cooks have you done and what kind of lump are you using?

If you're brand new to the egg try a couple of practice burns playing with temps after completely (remove the fire box and ring) cleaning it out and start fresh
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options

If you have dogs or children be VERY careful about where you put it.
    New Orleans LA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,344
    Options
    Notmuch to add but given you were running fine at 300*F and then couldn't raise temp above 350*F would lead me to believe you ran out of fuel.  
    And about the platesetter another vote for having the landing zone prepped and ready before removing.
    BTW- there is an after market product made by ceramic grill store, linked here that makes handing the PS easy:
    https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/big-green-egg-large-accessories-by-ceramic-grill-store/products/large-pswoo2-bge  
    My rib test for doneness is the toothpick test-insert into the meat with no resistance and you are there.  FWIW-
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Great gift right there.  Congrats. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • seabassius
    Options
    logchief said:
    First off Welcome to the zoo.  Get a cheap pair of welding gloves from Harbor Freight or where ever.  Airflow is most likely. How many cooks have you done and what kind of lump are you using?

If you're brand new to the egg try a couple of practice burns playing with temps after completely (remove the fire box and ring) cleaning it out and start fresh

Probably my 6th or 7th cook. I’m about done with the BGE charcoal brand that came with it and the bottom of the bag is getting pretty small. I can search the forum for this but what do people think of the BGE brand vs others? Sorry for any typos writing ha on phone as I wait for a flight. 
  • bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    If you search the forum for lump opinions and whatnot, you will have plenty of reading while waiting for your flight. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    Agree with fuel and air, but I'd probably just leave the plate setter in and run it up
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian