Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First brisket - overnight or get up early?

Options
Greetings intelleggentsia™, been lurking since Father's Day two years ago when I got my XL.  Finally getting around to doing my first brisket - one of those Costco prime packer jobs.  Started at 12.5 pounds and it's a little under 10 after trimming.

before I trimmed it, I was figuring 12-18 hours going by the 1-1.5 hours per pound guesstimate (yes, I know every cook is different and "the cow drives the cook" (no brisket thread is complete without that nugget of wisdom)) and thought I"d put it on about midnight.  but now at 10 pounds, I'm more thinking of getting up early, getting the egg up and running and putting it on at 7AM.  Hoping to eat around 7PM.

Is that pushing it?  Mind you, I don't have a controller on my egg - just a maverick remote thermometer.  But I marvel at how this thing will hold a temp for hours without messing with it.  The idea of overnight was to give me a lot of buffer, but is there any downside for FTC for hours?  Like if it finished in 12 hours at noon, I'd be FTC'ing it for seven hours.  Weighing that against it not being ready at 7PM.

Thanks and cheers!
Ted

Comments

• bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    I think an overnight cook leaves you open to it being down way too early. My cooler isn’t anything special. I don’t like holding for more than 4 hours in it. I’d rather get up early and cook than do an overnight cook. I don’t have any temp control gadgets either. Today mine stayed in the 240-250 range for probably 5 hours. I had to adjust it a little to run hotter to hit my desired finish time. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Greetings and welcome.

I wouldn't cut it close, or you might be looking for an alternate protein for dinner (been there done that).

I think Lou gave spot on advice.  Light egg by 5am, and alter temp in the afternoon in order to be done by a target of 5pm.

Have fun, and don't forget tomorrow family should not bug you while you nap - since you were up at 5.
    Phoenix 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Welcome.  Make it a morning cook and run 275.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Never understoood the whole smoking during the night thing. Half the fun is getting up at 7am and drinking a cup of coffee while the smokers warming up. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Another vote for getting up early.  Welcome and no need to lurk, we’re looking forward to hearing or better yet seeing how your cook comes out.  
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Live2GrillGrill2Live
    Options
    12:23 and just getting home from end of the school year party at friend's house.  so don't want to deal with it, so an early 6AM alarm is in my very near future.  thanks for the advice.  though I know either way, it will be occupying my mind all night long anyway.
  • RalphieBoy
    RalphieBoy Posts: 131
    Options
    Your putting too much pressure on your first Brisket. Buy hamburgers and grill them. Take on the Brisket with no worries on time. I have made umpteen Briskets and the best way is little pressure on time. Sleep in and tomorrow take a couple of naps then take on a couple cold beers after you final nap and fire up your egg. 
    Large, Small, Mini Max & Mini.
    Wishlist XXL, XL & Medium 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Get the sleep and just turbo the damn thing. With only the exception of @The Cen-Tex Smoker it's as good as anyone's (IMO). 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Live2GrillGrill2Live
    Options
    no real pressure - just the family for dinner.  egg is getting stabilized.  can't wait to get back in bed :)
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Go to bed at a reasonable hour and get up at the crack of dawn. (edit - looks like you did)

My Fathers Day brisket went on the Egg this morning at 6:20. It was a little later than intended but no worries as it's just a 1/2 of a flat. After 4-5 hours on the smoke at 250* or so I'll wrap it in butcher paper for another 3 hours at 300* or so. Once I hit 200* and it probes tender it gets wrapped in a towel and set in a cooler for an hour or so. We'll be eating by 5:00 at the latest.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    no real pressure - just the family for dinner.  egg is getting stabilized.  can't wait to get back in bed :)
    So how did the cook turn out? 
    New Orleans LA
  • Live2GrillGrill2Live
    Options
    still going!  I just wrapped it at 7PM (guess we're not eating at 7) and cranked the egg up to 350.  had a great bark, but the flat is just 178 and it's not feeling right yet.  Hoping another hour then let it FCS rest for another hour.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    What temp did you run with and was that instrument calibrated as this sounds like the "equalizer" cow; the one who moves the cook time per lb back to "normal".    
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    HOLY SH!T that looks awesome. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Still gotta let that sucker rest and FTC - don't skip those steps in your eagerness to get protein on the table or you will most likely be disappointed...also, you could still hit a second stall if you have offended the brisket gods in any way.

• Live2GrillGrill2Live
    Options
    Thanks, Slabs, I definitely won't skip that step. While this is my first brisket, I'm a veteran of many a pulled pork and other large hunks of meat. Though I will admit, I'm getting anxious  Luckily we had a big Father's day brunch 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    What temp did you run with and was that instrument calibrated as this sounds like the "equalizer" cow; the one who moves the cook time per lb back to "normal".    
    @Live2GrillGrill2Live - any insights as to the above??
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Live2GrillGrill2Live
    Options
    OK, recap - put the brisket on at 7AM.  I'm still confused about dome vs grill level temp.  Dome is pretty much always 35-50 degrees higher than grill level temp.  So I usually defer to the grill temp since it seems that's more indicative of the temp the meat is experiencing and I'd rather go to low temp than too high.  After 12 hours, the flat was around 178 and the point was 185.  I paper wrapped it, cranked it to 350 and let it go another hour.  Then I FTC it for another hour.  It was pretty friggin' amazing.  Pics kinda suck, unfortunately.  I think the next time I'll go overnight.  Thanks for the advice, everyone!
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Looks pretty amazing.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • shadowcaster
    shadowcaster Posts: 620
    Options
    That looks like it turned out good. I always hate having people over for a good dinner and the meat is running behind. I always plan on starting earlier knowing I can FTC for up to 6 hours. I have played the waiting game too many times and eating at 9pm always sucks, especially when you have people over. I trust my eggs enough to know when they are settled in they don’t fluctuate much. I sleep very well when I have a brisket or a butt on the egg haha. 
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Right freakin' on!
  • PattyG
    PattyG Posts: 22
    Options
    That brisket looks great.  Hoping to try our first brisket soon.  What does FTC mean?  I assume has something to do with it resting after done cooking but I looked it up and it said, Foil, Towel, Cooler - what exactly does this mean??

Thanks!

Patty
    Big Green Egg Newbie
    Maryland
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Options
    PattyG said:
    That brisket looks great.  Hoping to try our first brisket soon.  What does FTC mean?  I assume has something to do with it resting after done cooking but I looked it up and it said, Foil, Towel, Cooler - what exactly does this mean??

Thanks!

It means that when you pull your brisket, let it rest until the internal temp stops climbing. After that, wrap it in aluminum foil, then a towel (or moving blanket or your kids’ favorite blanky, you get the idea). Then it that bundle of joy into a cooler for a nap. It’ll stay good and warm for 4-6 hrs while distributing all those wonderful juices. 
  • PattyG
    Options
    Thanks for explaining that!  So putting into the cooler to keep it warm!  Now I get it!  I'm a little slow...  I thought when you wrapped it in foil - it went back on the grill for another hour or more - like the method you use for Ribs to make them fall off the bone...?  But you don't wrap foil until it's done on the grill?

CornfedMA said:
    PattyG said:

Thanks!

It means that when you pull your brisket, let it rest until the internal temp stops climbing. After that, wrap it in aluminum foil, then a towel (or moving blanket or your kids’ favorite blanky, you get the idea). Then it that bundle of joy into a cooler for a nap. It’ll stay good and warm for 4-6 hrs while distributing all those wonderful juices. 

Patty
    Big Green Egg Newbie
    Maryland
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @PattyG FTC - Foil, towel, cooler. Not a cooking method but a holding method. Be careful not to foil immediately or carryover cooking will continue beyond the temp you intended. 
    New Orleans LA
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    PattyG said:
    Thanks for explaining that!  So putting into the cooler to keep it warm!  Now I get it!  I'm a little slow...  I thought when you wrapped it in foil - it went back on the grill for another hour or more - like the method you use for Ribs to make them fall off the bone...?  But you don't wrap foil until it's done on the grill?

Some people will foil brisket during cooking, but that is not FTC.  FTC refers only to the keeping the meat warm post cook.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• PattyG
    Options
    Thanks!  This is good information!  Cooking brisket sounds a little complicated for newbies!  but looking forward to trying it in a couple more weeks - when we have more time...  We cooked our first burgers on the BGE last night and they were yummy!  don't never want to use our Weber Gas Grill again!  

Patty
    Big Green Egg Newbie
    Maryland
  • SandyHookEgger
    Options
    @Live2GrillGrill2Live it looks good to me. I always start them at some time during the night since 2 to 6 hours FTC is a pretty big cushion.

Works for me, but am old enough that waking up a couple times a night is gonna happen anyway. So having to get up to make a temp adjustment is no problem. Also proves that my Maverick Redi Chek temp alerts actually work. =)