Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Sous Vide Salted Caramel Pots de Creme

Options
2»

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    kjs said:
    @JohnInCarolina what’s your consistency on these like versus the chocolate? I just did it and the caramel one were pretty “runny” versus the pudding consistency of the chocolate. What’s your experience?
    Next time try keeping them in for the two hrs the original linked recipe calls for.  I find that improves the consistency.  But regardless, they are not as dense as the chocolate pots.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    kjs said:
    @JohnInCarolina what’s your consistency on these like versus the chocolate? I just did it and the caramel one were pretty “runny” versus the pudding consistency of the chocolate. What’s your experience?
    Gotta let them ru for the 2.5 hrs.  I did them and they were similar to the chocolate.  
  • kjs
    kjs Posts: 111
    Options
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina, can you tell me what product you to use so I can order some. Hope to get it ordered and make some for this weekend. Thanks for your time. 
  • Budaman5000
    Options
    Looks great...
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Moleman said:
    @JohnInCarolina, can you tell me what product you to use so I can order some. Hope to get it ordered and make some for this weekend. Thanks for your time. 

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,294
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Nice cook. I see that some folks submerge the jars entirely. I’ve seen many recipes that call for not overtightening the lids (so as to let air escape safely during expansion) and not submerging them completely, but would love if others could confirm that submerging them is a non issue. Can someone please let me know?
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Next purchase = SV
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Nice cook. I see that some folks submerge the jars entirely. I’ve seen many recipes that call for not overtightening the lids (so as to let air escape safely during expansion) and not submerging them completely, but would love if others could confirm that submerging them is a non issue. Can someone please let me know?
    I’ve never had a problem submerging.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I have made several batches of Egg Bites fully submerged and the jars are just finger tight, no problems at all. 

Going to try this recipe soon!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Moleman said:
    If you can't find it, you can also make your own Dulche le Leche in your Sous Vide setup 
    - Can of Sweetened Condensed Milk in a jar
    - Vanilla bean
    - Pinch of Salt
    - 185º for 15 hours
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Moleman said:
    If you can't find it, you can also make your own Dulche le Leche in your Sous Vide setup 
    - Vanilla bean
    - Pinch of Salt
    - 185º for 15 hours
    Interesting!
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    @Moleman  said:
    Trader Joes sells a good one as well if TJ is in your area.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Party says she will plan to have one at BBIV.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Moleman said:
    - Vanilla bean
    - Pinch of Salt
    - 185º for 15 hours
    This is what I did just to say I did.  
  • Moleman
    Options
    I ordered some last night, thanks. I also have a Trader Joe's in my area. I appreciate all the feedback from everyone. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
  • Moleman
    Options
    One last question asi plan on making these today for a get together tomorrow. This may sound silly but is honest, the coffee, already decode, or just fresh from the package coffee? 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Moleman said:
    One last question asi plan on making these today for a get together tomorrow. This may sound silly but is honest, the coffee, already decode, or just fresh from the package coffee? 
    Not a silly question at all, I think a lot of people get confused on this.  I know of at least one for sure who's made the mistake.  

The coffee in the recipe is for brewed coffee, not coffee grounds.  I'd think the latter would end up pretty terrible, and the grounds would probably just sink to the bottom of the jars.  

You could of course also try making these using @Mickey's coffee rub I guess.  That stuff is amazing on chicken.  Not sure about caramel pots though.