Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Saffire Crucible Firebox

Options
Curious everyone's thoughts on this new firebox design.  Obviously the basket isnt anything new.

Full disclosure I own a Saffire it's, received as a wedding gift.  But you all get credit to inspiration and success I've had with it, and my wife blames you for all the accessories I've bought for it.

Lakeville, MN

Comments

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    What is the hole for near the top?
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Last year Kamado Joe came out with a new firebox design that uses a number of segments to make up a ring. Far less likely to crack to begin with but if one of the segments does break it will be a helluva lot cheaper for KJ to mail out one segment for a warranty claim.

Saffire's also looks segmented or is is just scored/expansion cracks a number of times around the ring - can't really tell from the pix?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    That's a rendering, right?  Not an actual photo?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@teamunited33. I've never even seen one of tbose grills in person.  They look pretty solid.

More importantly, welcome to the forum.  Makes no diff what you cook on to me, and I'm sure that's true with most here.  

Phoenix 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • teamunited33
    Options
    What is the hole for near the top?
    It's a wood chip feeder port.  Honestly have never used it on mine because A) I haven't needed it and B) I haven't come up with an innovative way to use it without buying the actual wood chip feeder.
    Lakeville, MN
  • teamunited33
    Options
    blasting said:

@teamunited33. I've never even seen one of tbose grills in person.  They look pretty solid.

More importantly, welcome to the forum.  Makes no diff what you cook on to me, and I'm sure that's true with most here.  

Thank you sir.  It's a good grill.  I'm currently working with their customer service on getting a new fire ring, since the one I have snapped in half less than1 year in to use.  I got this as a wedding gift, so I don't have a receipt or anything like that for the warranty.  Thus far they seem like they're willing to work with me.
    Lakeville, MN
  • teamunited33
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Last year Kamado Joe came out with a new firebox design that uses a number of segments to make up a ring. Far less likely to crack to begin with but if one of the segments does break it will be a helluva lot cheaper for KJ to mail out one segment for a warranty claim.

Saffire's also looks segmented or is is just scored/expansion cracks a number of times around the ring - can't really tell from the pix?
    I believe you're right that they are segmented, didn't know the KJ had somewhat of the same design already.

To me it seems like the Saffire basket sits pretty low in the "Crucible", or the basket just has low sides.  I do like how they have a removable divider already part of the basket.
    Lakeville, MN
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Why would I buy an after market firebox when mine is warranted for rest of my life? 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,626
    Options
    Why would I buy an after market firebox when mine is warranted for rest of my life? 
    Who was suggesting you (or anyone with a BGE) do that?
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,656
    Options
    Looks like a solid grill, it seems to come with the stand, tables and a basket.... makes sense!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    This isn’t for BGEs, as far as I can tell.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Legume said:
    Who was suggesting you (or anyone with a BGE) do that?
    With it being posted here on the BGE site, I guessed it was aftermarket for a BG egg. My bad. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,626
    Options
    I’m guessing the Saffire forum may be a little less active.