Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wings on the BGE - Direct or Indirect?

Options
2»

Comments

• PattyG
    PattyG Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks for all this great advice!  We haven't made our wings yet so will post an update when we do.  Hubby came down with a bad cold...  I think we will try raised direct for our first time trying with wings.  so much variety in ways to go with this... 
    Patty
    Big Green Egg Newbie
    Maryland
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    As others say-indirect until done. Then toss in sauce of choice, then back on direct to crisp. If I start out direct I have too many flare ups-causing burnt wings before they are even done.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Mickey said:
    raised direct 400

Still learning the lingo. What does "raised" mean exactly? 

EDIT: Nevermind. Found the answer. 

Took me a bit to sort out the BGE language-as noted above, raised grid refers to the height of the cooking surface,, generally about felt line height and achieved by any of the above suggestions.  Direct obviously is cooking without a barrier between food and fire.  Platesetter or any barrier between fire and food becomes indirect and the convection oven (or low and slow) for long cooks.  Still learnin'-good luck.

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    All great advice.  My personal favorite is raised indirect at 350, then fry to finish.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    edited June 2018
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Mickey said:
    raised direct 400

"Raised" means that the grill is elevated to be even with the top of the base or even above that.  To do this indirectly you would use your platesetter/convegerator to elevate the grill.  To do this directly I would suggest a visit to the  Ceramic Grill Store and look as PSWoo Rings or other options to get the grill higher in the egg.

You may also look at their adjustable rigs.

I run the woo on my large and MM... still deciding if I'll run woo or adjustable on my second large.

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• SonVolt
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Mickey said:
    raised direct 400

"Raised" means that the grill is elevated to be even with the top of the base or even above that.  To do this indirectly you would use your platesetter/convegerator to elevate the grill.  To do this directly I would suggest a visit to the  Ceramic Grill Store and look as PSWoo Rings or other options to get the grill higher in the egg.

You may also look at their adjustable rigs.

I run the woo on my large and MM... still deciding if I'll run woo or adjustable on my second large.

Awesome, thanks! I've used "raised indirect" I guess with the platesetter so far. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    I prefer raised, direct 400ish. Air dry wing for 24 hours or do the corn starch trick.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SonVolt
    Options
    So if you don't used raised direct and just use "regular direct" then you risk flareups/burning the bottoms of the wings? 
  • The_Stache
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    So if you don't used raised direct and just use "regular direct" then you risk flareups/burning the bottoms of the wings? 
    You'll spend a lot of time watching, flipping, cussing AND it will reduce the amount of time you will be able to enjoy your adult beverages!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• SonVolt
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    You'll spend a lot of time watching, flipping, cussing AND it will reduce the amount of time you will be able to enjoy your adult beverages!

Thanks! So let's say instead of wings you're going for a full spatchcocked chicken... still raised direct? 
  • The_Stache
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    SonVolt said:

Thanks! So let's say instead of wings you're going for a full spatchcocked chicken... still raised direct? 
    Yup, same deal.... (I never take my woo rings OUT for cooking.  Raising the cook up in the dome just seems to work)
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    This thread is proof positive that wings are some of the best eats in the world.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Raised indirect @ 350 degrees for 45 minutes then drown in a mixture of warm butter and Franks Red Hot Sauce. 
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    edited June 2018
    Options
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    I think that's a fantastic dipping sauce. And btw...i would steal every flap off that plate! Have fun with your egg. Try different methods. Find what works best for your household. You now have plenty of ideas!
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Now that is the way to bring it home.  Congrats on jumping in and nailing the cook.  I would inhale those.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Great job on the wings... try them different ways and enjoy
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"