Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: HVAC

Options
2»

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Upgrade to an xv20
    A lot of times existing ductwork can’t handle the pressure of those ultra efficient units. 
    Most duct systems are undersized, just the new equipment knows it. The old PSC Motors did not care. Increased static decreased airflow and current draw. The new X13 and ECM Motors get chewed up with the undersized ducts as they will try and do exactly what they are programmed to. the X13 is a Constant Torque the ECM Variable, the X13 has the higher failure rate and if the ducting is not addressed ( which it should have been @ the time of install) it will fail again
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,184
    Options
    Upgrade to an xv20
    A lot of times existing ductwork can’t handle the pressure of those ultra efficient units. 
    Thanks for cheery thought!
    I’ve seen it happen. It’s bad when someone spends a bunch on an ultra efficient unit only to open up Pandora’s box. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Well got mine fixed. It was a bad Capacitor. Fixed it in 10min. Did you get yours fixed @Gulfcoastguy?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    2 stage on a scroll is a mechanical valve that opens a larger exit in the scroll spiral.  rare that fails.
    Options
    Well got mine fixed. It was a bad Capacitor. Fixed it in 10min. Did you get yours fixed @Gulfcoastguy?
    Not yet. But at least it rained and cooled it off for a while.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Not yet. But at least it rained and cooled it off for a while.

Ya that helped. Its funny how 80 something inside can feel like you are in the middle of the Sahara. Even with the fans going full blast we all still tossed and turned last night and the night before. I think tonight I will put that temp down to about 68 in celebration.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    for the residential HVAC guys - what % of service calls are just a bad capacitor?  seems like that's the affliction here in Texas most of the time once it heats up.  Also seems like the cost of the replacement (not the service call) is 10x the part, at least.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,299
    Options
    My dog has claimed the spot on the bed directly under the AC vent and ceiling fan.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    @Legume, capacitors have always been a part that failed occasionally, however the failure rate has increased significantly in recent years. The failure rate increase is due to cheap imported capacitors from Mexico and China. American made capacitors are still available, you just have to make sure and specify that you want one. I always specify the US made ones. OEM's generally use the cheap foreign made one's on their new equipment.

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    GregW said:
    @Legume, capacitors have always been a part that failed occasionally, however the failure rate has increased significantly in recent years. The failure rate increase is due to cheap imported capacitors from Mexico and China. American made capacitors are still available, you just have to make sure and specify that you want one. I always specify the US made ones. OEM's generally use the cheap foreign made one's on their new equipment.

Imported parts? Aren’t they all made in Mexico these days? 
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Capacitors and contactors are big failure items around here. That and coils corroded beyond belief. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Our house came with an old HVAC system when we bought it, maybe 15 years old.  I kept it running for about 5 years, but the wires from the compressor started heating up and I knew it was a matter of time.

So I ordered, off eBay, new equipment.  5 ton split 14 seer and a 95% (don't remember the actual efficiency) gas furnace.

Old condenser was on the ground, wanted the new unit on the roof, so welded a frame for it.  Ran all new hard copper, did the nitrogen purge when braising it.  The new equipment was too wide for the attic door, so pulled that out and put a larger door in.  High efficiency filter in attic to back up the register filter.

That was maybe 12 years ago.  The only problem we've had is a bad compressor relay, which was an easy fix.  I put a "super" (huge) capacitor in to help it when it's running on the standby generator.   Maybe 5 years ago I replaced all the ducting.

Next up is my 24,000 btu shop AC.  The frame has rusted to the point where I'm surprised it holds the unit.  I think I'm going to put in a ductless split system with the inverter.

No offense to the HVAC people, but my work was superior to what I've seen them do around here (probably because they just hire unskilled guys to do most of the mechanical work), and I'm a cheap bastard.
    Options
    Our house came with an old HVAC system when we bought it, maybe 15 years old.  I kept it running for about 5 years, but the wires from the compressor started heating up and I knew it was a matter of time.

So I ordered, off eBay, new equipment.  5 ton split 14 seer and a 95% (don't remember the actual efficiency) gas furnace.

Old condenser was on the ground, wanted the new unit on the roof, so welded a frame for it.  Ran all new hard copper, did the nitrogen purge when braising it.  The new equipment was too wide for the attic door, so pulled that out and put a larger door in.  High efficiency filter in attic to back up the register filter.

That was maybe 12 years ago.  The only problem we've had is a bad compressor relay, which was an easy fix.  I put a "super" (huge) capacitor in to help it when it's running on the standby generator.   Maybe 5 years ago I replaced all the ducting.

Next up is my 24,000 btu shop AC.  The frame has rusted to the point where I'm surprised it holds the unit.  I think I'm going to put in a ductless split system with the inverter.

No offense to the HVAC people, but my work was superior to what I've seen them do around here (probably because they just hire unskilled guys to do most of the mechanical work), and I'm a cheap bastard.
    The quality is horrid out here and is why I can name my price...i also am able to do design for people across the US without leaving my office...i " coach" their contractors , some balk some are open to it
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    I did my own research, and while I am not as thrifty as @nolaegghead; I was able to get a fairly good deal on the following to replace my old unit (a 14 seer Rheem/3tonHP...which was almost 20 years old).

RHMV6021SEACJA air handler and a RP2048AJVCA heat pump..variable speed compressor..

When running the test, we were able to get it to 62 in the house, it was 93 outside..

It has paid for half of itself in the 3 years of ownership...there is definitely something to the SEER efficiency

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    31 Delta T is pretty strong. 
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options

Good to hear you got yours installed yourself. My AC is at 15 years this summer, I’m getting ready. Already ordered a 1 ton mini inverter for my master. It arrives next week. Next spring I’m ordering a 4 ton mini with 5  heads for another 5 locations in the house.  I can’t wait to have each room be it’s own zone controlled by WI-FI. I respect the AC tradesmen, not trying to take from them. I’ve talked to several around here and they all push a forced air solution. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options

Good to hear you got yours installed yourself. My AC is at 15 years this summer, I’m getting ready. Already ordered a 1 ton mini inverter for my master. It arrives next week. Next spring I’m ordering a 4 ton mini with 5  heads for another 5 locations in the house.  I can’t wait to have each room be it’s own zone controlled by WI-FI. I respect the AC tradesmen, not trying to take from them. I’ve talked to several around here and they all push a forced air solution. 
    We do both forced air and ductless...all depends on what is a good fit...There is some awesome inverted forced air AND ductless out there 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @cookingdude555
    Mini Splits are fine IF they are installed properly.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    @cookingdude555
    Mini Splits are fine IF they are installed properly.
    That is true.

Its even more true for forced air systems.  So often the load calc is skipped or guessed, duct work is not measured for static pressure, and ample return is ignored.  I believe there is less that can go wrong with a mini split system than a forced air system that requires a central distribution air handler.  I have had to become a journeyman HVAC tech to deal with my own poorly installed central air system that came when my home was built.  My sister has a few high end homes and they only have mini's in them for HVAC.  The comfort is phenomenal.  Some people prefer the blowing air throughout the house, I like the near silent aspect (condenser and compressor) of the mini's.  I'm excited to get mine here.
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    two stage scroll compressor. I insisted on two stage due to the high humidity locally. I wanted either American Standard or Trane due to many recommendations and ratings. Since this guy mostly did Trane , that is what I went with.

They are the same manufacturer using different labels. The only difference is the name...equipment is the same.  Decent brand for sure.
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options

no offense taken....except only meat gets braised.....copper gets brazed lol
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    lkapigian said:

We do both forced air and ductless...all depends on what is a good fit...There is some awesome inverted forced air AND ductless out there 
    Good to see people like yourself putting in what fits best.