Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The new Modular Nest - Worth it?

Tracebuzta
Tracebuzta Posts: 23
edited June 2018 in EGG Table Forum
Wondering if anyone has bought the Modular Nest? I am seriously thinking about buying it for my XL... 

What are your opinions? 

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932

Quick thoughts. 

I have no idea what these cost, but these are the thoughts and questions I would ask myself before deciding. 

1) Buying one section doesn't make much sense.  You won't have any relevant amount of counter space on the edges surrounding your Egg.  So for any functional upgrade over the standard nest, you need to buy 2-3 units to make a complete table.

2) So....were you looking for a table?  What was your budget?  Where you going to build it yourself?  Considering you don't have to with these, how much cash is that worth to you?  I would expect these components to hold up longer than any wooden structure. 

After you've answered those questions, I think you'll have a pretty straightforward answer to the "worth it?" question every consumer should be asking. 

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Great questions above but every so often, "Life is not based on need alone..."
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Tracebuzta
    edited June 2018
    I already have the BGE cypress table, but it is really starting to show its age, and it needs to be replaced...

The modular nest for the XL starts at around $400, casters are around $50. The expansion frame is around $250 without shelves and casters.

PS: I agree that it makes a lot more sense with one or more expansion units... 
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited June 2018
    I got mine delivered and set up the day after memorial day.
    Like it a lot, built well. 
    Now I need to find a cover for it. 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Tracebuzta
    Looks good... wondering how it behaves when moving it around with the expansion attached 
  • kv1963
    kv1963 Posts: 6
    Aviator said:
    Where did you purchase your setup ? I am down the road in South Pittsburg and have looked at these at the Patio Shop there in Chattanooga 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Aviator said:
    I believe with that particular setup, the BGE table cover will fit. 
  • ChrisSonn23
    ChrisSonn23 Posts: 280
    We assembled a couple today. Seem like good quality and a nice table. Can configure any way you want.

BGE Dealer and EggHead since 2013. Find our company on Facebook
    Large BGE
    Waterloo, IL
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Not a big fan of the wire-shelfish aesthetics. They look like they belong in a closet to store your box of Christmas lights and old family photos.  Like a BGE Nest designed by Charbroil. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    I think it's pretty sharp.  Industrial chjc.  This is the first I've seen it.  Any pricing info?
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • ChrisSonn23
    SonVolt said:
    Not a big fan of the wire-shelfish aesthetics. They look like they belong in a closet to store your box of Christmas lights and old family photos.  Like a BGE Nest designed by Charbroil. 
    Our rep told us the wire shelf is more for storage of dirty things (plate setter, pizza store, etc.). 
    Large BGE
    Waterloo, IL
  • ChrisSonn23
    I think it's pretty sharp.  Industrial chjc.  This is the first I've seen it.  Any pricing info?
    It is pretty slick. The main component retails for around $425, each expansion frame is about $250. These set-ups are around $900-1,000
    Large BGE
    Waterloo, IL
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Here's one with the distressed acacia.  If you dont like the wire rack, just swap it out for wood.  Or you can always make your own inserts.
  • pgprescott
    Also have option for small or large wheels. For tall folks, the 4” wheels raise the cooking surface which is nice. 
  • stlcharcoal
    The new wheels are soooooo much better than those old ones that used to come with the wood tables.
  • conch201
    conch201 Posts: 1
    Stopped in at the local BGE retailer here in MN and took a look at the modular tables. I liked what I saw and they seemed sturdy. I agree the wire isn’t much to look at but would be great for storing dirty things.  Hey I made my first post finally!
  • Any feedback on the 3 shelves vs the cabinet. I’m debating between the 2. Would you go with the cabinet if the price were the same? (I know the cabinet is more)
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited October 2019
    @stlcharcoal. Any chance they can be assembled in a 90 degree configuration?  Or just straight across?  I am looking at making a corner style with three units.  Thoughts?
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • pgprescott
    RedSkip said:
    @stlcharcoal. Any chance they can be assembled in a 90 degree configuration?  Or just straight across?  I am looking at making a corner style with three units.  Thoughts?
    You can do just as you described.
  • RedSkip
    Thanks for the reply!
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • pgprescott
    RedSkip said:
    Thanks for the reply!
    https://images.app.goo.gl/uC4XdFgTKWxedFhH7
  • stlcharcoal
    RedSkip said:
    Yes, you can put three together for a corner unit.  You will need wheels in certain spots.  That table pictured above is missing the wheels under the egg module.  The egg one always needs 4 wheels, then the modules attached to it will need to outer wheels.

Put the units together loose, the  tighten them up ......otherwise none of it lines up.  They're not bad units, but for the $1500 you are going to spend, have @Tspud1 make you something in stainless or buy something direct from Challenger.  They're ok tables for dealer cost,  but the retail price is ridiculous.  
  • RedSkip
    They're ok tables for dealer cost,  but the retail price is ridiculous.  
    You make a solid point on the price.  Especially for it being an ‘ok’ table.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Seems for that cost, I could make the cart like i did for mine and top with remnant granite...
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    The bottom of the egg sitting directly on the steel doesn't transfer lots of heat to the table?
  • I’m thinking of replacing my wood buffet table, which has aged quickly wit two modular nest expansion cabinets with the modular 3 shelf expansion frame between them. I am not sure how I would use the 3 shelf unit. How do you all use this modular unit? Thanks!