Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help with my big butt, alas not my Wes.

GrillSgt
GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
So I’ve been gifted another large butt, really good puerco. I don’t know how much it weighs as my kitchen scale only goes to 10kg or 22lbs. I’m going to have to remove the shank so it fits on the L but it will still go over 20+.

First question is how much RW will it need, can I fill it to just shy of the platesetter? 
It will still hang over the platesetter, is that an issue? (Not thinking so)
Any suggestions what to do with that shank? Like something unique. 

I’m going 260ish. Guessing 22 hrs or so. Thanks for any advice that I like. 

Comments

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    You can fill up to the plate setter. Just put some foil underneath the parts that hang over. You planning on slicing or pulling?
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • GrillSgt
    edited June 2018
    I’m hoping to do both. Plan on pulling at 180ish, separating and putting the top half with foil back on for pulled. And thanks. 
  • GrillSgt
    Thanks. I’ll put that on the contingency list. 

Additionally it’s my first Smobot cook. I actually gave it a test run tonight. Went well. Can’t believe I did one, I’m usually full speed ahead. 
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    I've never cooked 20 pounds but I would think that's a full day cook. 20-24 hours. I'd clean the egg and stuff all the new RW I could get in it below the platesetter. As for over hanging bits, even if it loses a full pound, which I don't think you would, It's minimal.

When you split it, at 180, I'd put the shank back on with it. Then you can do anything; beans, greens, soup....  

I hope this helps.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • GrillSgt
    Thank you. That would work well. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2018
    I would guess that it won’t take as long as you might think because it is a long somewhat cylindrical shape. Once the length exceeds the diameter the additional cook time is mimimal. I would guestimate based on a 10 lb butt and say 15-18 hours at 260. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GrillSgt
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    GrillSgt said:
    On at 1:03. 
    You know what they say about pics...
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited June 2018
    If you filled to the PS, you should have plenty of lump. This was an 18 hour butt cook with Wicked Good. Didn't even start with a full load. EDIT... Large egg.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    bone broth with the shank for bean soup (its still cold in the mornings here) or freeze it for a porkloin gravy
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrillSgt
    jeffwit said:
    GrillSgt said:
    On at 1:03. 
    You know what they say about pics...
    This will have to do because I’m not opening it up until this evening. 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited June 2018
    Cut it into 1/2 inch thick pork steaks, 600 degrees for 3 minutes a side.   Nice and dry, just like Mom used to make! =)=)  

(Two smiley faces just in case anyone on the site is extra tender today)
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Cut it into 1/2 inch thick pork steaks, 600 degrees for 3 minutes a side.   Nice and dry, just like Mom used to make! =)=)  

(Two smiley faces just in case anyone on the site is extra tender today)
    The reference literally made me LOL.  That thread is beyond sunk -- it's been beefaloed.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • GrillSgt
    edited June 2018

5 hrs in. Seems to be cooking pretty fast. I don’t particularly want to get up in the middle of the night. What do you think? I’m going to lower the temp. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Doubt you'll go 22hrs. It should be about the same time as a butt.

What you have is a whole shoulder  that includes the picnic and  the butt(Butchers cut the top butt into two typically).

The picnic has a good amount of white meat in it  which I like. 

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • GrillSgt
    I’m removing that to slice. That is temp 1. I’m just trying to get a full nights sleep. Oh well. 
  • GrillSgt

So it’s been a weird cook. I’ll go over that tomorrow. No stall yet and both probes are at 165ish. Smells outrageous when lifting the lid which isn’t typical. We shall see. 
  • GrillSgt
    edited June 2018
    Hit 180 at 5am but it didn’t separate like I wanted and not a great bark so I put it all back on. In a bit of a stall now. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    Looks quite a bit better than the last pic.  How much rub did you use?  I ask because I think the lack of bark is due to maybe not having enough rub on the butt in the first place.  I bet it still turns out great though, but sounds like you still have a ways to go.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GrillSgt
    1/2 cup Dizzy Dust 1/2 cup Swamp Venom 1/4 cup Pineapple Head.
  • GrillSgt
    Must be out of fuel as grill temp dropping. 22 1/2 hrs some at 225 and some at 260. Looks like the final temp of the butt will be 195. I will head home in a few minutes and foil it with some liquid, not sure what.
  • GrillSgt

Thanks for the input. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Man, that's NICE. Were you out of fuel?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GrillSgt
    There were embers but everything had been caught. Man this smobot thing is a game changer for me. 
  • GrillSgt
    Leftovers. Pulled pork taco with pickled onion, tomato, Mexican farmers cheese. Wife’s world famous Spanish rice and grilled avocado salad (needs work but will be xclnt by summers end) inspired by @parkctex. Wife swore it was one of the best tacos ever, used Penzeys Mexican Now  with some chipotle.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Nice! But I'm just curious who this "Wes" is that you used to imply in a negative manner? OR did you really mean to identify this "Wes Johnson" who resides in Indianalopis, IN  whose word isn't even worth a lousy $11? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.