Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackstone flaking

is this normal? Had the table for 2-3 months and it’s been covered the whole time.
Wasn’t sure if this was normal or the start of rust developing

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    What did you season it with?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    You sure that's not the seasoning from past cooks flaking off? 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited June 2018
    If that is your griddle surface, it has to be your seasoning layers flaking off. It's rolled steel. Steel is not going to flake and it's not rust. Just scrape it with a putty knife or sharp spatula, wipe it off and keep cooking.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SonVolt
    edited June 2018
    I worked the flat-top at a restaurant back in college. We used one of these grill scrapers to scrape the steel surface clean at the end of each shift.  I'm pretty sure you're just looking at food gunk and/or seasoning and not rust. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited June 2018
    Agreed looks like seasoning buildup. You can especially notice this around the drain. Do as above, just scrape off with a putty knife and fry up some bacon afterwards.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Focker said:
    What did you season it with?
    I did mine with Flax Oil, based on the info from Blackstone.  Last weekend, I pulled out the sander to remove everything and start over.  With all the issues that have been reported, I am surprised they still recommend Flax.

Raleigh, NC
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    I just used Crisco. 2 coats. Then after it cooled back down, the next morning I cooked a pound of bacon. Haven't had any issues at all.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    SonVolt said:
    I worked the flat-top at a restaurant back in college. We used one of these grill scrapers to scrape the steel surface clean at the end of each shift.  I'm pretty sure you're just looking at food gunk and/or seasoning and not rust. 

I got one of these on amazon for mine, works great.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JRWhitee
    @Doubleegger suggested I use Grapeseed oil which I did and it worked great, no flaking at all. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SonVolt
    edited June 2018
    This is coming from Cook's Illustrated so apparently there's some validity to using Flax Oil as a seasoning.  

Flaxseed oil is the food-grade equivalent of linseed oil, used by artists to give their paintings a hard, polished finish, and it boasts six times the amount of omega-3 fatty acids as vegetable oil. Over prolonged exposure to high heat, these fatty acids combine to form a strong, solid matrix that polymerizes to the pan’s surface.

Keep in mind, some people use way too much oil during the seasoning process which creates a very fragile seasoning layer that's prone to flaking off. You want a very very thin layer baked on before adding more. This means wiping most of the oil off with a paper towel so it's just a hint of shine to the surface. You also want to scrape off all stuck on food and gunk after a cook... some incorrectly think leaving crap on there improves the seasoning layer.  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    i just cooked bacon on mine and ate it =)  worked a hundred years ago, still works now
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

With all the stripping and re-seasoning it has caused, it's hard to fathom flaxseed oil is still being pushed.

As fishlessman said, bacon grease / lard has worked forever without issue.  If it ain't broke...

Phoenix 
  • BobDanger
    BobDanger Posts: 323
    Used olive oil...then cooked a pound of bacon...no issues since. I scrap all the left overs off when done then put a light coat of veg oil.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    I think that's key with these blackstones.  Keep them oiled - before, after, and during a cook.
    Phoenix 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    JRWhitee said:
    @Doubleegger suggested I use Grapeseed oil which I did and it worked great, no flaking at all. 
    Glad it worked out for you Jim. 
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    I use either vegetable or olive oil when cooking. After each cook I wipe off the heavy stuff/food remnants and while still hot/warm I apply a generous amount of grapeseed oil and spread evenly with a paper towel. No issues on next cook. Buy you a thing of grapeseed oil from Costco and use it after each cook. 
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• SonVolt
    Grapeseed oil is relatively expensive. Personally I'd buy the cheapest generic vegetable oil that Piggly Wiggly has. 
  • JRWhitee
    SonVolt said:
    Grapeseed oil is relatively expensive. Personally I'd buy the cheapest generic vegetable oil that Piggly Wiggly has. 
    This place aint Cheap!  =)

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    JRWhitee said:
    SonVolt said:
    This place aint Cheap!  =)
    Agreed! I know it isn't cheap but getting a big jug at Costco will last me a while. I only have to season the 17in BS, not the 36in. 
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• SonVolt
    I recently switched from Canola to Grapeseed as my vegetable oil of choice for general cooking when I'm not using butter or olive oil. I'll never touch Canola again, bleh. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2018
    I'm probably the biggest cheap a$$ here, and I never considered the price of any, especially grapeseed.  I get it at Aldi.

I keep several on hand, Kerrygold, Kerrygold ghee, lard, tallow, veg oil, Colavita evoo, oo, corn for frying tortillas, peanut for stir fry.  Used to have a high end evoo, but stick with Colavita for general uses. They all have their purposes in the kitchen, both indoors and out.

And for the record let's be clear, Cooks' Illustrated is not gospel.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I haven't used my BS17 for at least 6 months. Been in my garage under its OEM canvas cover. Just went out to see how badly it was rusted and was pleased to find that it was not. I rarely use it, but that doesn't mean I want it rusted when I DO use it!

I originally seasoned it with canola as I recall, and then "stir fried" some green onions (as with a wok). Canola's also what I wipe it with after each cook. I've only cooked bacon in it a couple of times and a whole pound only once. I squirt with water and scrape it clean after each cook, then wipe on a thin coat of canola. So seasoning is mostly canola. So far, so good.

The Blackstone is one of those purchases I shouldn't have made. Glad I didn't buy a 36! I've had it a couple of years now and doubt I've used it a dozen times! But at least it seems to be well seasoned. =)

@Focker, I didn't know Aldi sold grapeseed oil. I'll check it out. Thanks!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SonVolt
    Grapeseed sold at Aldis is probably spent motor oil. 

Cook’s Illustrated is a reliable source, never said they were gospel.