Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to cook with chimichurri sauce?

Making homemade chimichurri sauce, what do you recommend to cook for it?? Thanks!
L, M, MM "These pretzels are making me thirsty"

Comments

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Steak/ beef is my recommendation- specifically tri tip or skirt  steak. Slice across the grain...
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    I'll put chimichurri on just about any protein.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Steak or Spatchcocked chicken.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Chimichurri is killer on reverse seared thick poke chops. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    We put it on thick-cut pork chops.  Killer!!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I only tried it once, quite a while ago, with beef (probably a steak of some sort). Found a Mallmann recipe (from his book, Seven Fires) that sounded and looked good. It wasn't, not for me anyway. I wanted to like it though, because it looks delicious! And it was from Mallmann! If anyone should know, I figured it'd be a world famous Argentine chef! The recipe simply said, "serve with grilled meats." 

http://nymag.com/restaurants/recipes/inseason/58057/

Hmm, I just looked at the recipe again and really don't see why I wouldn't have liked it. The only ingredient I see that might have done it is the vinegar - maybe I used too much? Or I did something else wrong. Maybe time to try again. If you care to share your recipe, that'd be cool!

Not my pic, Mallmann's from Seven Fires...
    Image result for mallmann seven fires

Hope your cook goes (went?) well!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Beef...(and other stuff). We love chimi
    and use it mostly with beef. That said, it’s loaded with fresh herb flavor and vinegar. I could eat it with a spoon and be happy. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Kcheves
    Kcheves Posts: 92
    edited June 2018
    Best in beef, but is good (pardon the GF reference) on a flip flop.

"Semper ubi sub ubi"

San Diego, CA

• Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Like everyone says, put i on just about anything. I always make it for steak, but use it on eggs, baked/mashed potatoes, you name it.
    Toronto ON
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    It’s awesome with beef/steak
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    As mentioned beef for the win- really pairs well with flat-irons.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    I break down a leg of lamb into the 7 muscles that make it up. It’s very easy as they naturally separate. Marinate with evoo and a ton of garlic, salt and pepper and grill hot to 130ish. Always serve with a chimi. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    My fav is skirt steak, but if you can make some boneless chicken thighs extra crispy, that is a very, very close 2nd. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2018
    I only tried it once, quite a while ago, with beef (probably a steak of some sort). Found a Mallmann recipe (from his book, Seven Fires) that sounded and looked good. It wasn't, not for me anyway. I wanted to like it though, because it looks delicious! And it was from Mallmann! If anyone should know, I figured it'd be a world famous Argentine chef! The recipe simply said, "serve with grilled meats." 

http://nymag.com/restaurants/recipes/inseason/58057/

Hmm, I just looked at the recipe again and really don't see why I wouldn't have liked it. The only ingredient I see that might have done it is the vinegar - maybe I used too much? Or I did something else wrong. Maybe time to try again. If you care to share your recipe, that'd be cool!

Not my pic, Mallmann's from Seven Fires...
    Image result for mallmann seven fires

Hope your cook goes (went?) well!

The vinegar adds the brightness/acidity to help cut through a fatty piece of beef. Chimi  can be jarring at first if you're not used to it, especially if you're like me and don't tend to pair steak with condiments. Fresh Oregano is also kinda stout which I don't always like (a little goes a long way). I've had other recipes that sub in Cilantro for the Oregano and it's more smooth, less in your face. 

Mallman's addition of water is odd... I guess that's traditional? I'll have to try it. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    I’ve been making a version lately & added a little agave nectar or honey & some Dijon mustard.  SWMBO loves it on grilled veggies.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • garthb4903
    garthb4903 Posts: 115
    Thanks for all your input, decided on a wild card- fish!  The tuna and halibut looked too good to pass up, it worked really well.
    L, M, MM "These pretzels are making me thirsty"
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2018
    Your Chimi is a lot thicker than I'm used to, looks like a paste. All the one's I've had have been much looser with more olive oil than herbs.  
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    It went nicely with the pork loin I made tonight:

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker