Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

temp problems

Options
4th cook, been doing fine with all meats.  Tonite I can’t get temp above 200 with egg thermometer or digital.  Wide open, no ash in bottom.  80 degrees outside, light rain.   Any suggestions? 

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Your fire grate holes aren't plugged with small pieces of charcoal are they? 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Spence2swim
    Options
    May have been the problem.  Moved around and poked.   Up to 300 in about 2 minutes.  Thanks for the quick reply.  First steak cook and need it hot!! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Always remember, the BGE is a simple cooking machine.  Once you have fuel and an ignition source, then the thing runs on air-flow.  Manage the air-flow and control the cook temp via the fire volume.  The preceding does not account for running out of fuel late in the cook.  FWIW-
    Edit:  Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options

You can avoid this with a Kick Ash Basket!

https://www.kickashbasket.com/

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Spence2swim
    Options
    Steaks are unreal.   Thanks for the quick tips.   Used BGE charcoal and 3/4 of the bag was small.   Gonna try Rockwood (live in MO so may as well support.)   Peace all - time to eat 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Steaks are unreal.   Thanks for the quick tips.   Used BGE charcoal and 3/4 of the bag was small.   Gonna try Rockwood (live in MO so may as well support.)   Peace all - time to eat 
    BINGO! Your steaks were just another magic moment thanks to BGE. 

BTW where in MO? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Always remember that the major determining factor on the size of the pieces in the bag is how the bag was handled during its trip from the manufacturer to you.  @RRP has a method he uses to judge how well a bag survived transport - worth a search and read.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Spence2swim
    Options
    RRC I’m in O’Fallon MO.  jtcB thanks, will do!!