Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Any HVAC technicians out there? Is my a/c bill in-line?

Options
I recently had a HVAC technician repair my central a/c unit.  They diagnosed the unit 3lbs low on R-410A refrigerant.  They added refrigerant, perhaps did some additional checking to ensure proper operation of unit (although bill doesn't state that).  Unit is working better.  Total charge $280.  I wasn't home at the time so I have no idea how long they were there and I didn't have time to get any other bids (shame on me).  Just curious if this cost seems in-line.  I'm not looking to nickle and dime the HVAC guy as he's a nice guy and deserves to be paid a fair rate for a job I couldn't do.  Plus he came the same day I called.  But I also want to ensure I'm being treated fairly as it's the first time I've used him.  Again, I don't care if it could vary $30 either side but I do care if it seems way more expensive for this type of repair.  I'm located in MN.  Thanks in advance.  

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,091
    Options
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    edited June 2018
    Options
    38 years in myself ...pricing is very regional , but we won't knock on your door for les lthan 125.....for a 410a top off that's reasonable  no matter where you are....gas tires insurance burden tech pay I doubt there was $ 5 dollars profit it that
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Price is in line.   Question is where is the leak?  Is it in the OD unit or indoor coil?  How old?  Is the coil in warranty?  You could have outdoor or indoor coil replaced under warranty (Coil covered, labor not unless than 1 year old from installing contractor). If it leaked 3lbs, it will be a reoccurring problem. 
  • seedman76
    seedman76 Posts: 19
    Options
    The invoice said he found a loose Schrader valve. He tightened that and then added the refrigerant. So hopefully that takes care of the leak. Unit is 8 years old. Knowing the cost is in-line I went ahead and paid him today. Overnight a cold front went through and  our temps dropped into the 60s so I never needed to run the ac today. Thanks for the info. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    seedman76 said:
    The invoice said he found a loose Schrader valve. He tightened that and then added the refrigerant. So hopefully that takes care of the leak. Unit is 8 years old. Knowing the cost is in-line I went ahead and paid him today. Overnight a cold front went through and  our temps dropped into the 60s so I never needed to run the ac today. Thanks for the info. 
    Loose Schrader core :rofl:
    Yes, let's hope that solves it. Not saying it won't but, this is such a faux pas with inexperienced and lazy techs.
    And what do you mean (rhetorical)... "Knowing the cost is in-line I went ahead and paid him today."
    I didn't realize it was negotiable?  What is it that you do for an occupation to put food on your family's dinner table?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Went ahead and paid lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololollolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololollolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololollolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololollolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololollolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololollolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololollolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I told a guy the other night that their addition to the house means they need a larger geothermal system than what they had. Then i told him the cost and he freaked out. Some peoples kids. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    seedman76 said:
    Loose Schrader core :rofl:
    Yes, let's hope that solves it. Not saying it won't but, this is such a faux pas with inexperienced and lazy techs.
    And what do you mean (rhetorical)... "Knowing the cost is in-line I went ahead and paid him today."
    I didn't realize it was negotiable?  What is it that you do for an occupation to put food on your family's dinner table?
    I cringe with that one.....but it happens

I will,say, if that indoor coil is copper, there is a high probability that is where your leak is
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Went to the fresh fish market today.  Picked up some fresh caught Scamp Grouper and extra large Mayport shrimp. Grouper was caught locally within last few days indicated by eye clarity and coloration of gills and shrimp was just arriving. I had the guys fillet the fish and as always they saved me the cheeks and head meat :smile: 
    I told them I needed to check to see if their price was inline before I pay.  But, then damndest thing happened.  They wouldn't let me leave the store without paying first. I told them I would get back to them in the next couple of days after getting clarification through the Egghead forum but they didn't go for it. :lol: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Went ahead and paid lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololollolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololollolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololollolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololollolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololollolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololollolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololollolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol
    And I’m sure they’ll bust their hump to get out there next time....
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,303
    Options
    It looks like I will find out tomorrow for myself. Central unit is 1 year 7 months old and it was 83 inside at 11 o'clock last night. The thermostat was showing 3 degrees cooler but I have this useful instant read doohickey,
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    It looks like I will find out tomorrow for myself. Central unit is 1 year 7 months old and it was 83 inside at 11 o'clock last night. The thermostat was showing 3 degrees cooler but I have this useful instant read doohickey,
    I had an a/c guy working on the unit one day and I broke out the thermapen to check the air coming out of the vent and he said "that is a meat thermometer, that won't work for this."
    Do anything that you wanna do, but don't try putting stink on my blue suede thermapen.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,303
    Options
    I had an a/c guy working on the unit one day and I broke out the thermapen to check the air coming out of the vent and he said "that is a meat thermometer, that won't work for this."
    Do anything that you wanna do, but don't try putting stink on my blue suede thermapen.
    Mine is superior, it's red!
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Orange.  As in Big Orange.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    TN_Egger said:
    Mine has a silicone condom on it. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    TN_Egger said:
    Mine has a silicone condom on it. 
    to protect it from STD's?

Serious temperature differential…

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Last A/C service I had, he gave me the bill and I told him I had to check the BBQ forum before I paid him.  He was totally cool with that.  Said he hears that all the time.
    NOLA