Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long can you keep vac sealed frozen pulled pork?

Options
dstearn
dstearn Posts: 1,702
I was planning on making a pulled pork pizza this weekend. I have a few vac sealed bags of pulled pork dated 8/17.
Is it past the date that I could defrost them and use them?

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    If the seal looks intact, you should be fine.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    edited June 2018
    Options
    It's safe to eat.    Like Photo Egg said, you'll probably notice changes in the texture, but the taste will be the same.   Also, I find the pork stays moist when I drop the frozen vac sealed bag into a pot of boiling water instead of defrosting slowly in the fridge or quickly in the microwave.  

And don't forget to post pulled pork pizza pics! :)  Yum! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    As long as you have a good seal you're good. I pulled 4 prime strips out of the freezer at the lake and realized they were 18 months old. I guess I didn't do a good job of eating from the back. Those things were dynamite.
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    Same as everyone else on here, the food is fine.  Air is the enemy to food in the freezer in terms of changing the taste, traditionally referred to as freezer burn.

Things that increase storage time without damage are a high quality chamber vacuum sealer with thicker (4 mil) bags and the seal never being disturbed.  And, high fat content maintains meats much, much longer.  So, you should have plenty of fat in with pulled pork and you're not even at the 12 month mark.

I've kept wagyu steaks and roasts sealed in 4 mil bags for a couple of years with no deleterious effect.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • dstearn
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I set the frozen vac sealed pack in the fridge to defrost. Plan is to make a BBQ pizza with Blue Hogs Championship blend as the sauce.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    dstearn said:
    Thanks everyone. I set the frozen vac sealed pack in the fridge to defrost. Plan is to make a BBQ pizza with Blue Hogs Championship blend as the sauce.
    We will be needing pictures.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    As "should I eat it" threads go, this one is pretty boring so far.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• dstearn
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Stay Tuned. It will get exciting when I post pulled pork pizza images tomorrow.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    dstearn said:
    HeavyG said:
    Stay Tuned. It will get exciting when I post pulled pork pizza images tomorrow.
    One of my all time favorites.  Hard to beat the combo of PP and Pizza!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • dstearn
    Options
    The pizza came out great!

• Lwoodie
    Lwoodie Posts: 7
    Options
    I've kept them over a year ...