Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weekend Carnitas - pic heavy and long

Options
xfire_ATX
xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
I had been wanting to cook a butt for a while now, picked up this pack at Costco but before I made it I read this  thread on Mojo Carnitas and thought for sure it was worth a go...
https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1181812/mojo-smoked-pork-carnitas-tacos/p1

Pack from Costco

Had a hard time following all the parts and pieces to that recipe, SWMBO wanted to use a Bobby Flay version so somewhere between the two I came up with this Marinade

Rubbed all over one ~8# Butt and let it sit overnight- the Marinade likely could have done ~11# of butt

Took @KiterTodd advice and cooked it a day early and also I had more to cook yesterday

My standard lump mix...

After ~2.5 hours on the egg the Mojo Mix ready to go

And pulled

So on Memorial Day I made a Spatch Chicken

some grilled Corn and some Andouille Sausage

Then my brother shows up and asks for this hunk of rib-eye to get cooked

Final Plated Carnitas

Can only tell you it was so worth all the work- every person who ate it had nothing but high praise.

We had Sliced Avocado, Cojiba Cheese, Torchys Diablo Sauce to add to your choice of flour, corn or street taco Tortillas

Recipe-
Marinade
2 tablespoons canola oil
4 sprigs fresh thyme
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 heaping tablespoons ancho chile powder
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
3/4 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
(2) chipotle in adobo, finely chopped
1 T dried cilantro
1 T sea salt
1 T black pepper
1 T crushed red pepper 

For the Mojo
1.5 cups OJ
the juice of one lime
lots of crushed garlic (at least half a head)
4 tspn Mexican Oregano
½ tspn Black Pepper
(1) Red Pepper diced
(1) Red Onion diced
(1) Sliced Jalapeno
(1) chipotle in adobo

Actual cook used @kitertodd method.
XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 

Comments

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Wow -- that all looks spectacular!  Whole lotta work, but boy, it looks great.  Wish I'd been a guest!  :)
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    Looks great!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    bookmarked!
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    That looks great!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Nice cook!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Bravo!
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Wow! Wish I had stopped by :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    Looks Great !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    That's awesome!  Glad you tried it.

It's also a nice reminder for me because I had forgotten about this recipe. :)  I made ribs this year, but will make the Mojo again for the next event.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    That's awesome!  Glad you tried it.

It's also a nice reminder for me because I had forgotten about this recipe. :)  I made ribs this year, but will make the Mojo again for the next event.
    We do an extended family Texas Coast Trip for Labor day ~30 straight years until Hurricane Harvey screwed up the coast last year.  I was already told "You will be bringing this recipe for your families meal"
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president.