Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Assembly

Hi there fellow BGE owners, I am now the proud owner of a Large BGE so naturally I joined this site to get plenty of info and feedback from experienced owners. I had my BGE assembled by a local authorized "silver" dealer. After looking at plenty of pictures and videos of other Eggs, I am wondering if mine was properly assembled. I have attached 2 photos. I realize I am probably just worried or being nit-picky but I was hoping for some feedback. I noticed that the front of most BGEs I have seen line up from top to bottom with the thermometer, handle, and lower vent hole (between the legs of the nest) in a line. the top of mine seems to be off centered. Is this going to be an issue in any way? Should something be done? I don't really care that it's not perfectly centered, but I don't want to run into any issues after making a pretty expensive purchase.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in a advance!

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    I don't think it will cause anything to not work properly, but personally that would drive me insane. It should be lined up as you described. To me that looks like complete laziness on the part of the dealer. I take it when you open the dome it is opening to around the 1 o'clock position is this correct? If so it could cause issues later if you ever want to take it out of the nest and put on a table. I would call the dealer and tell them to come out and fix it.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• YettiLuke
    YettiLuke Posts: 8
    I am not sure if is an issue or not, bu there are alignment dots under the band in the front center that when aligned top and bottom make the BGE pieces centered. This does not look like it was done judging by your photos. Again not sure if that is an issue, my guess is no as long as it passes the dollar bill test.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,331
    The cross brace on the nest needs to be on the hinge side of the dome. I would make them come back out and reset the base in the nest and fix the dome alignment
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    ColtsFan said:
    The cross brace on the nest needs to be on the hinge side of the dome. I would make them come back out and reset the base in the nest and fix the dome alignment

Good catch. I didn't even notice that. I was too busy seeing the dome off by about 5-6 inches.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Complete laziness, the cross brace needs to be in the back as said and who wants a sideways dome. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    The dealer doesn't deserve your business. Once they fix the installation issues, my suggestion is that you buy accessories from a different dealer. 
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    @dambrosia18 welcome to the asylum, where you located?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    The people that assembled that should be ashamed.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Located in CT.. I am new to this so I would have never caught any of these issues besides the fact that it is off centered.. really unfortunate after such a pricey purchase
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    There is always the possibility of minor issues with egg assembly, but this goes far beyond that. Unacceptable 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    If the dealer gives you any trouble, tell him to look at the assembly instructions that come with the egg. It has drawings showing how things are supposed to line up.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    edited May 2018
    Yeah, that dealer gets an F+.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    It happens.  Whenever I get bad service my wife reminds me that the person is very similar to my teenager and we all know they are running on about 50% of their rated brainpower.  As others have stated, give the dealer a chance to correct it, or you can easily do it yourself if you dont want the hassle of taking it back or waiting for someone to come out.  I can understand your frustration, but rest assured it is not broken and can be resolved. Welcome to the egg cult, you are about to lose a lot of money to this habit.
  • Thanks everyone for the feedback, appreciate it being a newbie and all. Spoke with the owner of the dealership and he was very apologetic and cool about the whole situation. Offered to make a house call to correct the situation. I'm guessing an employee who didn't know (or care) much put mine together. I'll take him up on his offer- hopefully he sends someone out who can fix my setup and who knows maybe i'll learn a thing or two from them. Wish me luck!
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,642
    Assembled by a millennial 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Fastfish
    Fastfish Posts: 31
    Fix it or your steaks will be dry. That would drive me insane!