Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bourbon News

Options

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:
    Ended up going later and got a bottle for me and one for a bourbon loving buddy. If it's as good as i'm hoping, i'll be hunting down more. 

Going for a walk with the wife now. Might pour a taster when I get back to compliment all the friday night beer.
    How did you like it?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Now that the year is almost 1/2 over, I found a release calendar for the bourbon industry.

Pretty cool web page.

http://www.breakingbourbon.com/release-list.html

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Options
    I might try Wild Turkey Longbranch someday. I will get Old Overholt Bonded Rye. That’s only $25. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Around here, we refer to Wild Turkey as the "Kickin' Chicken."

It has legions of fans. Occasionally they will do special releases of 10 and 15 year barrelled batches. Only available at the Distillery or at a function like Fraziers, mentioned previously, which is a museum here in Louisville that has had some very interesting exhibits, and hosts bourbon celebrations.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Found the McKenna at a small very local store within a short bike ride from my place.  They had three bottle, so I grabbed two of them.  Had a nice conversation with the cashier, and he said he never had McKenna and wasn't aware of the recent accolades.  I asked about Weller, and he said there is nowhere in the Tampa Bay area that has it (sorry @CTMike).  He also said he could get some Pappy for a not so crazy price.  I said, "no thanks, there's a guy I know at Butt Blast that has some and likes to share."  He called the cops and banned me from entering his store ever again.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    FrostyEgg said:
    Ended up going later and got a bottle for me and one for a bourbon loving buddy. If it's as good as i'm hoping, i'll be hunting down more. 

Going for a walk with the wife now. Might pour a taster when I get back to compliment all the friday night beer.
    How did you like it?
    Finally poured a taster. I'm 100% satisfied. It has the 100 proof burn right on the bat, but that quickly fades into an amazing taste and a super smooth finish. I'll be snagging a few more bottles for sure.

I grabbed a bottle for a bourbon loving buddy too, so i'll get his opinion as well.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    That is a fantastic review, and THANK YOU for posting, That bourbon has created a lot of stir around here, locally. Places are selling out.
    This might become a vintage keeper.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • FrostyEgg
    Options
    Agreed. I'm grabbing a few bottles to put away for awhile. It was on the bottom shelf at Total Wine...absolutely would have passed it by had I not been looking for it.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Had a conversation with a friend, who is entrenched in the distillery business, which implied that Mckenna was exactly what the business of bourbon needed.
    He said supplies are not limited yet, but, it will not be long.
    So if you are interested, buy what you can.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Had a conversation with a friend, who is entrenched in the distillery business, which implied that Mckenna was exactly what the business of bourbon needed.
    One of the Bourbon Facebook groups I’m in, says the same thing. One guy bought a case to be sure he wouldn’t get shut out. 
    Member since 2009
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Suffering the consequences of this thread.  
  • YukonRon
    Options
    500 said:
    YukonRon said:
    One of the Bourbon Facebook groups I’m in, says the same thing. One guy bought a case to be sure he wouldn’t get shut out. 
    Here in Louisville, some facilities have put them on a 2 bottle, maximum purchase. Prices are about to get jacked around here I suppose.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Have you tried it yet?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Thanks, Ron. I’ll definitely give it a try. I get tired of paying $100/bottle for Weller 12, and would welcome the extra $ in my wallet! 
    That is if you can find Weller 12. Allocation has been scarce at best with only limited releases in spring and fall, at least around here.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Man at center of Pappy Van Winkle heist sentenced to 15 years in prison

Remember the great Pappy Van Winkle heist? Today, the man at the center of it all, Gilbert “Toby” Curtsinger, was sentenced to 15 years in prison.

From 2008-15, Curtsinger and eight associates stole over $100,000 worth of bourbon, selling the bottles of Pappy to outside buyers for $800/bottle. Police were able to recover 17 barrels of bourbon, 20 cases of Pappy, and one stainless steel barrel of Eagle Rare worth $12,000. Officials said it was more whisky than one person could drink in a lifetime. 

Sadly, the barrels had to be destroyed because could have been tampered with, a crime in itself.

Sumbitch deserves more than 15 years.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    500 said:
    YukonRon said:
    Here in Louisville, some facilities have put them on a 2 bottle, maximum purchase. Prices are about to get jacked around here I suppose.
    I think it's a great bourbon.  And it's on sale here this month for $29.  It is becoming a limited supply around here as well.  There are an average of 6 bottles at every store I look at their online inventory.  There is a mad rush to find Stagg Jr. right now.  Very limited.  
    Member since 2009
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Have you tried it yet?
    Sorry for the delay. Yes. It was very good. We killed that bottle between the three of us.  
  • YukonRon
    Options

Malted whiskey anyone?

Woodford Reserve announces the release of Woodford Reserve Kentucky Straight Malt Whiskey, a blended malt whiskey based on historical recipes and influenced by Woodford Reserve Bourbon. The Malt is the newest expression to the Woodford Reserve portfolio, which includes the original Woodford Reserve Bourbon, Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, and Woodford Reserve Rye. This fourth addition of Woodford Reserve’s 22-year-old brand showcases the distillery’s rich 206-year-old history crafting America’s favorite spirits in its purest form. Driven by Master Distiller Chris Morris, known for creating the world’s first bourbon finished in Chardonnay and Pinot Noir Barrels, the new malt expression illustrates his keen eye for craftsmanship while keeping the integral character of Woodford Reserve at heart. Woodford Reserve Malt will be available for purchase nationwide beginning in June 2018.

The grain bill of Woodford Reserve Malt is 51 percent malt, resulting in a whiskey that complements the nutty characteristics found in the original Woodford Reserve.

“Our newest permanent expression, Woodford Reserve Kentucky Straight Malt Whiskey, highlights Woodford Reserve’s creativity, innovative spirit, and dedication to making the world’s best tasting whiskeys,” said Master Distiller Chris Morris. “Inspired by history and a distinct flavor profile, Woodford Reserve is charting its own unique path with this new malt whiskey based on historical precedence and our commitment to flavor, something that’s ingrained in everything we do.”

Coming out of Prohibition, the Federal Government approved four straight whiskey standards: Bourbon, Rye, Wheat, and Malt. These reflected the types of whiskies produced in the United States prior to Prohibition. While most people associate Malt Whiskey with Scotland, Kentucky has a history of Malt Whiskey production pre-Prohibition. Woodford Reserve Malt draws upon this pre-Prohibition heritage for inspiration.

Continuing its innovation in bourbon crafting, Woodford Reserve Malt is the fourth permanent line extension to join the portfolio, which includes the original Woodford Reserve Bourbon, Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, and Woodford Reserve Rye.

Woodford Reserve Malt is produced with the same heritage and tradition that surrounds the iconic Woodford Reserve Distillery in Versailles, Kentucky. Since the mid-1800s, the site has been known for its visionary approach to distilling, and is today is visited by more than 140,000 visitors each year.

Woodford Reserve Malt presents at 90.4 proof, with a suggested retail price of $34.99 for a 750ml bottle.

Tasting Notes for Woodford Reserve Malt 

• Color: Warm Umber
    • Aroma: Soft nutty notes drizzled with light caramel and milk chocolate coat a light layer of tropical fruit character. Delicate hints of brown spice, mint, brown sugar and soft oak float beneath.
    • Taste: Dark chocolate and caramel covered nuts are dried out with a sprinkle of cocoa and brown spice. Faint ripe tropical fruit brighten a trace of toasted coconut and oak.
    • Finish: Nutty with a subtly sweet chocolate malt note that endures.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    Just grabbed a bottle of Whistle Pig 10yr while on a beer run for the office.

Yes, the company bought ;)
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Police were able to recover 17 barrels of bourbon, 20 cases of Pappy, and one stainless steel barrel of Eagle Rare worth $12,000. Officials said it was more whisky than one person could drink in a lifetime. 

• YukonRon
    Options
    18 barrels of bourbon and 22 cases. That is a lot of bourbon folks.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

OLD FITZGERALD BOTTL NJED-IN-BOND BOURBON REVIEW

In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Patrick "Pops" GarrettMay 29, 2018

As the leader of the Bottled-in-Bond category, Heaven Hill is proud to offer a premium, allocated product within this special class that showcases the authenticity and quality of the American Whiskey portfolio.Heaven Hill
    CLICK TO EXPLORE OUR COMPLETE LIBRARY OF REVIEWS TO HELP YOU CHOOSE YOUR NEXT PERFECT BOTTLE.

OLD FITZGERALD BOTTLED-IN-BOND BOURBON

• DISTILLER: Heaven Hill
    • MASH BILL: 75% Corn | 20% Wheat | 5% Malted Barley
    • YEAR: 2018
    • PROOF: 100 (50% ABV)
    • MSRP: $110.00
    • BUY ONLINE: Wine-searcher.com
    NOSE: Buttery | Tobacco | Apricot | Oak

TASTE: Watered Down Vanilla & Caramel | Buttery Oak | Black Pepper

FINISH: A moderately long finish that is dry, spicy and oak forward. Despite the oak forwardness of the finish it never turns bitter – just hot and dry. All of the magic appears to be in the nose on this whiskey.

SHARE WITH: Share this one with fellow bourbon geeks who are curious about this release and how it compares to other wheaters.

WORTH THE PRICE: Afraid not. I would put this one solidly in the $30 bracket.

BOTTLE, BAR OR BUST: Don’t let the marketing and decanter fool you folks. This is a try it before you buy it whiskey.

OVERALL: Let me start by saying that if tasting blind, this would be a perfectly drinkable whiskey. I wouldn’t spit it out and pawn it off on someone else. I would drink it. Moreover, if you poured me another glass, I would drink that as well. However, the reality is that I didn’t drink it blindly. I drank it knowing quite well that it retailed for $110 and came in a fancy decanter. So thus, my expectations were set high – as they should be based on the packaging and pricing.

The nose  is fantastic and really got me excited about the bottle’s potential. It was buttery with lovely notes of tobacco and apricot slathered on a substantial slice of oak. I anticipated a thick, oily mouthfeel with heavy flavors but was disappointed to be greeted by a thin, watered-down combination of vanilla, caramel, and spicy black pepper. Sure, there was some buttery oak, but it didn’t lend enough oomph to the experience. While the finish had some length, it wasn’t very flavorful or memorable. It sure didn’t taste or finish like an 11-year old bourbon.

For $110 a bourbon needs to be memorable. It needs to be far better than anything I can get for less than $80 and needs to be superior to previous expressions within the same brand label family. Sadly, this one missed the mark.

This release is a prime example of a distillery jumping the shark and doing itself more harm than good. Heaven Hill is one of the most respected bourbon distilleries in the market and legions of fans – myself included – love their products. However, they missed the mark on this one. It’s a solid bourbon by most measures but dressing it up in fancy decanter does not make it worth $110. Save your money and stock up on Larceny, Elijah Craig or Evans Williams.

Learn more about Pop’s whiskey preferences and check out more of his reviews…

OLD FITZGERALD BOTTLED-IN-BOND BOURBON BACKGROUND INFO

BARDSTOWN, KY – Heaven Hill Distillery announced today the release of a limited-edition series of Old Fitzgerald Bottled-in-Bond Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey bottlings to be released each spring and fall. Bottled in an ornate decanter, the series reflects the traditions of both the Old Fitzgerald lineage and the bottled-in-bond designation. Launching this spring with an 11-year-old bottling, whiskey aficionados and history buffs alike will revel in the newest edition of the Old Fitzgerald family.

Inspired by an original 1950’s Old Fitzgerald diamond decanter, the newest packaging will thrill collectors as the brand was traditionally bottled in artistic decanters of all shapes and sizes. The label features the time-honored graphic of a key, commemorating an important element in original labels and the brand’s slogan since the 1940’s, “Your key to hospitality.” Kentucky’s state seal and a prominent brand banner replicate a pre-Prohibition label. Spring editions will be denoted with a green label and fall editions with a black label. The age will change with each edition and will also be indicated on the bottom of the label.

Each edition’s tax strip, which has always been a signature of transparency on bottled-in-bond products, will disclose when the liquid was produced and bottled.

“For 82 years Heaven Hill Distillery has nurtured and produced historic brands of quality and heritage,” said Heaven Hill Distillery Master Distiller Denny Potter. “It is an honor to join a famous line of distillers behind the Old Fitzgerald name and to continue to uphold the tradition of the brand through its bottled-in-bond designation, which dates to the early 1900s.”

Larceny Bourbon, a descendant of the Old Fitzgerald line, tells the legend of Treasury Agent John E. Fitzgerald who held the keys to the bonded rickhouses, and helped himself from barrels containing only the finest bourbon. The agent’s selections became known around the distillery as “Fitzgerald barrels” and were used to create a soft, wheated bourbon known as “Old Fitzgerald.”

The Old Fitzgerald Bottled-in-Bond Series will be available in the 750ml size on an allocated basis each spring and fall throughout the next five years. The spring 2018 edition meets the strict requirements of a bottled-in-bond: the product of a single distillery from a single distilling season, aged a minimum of four years, and bottled at 100 proof or 50% alcohol by volume. The first edition is available at a suggested retail price of $110.00.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • UNCHeels08
    UNCHeels08 Posts: 116
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendation Ron. Picked up a bottle and tried it tonight - this is good stuff and may be my new go-to considering the price. $30 here in NC, $13 less than Four Roses Single Barrel which is one of my favorites that I had just finished last weekend. 

Never would have tried it if it weren’t for seeing this thread a couple months ago. 
    Raleigh, NC

LBGE
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Very glad it helped. I have a few other brands to post, and I will when I get time. There are some serious good bourbon being made today that rivals or exceeds the traditional big brands for a much more reasonable cost.
    Thank you for posting.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SandyHookEgger
    Options
    @YukonRon Going on vacation this week with some folks that are hooked on Bourbon Slushes that I made from your recipe. They want more but like them in mason jars. I am hoping I can get one of these folks to duplicate @caliking’s performance.
  • YukonRon
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @YukonRon Going on vacation this week with some folks that are hooked on Bourbon Slushes that I made from your recipe. They want more but like them in mason jars. I am hoping I can get one of these folks to duplicate @caliking’s performance.
    Video or it did not happen =)
    Have fun and enjoy. We went to a Fund raiser type function that was sponsored by Maker's Mark. You bought a cocktail, but you kept the glass. It was a small Mason jar, with a handle, but the bottom of the glass was dipped in plastic wax to resemble the bottle.
    We got a couple that night.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    We leave tomorrow for vacation. 6 bags of bourbon slushies in the camper freezer, a jug of robin’s bloody mix in the fridge. Gonna be good. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • FrostyEgg
    Options
    I read about bourbon slushies last summer prior to actually joining this forum. They're all gone now. I must make more.
  • SandyHookEgger
    Options
    @YukonRon You always find the coolest stuff I'm jealous.
    @Jeremiah Maybe I can just send my companions with you.
    @FrostyEgg Resist the temptation they are addictive.