Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bourbon News

Options

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    @YukonRon. I assume the HK that won was bottled this year and barreled in 08. The bottle I have was barreled in 06. Due to varying temps year to year, is the taste much different like wine? 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @YukonRon. I assume the HK that won was bottled this year and barreled in 08. The bottle I have was barreled in 06. Due to varying temps year to year, is the taste much different like wine? 
    It will vary barrel to barrel. The taste will be a bit different, but not enough where most would ever know. You got a great bottle my brother. I will give you your money back if you do not like it. Likely your '06 will be a bit more smooth, which is even better.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    “Happiness is having a rare steak, a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak.”

Johnny Carson

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    beer for my men, whiskey for my horses, yeah that Billy Nelson guy.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:l
    beer for my men, whiskey for my horses, yeah that Billy Nelson guy.
    Or was whiskey for my men, beer for my horses?

Great Show, Great Show, Great Show!!!!!!!!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • CarolinaCrazy
    CarolinaCrazy Posts: 585
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. The McKenna is on currently sale at our fine NC ABC establishments (or at least Orange County?) for $26.95.  Good Stuff!

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    My BIL quit drinking beer, for that very reason. Started drinking Whiskey to lower his blood sugar. Did not work out very well.
    My BIL stopped drinking beer as well, but not for health reasons.  It's worked out well for us :D
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
    500 Posts: 3,177
    edited May 2018
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    My BIL quit drinking beer, for that very reason. Started drinking Whiskey to lower his blood sugar. Did not work out very well.
    How exactly did it not work out?
    I am trying to lower my blood sugar count.  After my surgery last Summer, I'm left with no spleen and have a pancreas, hence my elevated blood sugar levels.  I have essentially stopped drinking beer, because the carbonation upsets my stomach and just bloats me too much.  I turned to drinking bourbon and gin much more because of the lack of beer drinking.  Yes, I know they have empty calories that will turn to sugar and raise my blood sugar levels, but I'm trying.  Diet, exercise, cut out sweets, and many times I will just add a large ice cube to my bourbon instead of sugary mixers.  
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • YukonRon
    Options
    500 said:
    YukonRon said:
    I am trying to lower my blood sugar count.  After my surgery last Summer, I'm left with no spleen and have a pancreas, hence my elevated blood sugar levels.  I have essentially stopped drinking beer, because the carbonation upsets my stomach and just bloats me too much.  I turned to drinking bourbon and gin much more because of the lack of beer drinking.  Yes, I know they have empty calories that will turn to sugar and raise my blood sugar levels, but I'm trying.  Diet, exercise, cut out sweets, and many times I will just add a large ice cube to my bourbon instead of sugary mixers.  
    He passed away. His system got entirely out of control. He became insulin dependent, with the sugar levels. Many things attributed to his eventual demise, but the switch from beer to whiskey, accelerated the problems he had.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
    edited May 2018
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    500 said:
    YukonRon said:
    I am trying to lower my blood sugar count.  After my surgery last Summer, I'm left with no spleen and half a pancreas, hence my elevated blood sugar levels.  I have essentially stopped drinking beer, because the carbonation upsets my stomach and just bloats me too much.  I turned to drinking bourbon and gin much more because of the lack of beer drinking.  Yes, I know they have empty calories that will turn to sugar and raise my blood sugar levels, but I'm trying.  Diet, exercise, cut out sweets, and many times I will just add a large ice cube to my bourbon instead of sugary mixers.  
    He passed away. His system got entirely out of control. He became insulin dependent, with the sugar levels. Many things attributed to his eventual demise, but the switch from beer to whiskey, accelerated the problems he had.
    Sorry to hear that, Ron.  I hope to correct what I call my "shortcut to diabetes" with exercise and eating better.  I had a desmoid tumor attack my pancreas and lower duidium.  

Sorry to hijack the whisk(e)y thread.  Continue.
    Member since 2009
  • YukonRon
    Options
    500 said:
    YukonRon said:
    500 said:
    YukonRon said:
    Sorry to hear that, Ron.  I hope to correct what I call my "shortcut to diabetes" with exercise and eating better.  I had a desmoid tumor attack my pancreas and lower duidium.  

Sorry to hijack the whisk(e)y thread.  Continue.
    Do whatever it takes, we want you around for a very long time.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    500 said:
    YukonRon said:
    Straight/plain liquor (unlike beer and wine) has almost zero impact on blood sugar levels.

If you are taking something like Metformin tho to help you manage your blood sugar levels you should be sure to drink moderately (if at all) and be sure to let your doctor know that you do take the occasional finger or two of whiskey, gin, vodka, whatever.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

Options
    HeavyG said:
    500 said:
    YukonRon said:
    Straight/plain liquor (unlike beer and wine) has almost zero impact on blood sugar levels.

If you are taking something like Metformin tho to help you manage your blood sugar levels you should be sure to drink moderately (if at all) and be sure to let your doctor know that you do take the occasional finger or two of whiskey, gin, vodka, whatever.
    Thanks, G. But isn’t it true that booze has calories?  If you don’t burn those calories, they turn to fat and that’s not good. No, I’m not on any meds to control sugar levels. I’m not diabetic but have elevated sugar levels, so if it were to get worse, I could become diabetic. It’s because I have half of a pancreas now so my body isn’t breakfast nag down sugars as well as it used it. So my doctor wants me to cut back on alcohol, sugar, and carbs, and exercise more. Essentially do things everyone should be doing anyway. 
    Member since 2009
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Bourbon Tip 7 Image

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    https://youtu.be/B70e-01JBbA

Bourbon tasted for the first time.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options

We’ll have a tasting at the baseball bbq on Sunday. 
  • Possumtrot
    Possumtrot Posts: 245
    Options
    This is the exact reason I could only afford the “Tennessee Pork Loin” yesterday.  Jason - do not taste it, please.  Amy will thank me later.
    @YukonRon is sneaky that way. I also relied on his advice for wine - money continues to drain out of our retirement account.
    Near Music City in the Boro
    LBGE, Joe,Jr
    Free is better than cheap
    If it's worth telling, it's worth exaggerating

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @possumtrot I figured I was in trouble when the cashier said, “McKenna is awesome!”
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    500 said:
    HeavyG said:
    500 said:
    YukonRon said:

Thanks, G. But isn’t it true that booze has calories?  If you don’t burn those calories, they turn to fat and that’s not good. No, I’m not on any meds to control sugar levels. I’m not diabetic but have elevated sugar levels, so if it were to get worse, I could become diabetic. It’s because I have half of a pancreas now so my body isn’t breakfast nag down sugars as well as it used it. So my doctor wants me to cut back on alcohol, sugar, and carbs, and exercise more. Essentially do things everyone should be doing anyway. 
    Yes, liquor has calories but it has zero carbs thus little impact on blood sugar levels (for most people anyway).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• YukonRon
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    500 said:
    HeavyG said:
    500 said:
    YukonRon said:

Yes, liquor has calories but it has zero carbs thus little impact on blood sugar levels (for most people anyway).
    This is true for those who practice moderation. However, my BIL went from 12 beers per day to a bottle or two of scotch.
    That is the way it ended.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    I picked up two bottles of McKenna at the local military base today for $21/per. Looking forward to trying it. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    CTMike said:
    I picked up two bottles of McKenna at the local military base today for $21/per. Looking forward to trying it. 
    Great pull

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Here is one for you..... @Possumtrot...this is screaming for you, for sure:

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    500 said:
    HeavyG said:
    500 said:
    YukonRon said:

Thanks, G. Makes sense. 
    Member since 2009
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    HeavyG said:
    500 said:
    HeavyG said:
    500 said:
    YukonRon said:

This is true for those who practice moderation. However, my BIL went from 12 beers per day to a bottle or two of scotch.
    That is the way it ended.
    Thanks Ron. I do binge at times, but I practice moderation most of the time. 
    Member since 2009
    Options

We’ll have a tasting at the baseball bbq on Sunday. 
    This is the best bourbon under $40. I hope it doesn’t become scarce. I have one bottle open and another in storage. 
    Member since 2009
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Here is one for you..... @Possumtrot...this is screaming for you, for sure:
    We are members of the Frazier.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Options
    Ended up going later and got a bottle for me and one for a bourbon loving buddy. If it's as good as i'm hoping, i'll be hunting down more. 

Going for a walk with the wife now. Might pour a taster when I get back to compliment all the friday night beer.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Never seen this before in GA but will look harder. My go to for years is Larceny it’s the best I have found unless you triple it’s pice. $34.99 a handle at my local Costco.