Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

“Barbecue Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades-Bastes, Butters & Glazes, Too” by Steven Raichlan

Anyone tried making the recipes from this book?

I bought it when the kindle version was on sale for  $1.99. I finally got around to reading it and wrote a few of my impressions here. And I tried out a few of the recipes, starting with the Indian-themed ones. I'm a bit dissapointed by the Green Tandoori Paste. Here's my experience: https://halalpitmasters.com/2018/05/25/green-tandoor-spice-paste/

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    I have the paperback version and have used his Turkish Marinade. I posted a turkey cook using it last fall. If I wasn’t doing Green Lightning Shrimp in an hour or so I would try something else from his book.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    PS, I was quite happy with the result. I don’t know if yogurt and meat is halal, I know it isn’t kosher.
  • zahulio
    zahulio Posts: 135
    PS, I was quite happy with the result. I don’t know if yogurt and meat is halal, I know it isn’t kosher.
    I found your post (https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1205922/turkish-marinade). Thanks for sharing. I'll try the Turkish Marinade soon!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I've read many good recipes from Raichlan. Over all, I think he knows what he's doing. But Green + Tandoori is not a starter for me. I realize tandoori is for foods cooked in a tandoor, but I've never had anything that wasn't charred. So why shrimp? The chicken, sure, but tandoori chicken should be blazing red-orange from alkanet. Green colored meat may not be poison, but I'd rather not try it.

The Karachi Bam Chcocken looks quire fine.
  • whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    I've looked at this book, it has an enormous amount of recipes. Many are not for me but I did smoke 4 racks of his Righteous Ribs and they were as good as any I've ever had. Spritzed with bourbon and apple cider, they were amazing.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

The book is highly rated, and I've almost bought it many times.  Not sure what it is, but Raichlen isn't my cup of tea.

Anyone here read the Flavorize book by Lampe?

Phoenix 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    That pic looks tasty!

The Raichlen recipe you posted does need some more oomph. I've made a similar recipe before but it had more spices in it (e.g. cumin, cardamom, green chiles, mint, etc). The spinach does tend to mute the flavors, and is basically there to green it up. You could even omit it, if you add more cilantro and mint in the mix.

Also, using fresh garlic and ginger vs. the ready-made paste makes a big difference. If you're going to blitz stuff in a blender anyways, just throw the ginger and garlic in there too. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • zahulio
    gdenby said:
    I've read many good recipes from Raichlan. Over all, I think he knows what he's doing. But Green + Tandoori is not a starter for me. I realize tandoori is for foods cooked in a tandoor, but I've never had anything that wasn't charred. So why shrimp? The chicken, sure, but tandoori chicken should be blazing red-orange from alkanet. Green colored meat may not be poison, but I'd rather not try it.

The Karachi Bam Chcocken looks quire fine.
    You're right. Never seen a green-colored tandoori dish...not sure what region of India or Pakistan that would come from.

Why shrimp? It doesn't have to be marinaded very long, and I presumed it would allow the marinade flavor to really shine (since shrimp has a mild flavor itself).
  • zahulio
    caliking said:
    That pic looks tasty!

The Raichlen recipe you posted does need some more oomph. I've made a similar recipe before but it had more spices in it (e.g. cumin, cardamom, green chiles, mint, etc). The spinach does tend to mute the flavors, and is basically there to green it up. You could even omit it, if you add more cilantro and mint in the mix.

Also, using fresh garlic and ginger vs. the ready-made paste makes a big difference. If you're going to blitz stuff in a blender anyways, just throw the ginger and garlic in there too. 
    Yeah..the spinach takes away from the tandoori flavors. 
    Good point about fresh garlic and ginger.