Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking 2 Pork Shoulders on Ceramic Store Adjustable R&B Combo

Options
CheeseheadIllinois
CheeseheadIllinois Posts: 66
edited May 2018 in Pork
I've got a Large BGE and this weekend I'm cooking two 10 lb shoulders for a crowd of 50.  First time using the ceramic store adjustable R&B combo.  Nothing like diving head first into a big cook.  I should be able to put the two shoulders on the rack.  Question is how do I set up the Combo Rig?  Can you send me to any links?  Any photos?  Happy Memorial Day Eggheaders.

Comments

• jazimmerman
    jazimmerman Posts: 38
    Options
    Here’s the setup I use

• CheeseheadIllinois
    Options
    Interesting.  Looks like you wrap the placesetter in foil?  Do you use a tray for water?  
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Interesting.  Looks like you wrap the placesetter in foil?  Do you use a tray for water?  
    No need for a water tray but a drip pan is nice to have.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • CheeseheadIllinois
    Options
    Is there a drip pan in your photo that I can't see? And if not, can you help me with how you'd set up the adjustable rig?
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,648
    Options
    I would also be interested! I just ordered the exact same setup!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Do you have the spider?  If so, put that down first, then the stone, air gap then pan, then one level of protein

Then your second level:

If not, stone on bottom level, then a pan, and you should be able to fit 2- 10 lbs on one level on the top grate. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • jazimmerman
    jazimmerman Posts: 38
    Options
    I do use a drip pan. It's the oval 13 x 17 form from CGS wrapped in HDAF. if you look at the front of the drip pan you can see the stone underneath it, it's just almost black.

I set the oval stone at the bottom level, use a couple of extra rods on top of it to keep the drip pan a bit above it. Then I set the grid at felt level or just above and put the butts on there
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    I always have the stone on the bottom setting of the AR, Drip pan in the middle, and use the factory round grate on top. Works well for me.

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• CheeseheadIllinois
    Options
    Thanks all (even the Colts fan!) for the comments.  What's your process/sequence in heating?   Once you light your charcoal, do you have your oval stone in there or do you get your charcoal to a certain temp and then add your stone?  Same question with your wood for smoking.  Do you add that when you light your charcoal or afterwards?  
  • CheeseheadIllinois
    Options
    Colts fan - You're not so bad after all (I went to IU for grad school).  How big were those pork shoulders and at what temp/how long did you cook them?
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    Colts fan - You're not so bad after all (I went to IU for grad school).  How big were those pork shoulders and at what temp/how long did you cook them?
    8lbs. I do butts "Turbo" 325ish = 45-50 minutes/lb or so.

I always light the egg, leave lid open for 15 minutes of so, add AR in and close lid/set vents in ballpark. I let it ride for a hour or so before putting the meat on

Smoking wood is layered in with the charcoal
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!