Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This has to be a sign! OT

Options

But a sign of what I have no idea.

I woke up this morning to the sound of a rustling chicken feed bag I left outside my basement door.  I looked out and found the suspect:

While I live in the country, I don't own a pig.  I don't know that any of my neighbors have pigs much less a pet pig.  All I know is that it came up to me when I called it and it like to be petted.  And my dog (an 80# Lab) is terrified of it.

It's too friendly and big to fit on my Large Egg. :)

I'm hoping he/she isn't there when I get home.  I don't feel like building a hog pen tonight.

Glencoe, Minnesota

Comments

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,545
    Options
    Burnt ends, bacon, ribs, and shoulder...all in a nice compact size....
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    It needs a shave.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,047
    Options
    All I get is door to door salesmen. Lucky!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,047
    Options
    Must have escaped from Mrs. Pork. You just might have some nice Duroc pork right there!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Maybe pick up a few extra rolls of foodsaver on the way home?
    Phoenix 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,066
    Options
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,368
    Options
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    It's obviously in need of some TLC.  Perhaps a local vet or animal adoption venue might have some advice..
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    It is a sign...you need to get an XL BGE.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Options
    Had an older black gentleman worked for me and he was one of the best barbecue cooks ever.  He would cook pork and it was great.  A lady  had a pot bellied pig for a pet and it had become too large for her yard and someone told her that this black man would love to have it.  Well, she took it to him and went through all the heartbreaking motions of leaving her pet and best friend and she knew he would love it like a family member.  Needless to say, it got cooked.  About two weeks later she came by his house and wanted to love on her baby and found out it's fate.  Upset, you cannot describe.
  • blasting
    Options
    THA said:
    Had an older black gentleman worked for me and he was one of the best barbecue cooks ever.  He would cook pork and it was great.  A lady  had a pot bellied pig for a pet and it had become too large for her yard and someone told her that this black man would love to have it.  Well, she took it to him and went through all the heartbreaking motions of leaving her pet and best friend and she knew he would love it like a family member.  Needless to say, it got cooked.  About two weeks later she came by his house and wanted to love on her baby and found out it's fate.  Upset, you cannot describe.

I wanna feel bad for her, but...
    So the lady gives a pig she doesn't want anymore to known pitmaster, then she's surprised her pig became a tasty dinner?  Whatever else she might known for, spotting the obvious probably isn't on the list.

Phoenix 
  • sheetmetalpete
    Options

Sounds like it belongs to a neighbor and it was just out visiting.  It was still an odd sight first thing in the morning.

Here's my "brave" dog meeting it.

https://youtu.be/MSQaIGFhTOE

Glencoe, Minnesota
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,335
    Options
    But your dog will like him after he’s turned to biscuits and gravy.
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    Awesome video.  Sure beats the raccoons we get as visitors!

Maybe he'll do the shopping, too.  Just don't let him eat too many pig biscuits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM4eBufL8Qk
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • blasting
    Options

Sounds like it belongs to a neighbor and it was just out visiting.  It was still an odd sight first thing in the morning.

That's funny.  Hopefully you never have to rely on your dog for anything other than companionship, or you're done for.

Phoenix 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,238
    Options
    Better than seeing this guy hanging out on your deck. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,066
    Options
    Better than seeing this guy hanging out on your deck. 
    Depends on how good your aim is.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,538
    Options
    blasting said:  
    Hopefully you never have to rely on your dog for anything other than companionship, or you're done for.

Had a sprinkler guy come by to do some work when I wasn't home, and I forgot to keep my dogs (2 Welsh Corgis) in the house.  I called him that night and apologized, he said no big problem; Brutus kept getting in the way with his tennis ball, wanting sprinkler guy to throw it for him, Cassius hid under the porch and whimpered the whole time.  
    Oddly, when someone would ring the doorbell they'd both bark, and Corgis have a HUGE voice for their size.  
    They're both gone now, it helps having a nosy retiree on one side of me and a rotating-shift cop on the other.  

"There is no underwear in Space"    - Carrie Fisher

• sheetmetalpete
    Options
    blasting said:

That's funny.  Hopefully you never have to rely on your dog for anything other than companionship, or you're done for.

Right?!?  I once had some clowns attempt a buglary in the middle of the night.  I got up, got dressed, turned on lights, and investigated the commotion (armed).  I found him sleeping in the bedroom when it was all over.  He never made a sound.
    Glencoe, Minnesota