Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New patio cook area build

Comments

• Smolder
    Smolder Posts: 104
    edited May 2018
    Wow, those are gorgeous. Beautiful job on the stone. That is a very functional cook area. I don't think there is much you need to borrow from me. Looks like you have everything well in hand.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    I just did the stainless and cooking equipment. It's at a friends house on Lake of the Ozarks. We are trying to come up with ideas for a outdoor kitchen of our own.
  • Smolder
    I'm just trying to keep it simple. I've been using the big green egg table you can see in the background for several years, so I know how I use my work area. I never prepare food outside so I don't see the purpose for a sink or fridge. Just a cook area. I've had a small Weber gas grill that comes in handy for certain things. So I'm going to pass that on to one of my kids and put a nice all weather unit in.
    More than anything, it's just an attempt to get rid of some of the miscellaneous items and tie it all in to the rest of the patio.
  • Smolder
    Got the egg shelf enclosed and drainage installed. The front will be trimmed out in cedar. The drain hose runs to the interior channel drain that runs thru front to back.
  • jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    I really like the looks of that cedar on the front, and the granite looks nice as well.  In hindsight we should have done granite counter-tops on our outdoor kitchen.  Your whole project and yard look great!
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Smolder said:
    Got the granite installed this weekend. I've been waiting to get this part done so I can finish the cedar and also box in around the granite shelf for the egg. I'm also going to drill a hole in the shelf for a drainage system. I plan on doing that after work tonight, so I'll try and post some pics of it.
    That's the same granite we have in our kitchen. The nice thing is that if you spill something on it and happen to not notice for a couple days or so it doesn't look dirty.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Please note all these impressive builds have been stolen by me in order to make my build worthy.
    Thanks to all y'all.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Tspud1
    Smolder said:
    Got the granite installed this weekend. I've been waiting to get this part done so I can finish the cedar and also box in around the granite shelf for the egg. I'm also going to drill a hole in the shelf for a drainage system. I plan on doing that after work tonight, so I'll try and post some pics of it.
    That's the same granite we have in our kitchen. The nice thing is that if you spill something on it and happen to not notice for a couple days or so it doesn't look dirty.
    Then why clean it?

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Tspud1 said:
    Smolder said:
    Then why clean it?

Cause eventually it would get really nasty. But I do like that I can go longer between cleanings than if it were say Black or White Granite.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Smolder
    I got the rest of the cedar put on last night. Egg is installed. Now all that remains is to do a little trim work to the outside edges, put the finish and preservative on the cedar and install the cabinets.
     Then a large Memorial day party to break everything in!
  • HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    Very nice work and thanks for adding in some of the details like the drainage.  I'm in the process of planning mine, it'll be a straight with a place for my Large and also looking for a drop in gasser and a burner or two.  

If you don't mind me picking your brain, on the rock veneer, does it need to be grouted?  On your cedar, is it stained or going to let it weather?  

• Smolder
    HDmstng said:
    Very nice work and thanks for adding in some of the details like the drainage.  I'm in the process of planning mine, it'll be a straight with a place for my Large and also looking for a drop in gasser and a burner or two.  

If you don't mind me picking your brain, on the rock veneer, does it need to be grouted?  On your cedar, is it stained or going to let it weather?  

The rock is dry stack, which means no grout. If you're using Perma-board, you just moisten the board, then butter the the stone with a flexible mortar. It's pretty nice to work with.
    The cedar is going to be stained with a product called F&P. It's a finish and preservative in one. I've used it throughout the patio project, and on the little herb cart you can see in one of the pictures. It's a redwood color. I'll post some pics of it when It's done.
  • Smolder
    Smolder said:

Yeah, it does hide dirt well. I was wanting to go with something light colored due to heat. Anything dark and you would sizzle fry your hands. It also had the same colors as the the stone veneer in it. Helps tie it all together.
  • Tspud1
    Smolder said:
    HDmstng said:

The rock is dry stack, which means no grout. If you're using Perma-board, you just moisten the board, then butter the the stone with a flexible mortar. It's pretty nice to work with.
    The cedar is going to be stained with a product called F&P. It's a finish and preservative in one. I've used it throughout the patio project, and on the little herb cart you can see in one of the pictures. It's a redwood color. I'll post some pics of it when It's done.
    That F&P, does it help protect from moisture?

• Smolder
    Yes it does, and very well I might add. It's important to note that you do the second coat while the first is still wet. Once the first coat is dry, it hardens. So it's important to apply second coat within an hour or so. I am very impressed with the durability so far. 3 years in.
  • Tspud1
    Smolder said:
    Yes it does, and very well I might add. It's important to note that you do the second coat while the first is still wet. Once the first coat is dry, it hardens. So it's important to apply second coat within an hour or so. I am very impressed with the durability so far. 3 years in.
    Is it a regional thing? Just powerwashed my cedar sided house and garage access looking for a good product. TWP was on short list. 
  • Smolder
    edited May 2018
    I can get it at a local paint store here. $25 per gallon. I just found it online also for same price. Maybe call around or order online. I know it comes in several different colors. Wolman is the manufacturer.
  • Smolder
    It's been a busy couple of weeks, but I finally got the cook area stained and 1 drawer completed and installed.

I coated the inside with truck bed liner to prevent any water damage.

Also broke the gasser in by cooking breakfast on the griddle that came with it Memorial weekend. It did a fantastic job of frying bacon, eggs and pancakes.

• RockyTopDW
    RockyTopDW Posts: 338
    Looks great! I’ve got a very similar outdoor area with cooking station.  It’s the best money I’ve invested in my house.  Congrats!
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,717
    Very nice!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    That’s some gorgeous work there. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • This is amazing. Ready to purchase my first house and get to building a outdoor kitchen area. 
    Atlanta, GA 

LBGE, Mini-Max, Mini, 1995 BGE Chiminea, 22" Blackstone, Weber Genesis E-310. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Absolutely beautiful.  Great work man!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Amazing. 
    You coming over to my house this fall/winter to help build mine?   

Wow this is one good looking set-up. 
    Atlanta, GA 

LBGE, Mini-Max, Mini, 1995 BGE Chiminea, 22" Blackstone, Weber Genesis E-310. 
  • Smolder
    Thanks, Kevin. It's been quite a project. Just one more phase and that's a gas fireplace. My wife is already getting on me about starting that. Although that will be relatively small in comparison.
  • BigGreenBean
    BigGreenBean Posts: 117
    Is George Clooney okay?

Very impressive.  For the umpteenth time here -- I wish I had those skills.
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • Smolder
    Is George Clooney okay?

Very impressive.  For the umpteenth time here -- I wish I had those skills.
    apparently he's recovering...