Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: how to repair a leaky cooper water line?

I figured in a bunch of BGE enthusiasts there's got to be a couple plumbing experts.  Hoping you can help me out.  I discovered a leak inside an interior wall in a section of cooper pipe. There's 18" of cooper pipe that extends from the hose bib through the exterior house wall and then to a cooper connector which then connects to pex. The leak is a 1/2" long slit in the cooper pipe (see photo). What's the best way to repair this? Can a plumber soldier the split in the cooper pipe? Or does the cooper need to be cut off past the leaking slit and reused? Or do I just replace the whole 18" section with new cooper pipe or with a length of pex? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited May 2018
    That looks like a frost pinch ....I would just braze the slit ...if you are not that handy a clampette works 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    If you can’t braze, then get a length of copper pipe and a couple of Shark Bites. 
  • seedman76
    seedman76 Posts: 19
    That's why I love this site.  Thanks for the quick replies.  I posted this same question on a plumbing forum two days ago and still haven't had one person reply, yet many viewed the post (and it looked like a popular forum).  I've never brazed so might need to stay away from that or hire it done.  Dumb question, what's a clampette or Shark Bite?   
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    If you can’t braze, then get a length of copper pipe and a couple of Shark Bites. 
    Shark bites are the bomb!  I had to replace my water heater last week and of course the fittings were different. Shark bite to the rescue!
  • DoubleEgger
    seedman76 said:
    That's why I love this site.  Thanks for the quick replies.  I posted this same question on a plumbing forum two days ago and still haven't had one person reply, yet many viewed the post (and it looked like a popular forum).  I've never brazed so might need to stay away from that or hire it done.  Dumb question, what's a clampette or Shark Bite?   
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FPLdnlVak88
  • seedman76
    seedman76 said:
    Never mind.  I googled Shark Bite and found their website.  Looks like the way to go.  Thanks for the help and quick replies.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    After you fix it, make sure you insulate it or drain that stretch before next winter.  Looks like it froze.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Jonnysouth
    Jonnysouth Posts: 162
    That is a “Frost” proof hydrant. It should angle towards the outside. That way when you turn your hose off, the water drains out of the pipe. It’s important to remove your hose when the weather gets cold enough to freeze. Share a picture of your fix when you get a chance.
  • seedman76
    Thanks guys.  I'll share the finished pics.  It is a frost proof hydrant.  My builder installed it but I"ll have to take a closer look tomorrow.  Seems to me it angled down, from outside to inside, which to me and based on what Johnnysouth said would be the wrong angle.  Like Johnnyshouth said it should angle up, from outside to inside so when the hose is disconnected the water drains out the spigot.  Correct me if I misunderstood.  Headed to Home Depot tomorrow for the Sharkbite and related tools.  Thanks again.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    seedman76 said:
    Thanks guys.  I'll share the finished pics.  It is a frost proof hydrant.  My builder installed it but I"ll have to take a closer look tomorrow.  Seems to me it angled down, from outside to inside, which to me and based on what Johnnysouth said would be the wrong angle.  Like Johnnyshouth said it should angle up, from outside to inside so when the hose is disconnected the water drains out the spigot.  Correct me if I misunderstood.  Headed to Home Depot tomorrow for the Sharkbite and related tools.  Thanks again.  
    Water should drain to outside as you stated.  Inside joint should be higher than spigot.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Ehhh as someone who just went through the fun experience of selling his house, I would advise not to use a clampette.  You might get an overzealous inspector like I did, who thinks the 30 year old house should be in the same condition as a new build. Then at the end of the day, even if the clampette worked, you're having a plumber braze the darn thing before closing anyways.  :(
  • DoubleEgger
    odie91 said:
    Ehhh as someone who just went through the fun experience of selling his house, I would advise not to use a clampette.  You might get an overzealous inspector like I did, who thinks the 30 year old house should be in the same condition as a new build. Then at the end of the day, even if the clampette worked, you're having a plumber braze the darn thing before closing anyways.  :(
    I just sold a house last year with Shark Bites. Frankly, I’d tell a home inspector to piss off if they had a problem with it. At the end of the day, no one isn’t going to buy a house because of a Shark Bite or clampette. I wasn’t going down that rabbit hole with an over zealous home inspector. I never saw the inspection report for our old house as I didn’t want to see it. I offered $500 for any repairs and never had to deal with some BS list. The market is so hot right now that sellers have all the power. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2018
    odie91 said:
    I concur.  An acronym I learned from a shop buddy, and try to live by, even in the hospital.

RTFFT
    Right The First Fockin Time.

The only part of my kitchen refresh I didn't do, as the professional redid all plumbing in copper.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2018
    odie91 said:
    I just sold a house last year with Shark Bites. Frankly, I’d tell a home inspector to piss off if they had a problem with it. At the end of the day, no one isn’t going to buy a house because of a Shark Bite or clampette. I wasn’t going down that rabbit hole with an over zealous home inspector. I never saw the inspection report for our old house as I didn’t want to see it. I offered $500 for any repairs and never had to deal with some BS list. The market is so hot right now that sellers have all the power. 
    Telling a home inspector to pi$$ off?  
    Yeah ok tough guy, good luck with that.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DoubleEgger
    Focker said:
    odie91 said:
    Telling a home inspector to pi$$ off?  
    Yeah ok tough guy, good luck with that.
    That’s exactly what I did. We had four offers over full price in 48hrs. I said no and the buyers caved immediately. 
  • steel_egg
    steel_egg Posts: 295
    Most home inspectors don’t have a clue. They take an online test and charge $500 for some BS advise to the buyers. Doubt any of them know what Sharkbite fittings are. 
  • DoubleEgger
    steel_egg said:
    Most home inspectors don’t have a clue. They take an online test and charge $500 for some BS advise to the buyers. Doubt any of them know what Sharkbite fittings are. 
    A clipboard and a GFCI tester....
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    All these replies and no one suggested flex seal, flex tape, flex glue, or flex shot????  WTH is wrong with you people?????  That's the easiest quickest fix out there!!!!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    thetrim said:
    All these replies and no one suggested flex seal, flex tape, flex glue, or flex shot????  WTH is wrong with you people?????  That's the easiest quickest fix out there!!!!!!

Well dat took lonner than eny wun wudda thunk!
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• BUFFALOMOOSE
    BUFFALOMOOSE Posts: 371
    @thetrim Love it!!
    South Buffalo, New York
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    steel_egg said:
    I know a few that are very thorough. Those are prior tradesman that decided to become inspectors.  I can't imagine even a substandard inspector wouldn't know what a Sharkbite fitting is.  But, I've been surprised before. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @thetrim Flexseal it! :rofl:

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • @thetrim Flexseal it! :rofl:

Better than a clampett

Little Rock, AR