Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is this is problem??

Options
I've had by BGE for about 4 years and recently noticed the problem area near the back of my grill seems to be getting worse. I've had no issues with my temp but I don't want this to get worse and become a major problem. Anyone know what's going on or what I should do to fix it?

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Replace with a Rutland gasket.  PM @RRP for info.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    I would say a good clean burn is in order to help in the removal process =)

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• GrillnTX
    GrillnTX Posts: 65
    Options
    Hmmm....so I need a new gasket? I'm decent with a grill and some meat but I just looked up what installing a new gasket entails and I have no intention of busting my grill. Has anyone else done this or had it done? 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    GrillnTX said:
    Hmmm....so I need a new gasket? I'm decent with a grill and some meat but I just looked up what installing a new gasket entails and I have no intention of busting my grill. Has anyone else done this or had it done? 

I think @RRP has sold around 7000 Gaskets mostly to folks on here so you should be able to find plenty of help from these folks. I think Ron's instructions are supposedly very user friendly. The search function should turn up some fairly recent results.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Busting your grill? You don't even have to take anything apart. Just raise the dome, scrape off both gaskets, clean the mating surfaces, glue the new gasket on (bottom only) and wait 24 hrs for the adhesive to cure. Done.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i dont have any gasket on my eggs and they work just fine. if you "need" one, the rutland is the better option and it just goes on the base, none on the dome.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Replacing the old gasket with a Rutland is about as difficult as changing a lightbulb. Another vote for @RRP.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • GrillnTX
    GrillnTX Posts: 65
    Options
    i dont have any gasket on my eggs and they work just fine. if you "need" one, the rutland is the better option and it just goes on the base, none on the dome.
    Did they fall off like mine seems to be doing? If doing nothing won't do any damage to my egg that's great news! 

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm

Maybe I'm crazy but this seems a little more difficult than changing a lightbulb.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    It's gluing down a piece of fabric.  You, more than likely, did more difficult projects in pre-k art.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @GrillinTX -  You can choose to run w/o a gasket.  The key will be the tight fit (or lack thereof) between dome and base.  If "dollar bill" tight then you are good to go (unless you drop the dome -no shock absorber gasket), if not then you may have a challenge holding L&S temps or extinguishing the fire after a cook.  
    BTW-depending on whether a ladder is involved with the light bulb this could be easier.  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    GrillnTX said:
    Did they fall off like mine seems to be doing? If doing nothing won't do any damage to my egg that's great news! 

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm

Maybe I'm crazy but this seems a little more difficult than changing a lightbulb.
    the rear near the hinge is a pinch point, it usually wears there and once worn the hot temps flow thru that area and degrade it further. rrp has new directions and nolonger uses that cement. the bunching is self explanatory once you have the gasket inhand. the egg is a smoker, leaking smoke is not a problem, just make sure te silicone seal on the lower vent is in good order or you will burn more lump during shutdown
    fukahwee maine

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    New adhesive?  Which one. I live in the only part of the world that doesn’t seem to sell Permatex Ultra-Copper. So if there is a new one I’m 5 years over due to replace. 

To the OP. It won’t hurt the egg at all. They sell replacement gaskets for a reason. This reason. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Looks like a friction rub on the rear to me. As noted above, if you have even pressure on a single inserted between the base and dome, you are good to go. (Us Canucks have to use a five as we only have coins in lieu of singles) If the tension on the folding money is not even, you might have to loosen off the dome band bolt and then retighten to perfect the alignment. 
    Just changed my High-Que after over five years, took about an hour. I like a soft gasket as often use a pit probe wire between the dome and base. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    gmac said:
    New adhesive?  Which one. I live in the only part of the world that doesn’t seem to sell Permatex Ultra-Copper. So if there is a new one I’m 5 years over due to replace. 

To the OP. It won’t hurt the egg at all. They sell replacement gaskets for a reason. This reason. 
    we used to use rutland cement, it worked 50 percent of the time because we couldnt read the expiration codes. when it worked properly the cement bonded like tree bark.you guys up there probably have new stock in that cement every year, you just have to make sure the base surface is super clean and work fast.
    fukahwee maine

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    gmac said:

My Canadian customers have always told me that Canadian Tire sells it. Actually it is a very popular product sold internationally. You can even order it via Amazon.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    gmac said:
    Lots of places in Canada sell it...
    permatex ultra copper canada

Even Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=permatex+ultra+copper

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• gmac
    Options
    RRP said:
    gmac said:

My Canadian customers have always told me that Canadian Tire sells it. Actually it is a very popular product sold internationally. You can even order it via Amazon.
    Ron. I’m not saying they don’t. I hate that store and don’t go in there much. I’m sure they do. I just haven’t put a priority on finding it but the two I went to didn’t have it, maybe they were sold out. The sales people are just kids that have no idea of anything which is why I don’t shop there. Nothing meant against the gaskets, your service or anything but the Ingersoll Ontario Canadian Tire. 

Some dayI will look on Amazon. I’m not an online shopper either. Maybe I will put it on my list for the BGE Sauce and Rub Exchange. 
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    gmac said:

I got permatex ultra at part source in Cambridge 
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • gmac
    Options
    GlennM said:
    gmac said:

I got permatex ultra at part source in Cambridge 
    I will have to look at Part Source. Thx. 
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    For the Rutland...why on the base and not the lid?

• HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    Looks like a friction rub on the rear to me. 
    Very difficult to resist commenting on this one.  (and working in a Skiddymarker reference as well).   

Agree with all of the above.  Once you go Rutland, you never go back.  It's actually a very satisfying project, with RRP's clear step-by-step instructions.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    No gaskets here. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    You’ll be fine. Mine has looked like this for several moons. Grub still turns out fine. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Can’t speak to whether it will correct the issue, but I just outfitted three Eggs with Rutlands and couldn’t be happier. @RRP is the man!!
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @gmac: If you can’t source the Permatex, PM me your address and I will pick it up for you and send it your way. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    lwrehm said:
    For the Rutland...why on the base and not the lid?

There are several reasons that I suggest that the Rutland gasket only be applied to the base and not to the dome.

First is a matter of ease since gravity will make it easy to position the gasket into the adhesive, whereas without removing the dome from the band it would be difficult to apply to the dome.

Secondly, if you do remove the dome many people have trouble repositioning it in the band and messing with the tightening and adjustments necessary.

Thirdly, if the gasket were to start to fail then being on the bottom only there is far better chance that you will notice the deterioration every time you raised your dome – whereas if it were applied to the dome, you would not be so apt to notice the problem until it had gotten much worst.

And one more reason from @Ozzie Issac is: I would add the gasket on the bottom edge protects the egg from tools and other things that invariably hit the edge

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.