Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maryland Crab Cakes

Options
A month or two ago I spouted-off with my thoughts on crab cakes.  Since then, I’ve been feeling an obligation to come back with a cook.  We were traveling last Sunday, and by the time we got home there was no way I was gonna put together a Mother’s Day crab cake dinner - so tonight there shall be crab cakes!

I like to start with a blend of backfin and jumbo lump - tonight, it’s a pound of each.  There’s not much local yet, so here’s the very expensive crab.

I gently blend them together in a very large bowl, using my fingers, being careful to break-up the natural lumps as little as possible.  There was very little excess liquid in these, so no need to let them drain.  Here’s a recipe I stumbled on years ago that’s my starting point.  I cut back on the salt a bit, and make up the difference with Old Bay.  I only use about 3/4 of the bread crumbs, and go with a little extra mayo.

Once I’ve pulled all the ingredients together and have it mixed well, I GENTLY fold-in the crab meat - again, using fingers, disturbing natural lumps as little as possible.  I like to use a bowl to form the cakes - I found an ice cream sundae dish that worked perfectly - gently but firmly press the crab mix into the form.

These babies are about 6.5 ounces each.  Yup, I’m gonna cook them on the BGE - very carefully!  Will come back later with cook pics.

Maryland, 1 LBGE

Comments