Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calling all mushroom experts

Options
JohnEggGio
JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
edited May 2018 in EggHead Forum
Just curious - what say ye?  Guy that did my mulch last year lives one county over, where they do some serious ‘shroom farming.  Oh, it’s central Maryland.

Uh, yeah - I’ll get those cables buried...

Maryland, 1 LBGE

Comments

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options

report back with your findings...

almost forgot, put one of these in the pitcher with the 'shrooms and some ice..

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    There are old mushroom pickers and there are bold mushroom pickers. But, there are no old bold mushroom pickers

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've never ventured beyond the ones that are defined as always safe because they are so distinctive; chicken of the woods (sulfurs), puffballs, morels. I've found some of what I was pretty sure were hen of the woods, and chanterelles, and a few boletes, but I've passed on those.

Those in the pic don't look at all like ones I've read are safe.

The only test I know of is to cut the stem, and if the flesh turns blue, its probably not edible. Sometimes also red. I'm unusually sensitive to mushrooms, and have tried a few with an experienced 'shroomer that he loved, and they made me want to puke.

It helps to know what is common in your area, tho' stuff growing from mulch, who knows. The fellow I mentioned above, as well as his uncle, even more experienced said, that there wasn't anything where we lived that would be worse than eating soap. Really nasty, and you might want to die, but wouldn't.
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    My nextdoor neighbor said that they are very likely edible- I suggested that he help himself and let me know.

Although I too frequently abuse my liver, I’m quite fond of it.  Will pass on these.  Thanks for the responses.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • JustOneOfTheGuys
    Options
    If you’re real curious, you may want to hit up a local college with an aggie department.  UCONN has one and they would take a gander at them.  I’ve never been, but they host a mushroom walk in the woods and seminar on identifying shrooms.
    Southwestern CT
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    All my mushrooms come in a foam tray. 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Try 'em, what's the worst that could happen?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    if You are going to eat mushrooms during the day, I suggest you start early. If you eat too many in the afternoon, stuff gets weird when the sun goes down. Something about the transition from light to dark that brings out the demons (or at least the tracers) :). Allegedly, of course. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Thanks for the (flashback).

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• JohnEggGio
    Options
    Last time I ate “shrooms”, a group of us went to a Halloween party.  A very attractive girl who was part of our group was wearing some quite “strappy” shoes - we got to the party, she kicked them off.  When we went to leave, it seemed as if she couldn’t figure out how to put them on.  I said, “Hey look, she’s putting on Rubic’s shoes!”

Oh, yeah - funniest line, ever.  Hmmm, about 37 years ago...

Speaking of 37-38 years ago... my last time at the Preakness...

Maryland, 1 LBGE