Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Original Steel Kick Ash Basket Versus Stainless Steel Version With 3 Year Warranty

Options
1voyager
1voyager Posts: 1,157
edited May 2018 in EggHead Forum
I purchased a Kick Ash Basket for my LBGE yesterday. When I went to their website to register the product for warranty, I discovered that what I bought was the old version. There is no 3 year warranty on the KAB that I purchased.  I wish I could name the dealer here since I specifically asked if what I was about to purchase was the up-to-date version. He said it was.

Do any of you have experience with upgrading from the original to the stainless steel one? I'm thinking about returning the Kick Ash Basket for refund and to purchase the stainless version from a different dealer.
Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    If you suspect you’re not happy with your purchase, it is worth pursuing the return. You won’t be happy until you do. 

I have the original steel version that is very rusty after a year or use. 
  • 1voyager
    Options
    Agree. I have buyers remorse for not knowing that the salesperson was lying to me.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    I'm still happy with both of my old steel KAB and have very little rust issues. OTOH if I was told it was SS or implied it was then I wouldn't hesitate in taking it back to the dealer! BTW was the price commensurate with that buying it direct instead? I'm asking because I really don't know, but want to know when I recommend the KAB to friends.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • 1voyager
    Options
    I have done business with the dealer several times so it didn't occur to me to buy directly from Kick Ash Basket. The dealer didn't charge $79.99 which is the price of the stainless version. I paid $59.99 for the old design. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Buyer’s remorse is a horrible thing. 

Having said that, I’m not sure what the advantage of the SS KAB is. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Buyer beware. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I have a KAB in my MM, Med, and XL that are the steel version. They are all rusted, but that does not affect how they function. I bought a second XL recently and had the choice between the two, I paid more for the SS version. It seems like it was $30 over the steel version. In this case I’m glad I went with the SS since it was available. I’m not sure the dealer was aware of the new version to be honest.
  • LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    I have original steel also.  Never any issues and going strong after 3 years!   Used often with high temps and low temps.
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,071
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Another happy original KAB owner for the MMX and large, no issues. Maybe the store owner didn't know about the SS upgrade. I didn't until I read a thread about it here a couple of months ago ... although one could argue that someone ITB should know.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    My steel KAB is going strong after two years.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I have one that is at least 6 years old and still going strong, in fact have one in two larges, mini max, small! I will be getting another for my 3rd large at the Georgia Mountain Eggfest Saturday. If Chad has an old one still in stock I would buy one if not it will be the new SS.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• BugFreak72
    BugFreak72 Posts: 246
    Options
    If you paid the SS price I would say return it but since you paid the lesser price I see no point. My steel KAB is well into 2 years of use and works fine. Considering I'm on the coast in FL I'd say the steel KAB is durable enough.
  • 1voyager
    Options
    caliking said:
    Buyer’s remorse is a horrible thing. 

Having said that, I’m not sure what the advantage of the SS KAB is. 
    I'm starting to think it's not worth pursuing.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Think of it this way......you hopefully saved $20.  The new SS ones are more expensive.  The steel ones are fine.  Check the price you paid--if you paid the price for SS, then I would be ticked.
  • tharding
    tharding Posts: 25
    Options
    I've had the original KAB in my large for 2 years now. No issues at all. I understand being mislead sucks, but since you didn't pay the SS price, I agree with you not pursuing it. Fire that puppy up and cook but open a beer first. Cheers.

Enjoying life on my LBGE in Tell City, IN. Cheers!!

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    ive had the normal steel ones for 4.5yrs and 1 year for my second one with no issues.  I would email chad at kick ash basket let him know he needs to speak to his dealers, fire it up and cook some good protein. 

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I've only had their standard product, which I really like.  I know they've dabbled in some stainless steel special offerings, but today I went to their site and it appears they are switching over completely to stainless.

Well done Chad @ kickash.  

Phoenix 
  • 1voyager
    Options
    Thanks, Eggheads, for your Eggcellent suggestions.

OK, I've calmed down.

Shame on me for not doing more homework. I read dozens of threads here praising the KAB. I also watched dozens of videos created by users as well as demos by Chad. I didn't check the price of models offered on Kick Ash Basket's website.

Shame on the dealer for misleading me or not knowing his product. It's surprising since he is the co-owner.

I did send an email to Chad yesterday. I told him what happened. I also said that I was going to return the KAB and never buy anything from the dealer again. Chad responded within an hour or two and explained that the original product had been discontinued and was not covered by the 3 year warranty. 

In summary, I'll keep the steel KAB but the dealer will miss out on selling 12-15 bags of Rockwood per year. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I wouldn't be so hard on and so quick to blame your dealer. I have no idea what sort of turnover your dealer has for an item like the KAB. Maybe that basket had been sitting on the shelf for a year or two. It's not at all unusual for dealers not to be always up to date on all the third party accessories/stuff. Maybe KAB hasn't/doesn't routinely send out product offering updates.

Or maybe that dealer just really sucks in general.

Kinda funny that the KAB website is even way outta date on the topic of stainless steel baskets:

At this point I believe they are actually selling SS versions of almost all the models of baskets they sell.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Beavercreek_Smoker
    Options
    I got the steel version and the SS version for my second large egg. The regular steel is about 3 years old I think and holding up well even through a lot of pizza cooks as well as low and slows. It’s not new looking by any means and starting to flack a little maybe but doing well.

What I found from using an old Weber kettle grill (before my eggs) that I kept a cast iron grate in it for steaks and burgers is if you don’t clean out ash till you are ready to use it, my cast iron didn’t rust. If I cleaned it out to make it pretty and it sat for a week then I would have to scrub and reseason my cast iron. This is totally just my observation and not proven outside my own back yard. But that’s what I do with my egg, let the ashes sit till I’m ready to fire it up. I lift the KAB out, shake it over a metal ash can, use the ash rake to sweep the bottom and discard ashes in the same ash can. Once every few months I will gut the egg and clean behind the firebox. 

Now as as far as my SS version, it’s beautiful! It’s sitting on top of my new large egg box in my garage  So I can’t comment on how well it’s holding up. I hope to have it cooking within a month when I get my outdoor kitchen built. 

• Tbent
    Tbent Posts: 225
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Here's mine after two years of use. Upgrading soon. 

L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Tbent said:

That's one of the early ones.  Having the lower part in circles was an issue.  They beefed up the gauge all over and had the bottom run in horizontal lines.  The next generation regular steel ones held up really well.  
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Tbent said:

That looks like a casualty of the Great Washington (IL) Tornado! Glad that @stlcharcoal explained why it failed.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • 1voyager
    edited May 2018
    Options
    That's one of the early ones.  Having the lower part in circles was an issue.  They beefed up the gauge all over and had the bottom run in horizontal lines.  The next generation regular steel ones held up really well.  
    I'm glad you explained it. I was almost back to Linda Blair mode!
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    That looks like it has been on the bottom of the ocean for two years, not an egg.  :)
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    My originally one still works great, yeah it has some rust but I can't see it in my egg anyways. Still the only must have accessory IHO.
  • 1voyager
    edited May 2018
    Options
    UPDATE:

The dealer sent an email to me this morning insisting that I return the mild steel KAB for a refund. As it turns out, no-one from KAB notified him of the discontinuation of the product. He will send an email to me when he has the stainless steel KAB in stock. Hopefully next week.

My faith in customer service has been restored!
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    1voyager said:
    UPDATE:

The dealer sent an email to me this morning insisting that I return the steel KAB for a refund. As it turns out, no-one from KAB notified him of the discontinuation of the product. He will send an email to me when he has the stainless steel KAB in stock. Hopefully next week.

My faith in customer service has been restored!
    They sent out the blast email back in January with the new price lists, pop material, etc.

Anything shipped since then you had the option of steel or stainless until the old stock was gone.
  • 1voyager
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Update:

I'm using my Kick Ash Basket for the first time today. The fire reached my target temperature in perhaps a third of the time than when using the original grate. It's an amazing product.