Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast iron grate

Options
i just went out to throw some cauliflower on the grate and discovered it was cracked... in 3 places !  Figured iron was pretty much indestructible !
  1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Actually cast iron is rather soft and when the BGE style cast iron grate is first heated then the center gets hot and expands while the outer circle remains much cooler. The expansion causes the stress cracks.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    It is a BGE grate.  Thanks for the explanation Ron.
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Options
    While I found mine fun to have initially, I also found it to have the said issues, and high maintenance.   Mine is gone and I don’t miss it at all. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Cast iron is a very brittle metal. Not one of my better purchases.  I'll stick to stainless. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 840
    Options
    Cast iron does not like fast heating or cooling.  My material science class is years behind but it lacks the carbon that gives steel its durability and ductility.  I think I’m going to have a steel grate water jetted for my bge out of 1/4” or 3/8” at some point from regular mild steel and see how that works over cast.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    etherdome said:
    While I found mine fun to have initially, I also found it to have the said issues, and high maintenance.   Mine is gone and I don’t miss it at all. 
    Thank you very much as I was getting ready to spring for one. 
  • Tarpon65
    Tarpon65 Posts: 205
    Options
    I've had my CI grate for 6-7 years.  There is one crack on the outside edge, but I use it for all my cooks, both high and low temp.  
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Been using mine for several years and also has a small crack on outer edge, does not interfere with the performance.

I use it for all my direct cooks on the Large, will be getting one for the Mini Max soon.

My Fire Grate, that is another story, they do not last very long for me.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I have been using CI on my small and large for the past 8 years, use them for every cook, direct, indirect, low and slow, pizza, etc.  Happy so far....
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.