Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kickin' Jalapeno Chicken!

zahulio
zahulio Posts: 135

Made "Kickin' Jalapeno Chicken" from this recipe:
https://halalpitmasters.com/2018/05/03/293/

Cooked indirect on xl big green egg at 350-400 degrees with some oak chunks. Took about 45 minutes. At the end, I moved the pieces to the direct side for a few seconds - just to get the outside nice and crispy.

Man..these wings are kickin!!! If you like spicy food, you gotta try this. I had to make a quick ranch sauce to cut the heat.

Comments

• UNCHeels08
    UNCHeels08 Posts: 116
    Oh wow that recipe looks interesting with the French’s fried jalapeño base. How was the exterior?

I tried to make something similar with crushed flaming hot Cheetos and while the flavor was there, the exterior was mushy, almost slimy instead of crunchy.  I’m assuming that was from the fried base but then this one looks good and my original idea came from someone who had posted it with crushed pork rinds. 
    Raleigh, NC

LBGE
  • zahulio
    That’s a good point UNCHeels08. This would have been a little mushy too if I didn’t expose the wings to direct heat for a few seconds. I think that crisped them up nicely. 

I’ve tried the Cheetos thing too...like this version better

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Gonna try this but might use boneless chicken breast chunks as we don’t like actual wings. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• UNCHeels08
    UNCHeels08 Posts: 116
    zahulio said:
    That’s a good point UNCHeels08. This would have been a little mushy too if I didn’t expose the wings to direct heat for a few seconds. I think that crisped them up nicely. 

I’ve tried the Cheetos thing too...like this version better

Maybe it’s just something in the Cheetos. And I didn’t do the direct part at the end. I’ll need to try this version, thanks for posting. 
    Raleigh, NC

LBGE
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    inventive, looks good
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I've never had anything like that, and it looks great!  I saved the recipe -- thanks!
  • zahulio
    Gonna try this but might use boneless chicken breast chunks as we don’t like actual wings. 
    How did the boneless chicken breast turn out? I may try that in the future too.

I tried this other recipe of ours ( https://halalpitmasters.com/2018/04/15/green-chutney-non-fried-chicken-on-the-grill/) with boneless chicken tenders and it came out nearly as good as the original recipe (that called for whole bone-in skin-on chicken cut-up).

• TEXASBGE2018

zahulio said:
    How did the boneless chicken breast turn out? I may try that in the future too.

I tried this other recipe of ours ( https://halalpitmasters.com/2018/04/15/green-chutney-non-fried-chicken-on-the-grill/) with boneless chicken tenders and it came out nearly as good as the original recipe (that called for whole bone-in skin-on chicken cut-up).

I haven't made them yet. Going to make probably Wednesday or Thursday. I bought all the ingredients. I'm going to use buttermilk instead of sour cream because I don't care for sour cream. Ill keep you posted.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Gonna make tomorrow with chicken breast. Should be tasty.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Made them with cut chicken breast. Turned out pretty good. I used buttermilk instead of sour cream so they didn’t crisp up as nice as I would have liked. But definitely the flavor is great and they are worth a try. 

• zahulio
    Made them with cut chicken breast. Turned out pretty good. I used buttermilk instead of sour cream so they didn’t crisp up as nice as I would have liked. But definitely the flavor is great and they are worth a try. 
    Looks like breading didn’t stay on. Glad it still tasted good!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    If there was ever a post that deserved an "abuuse" AND "troll" flag!!!  What?????
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Great recipe.  I never knew that crispy jalapenos were an item out there.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • TEXASBGE2018
    edited May 2018
    thetrim said:
    If there was ever a post that deserved an "abuuse" AND "troll" flag!!!  What?????

Oh crud. Did I accidentally do that? I was looking at your profile and wanted to see why someone would flag you for that. Sorry!!