Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New patio cook area build

This has been on the list of To Do's for a couple of years now. Since putting the rock around all the poles on the patio, I haven't wanted lay hands on that stone again. But I think i'm finally in the frame of mind to get it done. Here's a few pics of what I've done so far.

Steel frame

Durock completed
Last Saturday I went whole hog and got the stone on in one day.

I partied/celebrated Saturday night, so I wasn't in much shape to get anything done on Sunday. Getting waaay too old do work this hard.
This coming weekend I'm going to start putting the rough cedar on the front. Will post a few pics as I go.
Thanks for looking. Happy cooking.

Comments

• Can't wait to see how this turns out.  It's looks great so far. 
    Atlanta, GA 

LBGE, Mini-Max, Mini, 1995 BGE Chiminea, 22" Blackstone, Weber Genesis E-310. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    "I partied/celebrated Saturday night, so I wasn't in much shape to get anything done on Sunday."

Now that's called priorities! 

I'm envious. You're going to have one nice setup!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

@Smolder  Very nice, and you clearly know what you are doing.  Standing by for the finished product.

Phoenix 
  • drumdudeguy
    drumdudeguy Posts: 165

Looks amazing!

Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • Smolder
    Smolder Posts: 104
    blasting said:

@Smolder  Very nice, and you clearly know what you are doing.  Standing by for the finished product.

Well, this is my first time building anything like this. I'm a hobbyist woodworker, so some of those skills are transferable. I tend to do a lot of internet research when starting something new. I always overbuild everything I do. That has it pros/cons. Just when I think I've thought of everything, something will pop up that's not done right or could have been done better. The little drainage system is one of the overbuilt items, but I guarantee, no water, bugs will be getting to the inside that way. :)
    Thanks for the positive feedback.
  • kingsmoke
    kingsmoke Posts: 151
    tharding said:
    Made this for myself and one for my son who got me into egging.
     Nice work !!
    Grand Rapids , Mi
    LBGE -  28Blackstone - Saber grill
  • tharding
    tharding Posts: 25
    Thanks kingsmoke. I am new to this forum. I did not mean to post this to Smolders thread. Still not sure how to add a post to a general discussion, only to a established thread. Sorry Smolder, your setup is awesome!! 

Enjoying life on my LBGE in Tell City, IN. Cheers!!

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    edited May 2018
    Smolder said:
    This has been on the list of To Do's for a couple of years now. Since putting the rock around all the poles on the patio, I haven't wanted lay hands on that stone again. But I think i'm finally in the frame of mind to get it done. Here's a few pics of what I've done so far.

Steel frame

Durock completed

I partied/celebrated Saturday night, so I wasn't in much shape to get anything done on Sunday. Getting waaay too old do work this hard.
    This coming weekend I'm going to start putting the rough cedar on the front. Will post a few pics as I go.

Anyone that celebrates halfway through a task is
    OK in my book!  
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Looks great cant wait to see the progress

Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • Smolder
    tharding said:
    Thanks kingsmoke. I am new to this forum. I did not mean to post this to Smolders thread. Still not sure how to add a post to a general discussion, only to a established thread. Sorry Smolder, your setup is awesome!! 
    No worries. That's a beautiful table. I know your son is enjoying that. Thanks for the kind words.
  • Smolder
    dmchicago said:
    Smolder said:

Steel frame

Durock completed

Anyone that celebrates halfway through a task is
    OK in my book!  
    Yeah, the celebration was mainly for not having to mess with cutting and laying that stone anymore.
  • Thomasc18
    Thomasc18 Posts: 197
    Looks great!
    Madison, AL
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    @Smolder - Awesome looking setup.  What are you using for the top?

@tharding - nice looking table - great job!
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Just notice the vents in the stone. Nice detail work so far.
      If you had to guess would you say in materials this would be under 1K?  Just asking as I'm about to move to a new home and looking to build an outdoor kitchen area. 
    Atlanta, GA 

• Smolder
    @Smolder - Awesome looking setup.  What are you using for the top?

@tharding - nice looking table - great job!
    Going with granite. Spent a lot of time considering a concrete top. I was just concerned with the longevity of it in Kansas. It will be exposed to the elements all year long.
  • That looks real nice.   I can’t wait to see how it progresses.  Way to go.
    Southwestern CT
  • Smolder
    Just notice the vents in the stone. Nice detail work so far.
      If you had to guess would you say in materials this would be under 1K?  Just asking as I'm about to move to a new home and looking to build an outdoor kitchen area. 
    For everything under the top, definitely. The metal framing and durock was around $200. The rough cedar for front, doors and drawers around $150. I'm going to coat all the cabinets and drawers in truck bed liner. That's about $50. The stone was bought in quantity for the whole patio project. The poles are surrounded with it and I'm planning a gas fireplace in addition to the cook area. Probably $350 of it was the cook area.
     The granite will be the biggest cost. That's going to be $1,125.
    If you're able to do the work yourself, you can cut the cost considerably.
  • Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    Very Nice!!!
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • Smolder
    Smoker317 said:
    Very Nice!!!
    Thanks! It's coming along.
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    What's the purpose of the vents? Is there a gas grill going there? I've started work on mine, which will be smaller, but I hope to not do stone...

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• Smolder
    Kayak said:
    What's the purpose of the vents? Is there a gas grill going there? I've started work on mine, which will be smaller, but I hope to not do stone...
    Yeah, vents for the gas grill. I saw several posts during my research of explosions in outdoor cook areas due to not being ventilated properly. Better safe than sorry. 
  • Are you going to do any lighting? I have so many ideas running through my head. Wondering what you’re going to do next. 
    Atlanta, GA 

• Smolder
    edited May 2018
    Are you going to do any lighting? I have so many ideas running through my head. Wondering what you’re going to do next. 
    I'm not sure yet. I'm thinking of doing a small spotlight behind the cook area attached to the pergola. That way I could aim it right at the egg. I already have electrical stubbed out on the pergola for future lighting needs.
     My wife wants me to do some sort of accent lighting around the cook area. I have an extra plug wired inside for the gas grill light/rotisserie that would have a free socket, so we'll see. I'll keep this thread up to date with pics as I finish the project. Granite is scheduled to be installed next friday, so my objective is to get the cedar done on the front this weekend. I have the cabinets/drawers built, just haven't done the fronts for them yet.
    This is a picture of the whole patio project. The light I was thinking of placing would be to the right of the far hanging basket closest to the house. Kind of under the pergola, angled down to the cook area.
  • kingsmoke
    kingsmoke Posts: 151
    Smolder said:
    Are you going to do any lighting? I have so many ideas running through my head. Wondering what you’re going to do next. 
    I'm not sure yet. I'm thinking of doing a small spotlight behind the cook area attached to the pergola. That way I could aim it right at the egg. I already have electrical stubbed out on the pergola for future lighting needs.
     My wife wants me to do some sort of accent lighting around the cook area. I have an extra plug wired inside for the gas grill light/rotisserie that would have a free socket, so we'll see. I'll keep this thread up to date with pics as I finish the project. Granite is scheduled to be installed next friday, so my objective is to get the cedar done on the front this weekend. I have the cabinets/drawers built, just haven't done the fronts for them yet.
    This is a picture of the whole patio project. The light I was thinking of placing would be to the right of the far hanging basket. Kind of under the pergola, angled down to the cook area.
     That looks amazing and well thought out
    Grand Rapids , Mi
    LBGE -  28Blackstone - Saber grill
  • Smolder
    Here's an alternate view of the patio area and the small amount of the cedar I was able to get done. It's fairly slow going due to the process of a silicone bead on the back side of each slat, gorilla wood glue on the edge and deck screws from behind. I don't want any screws to show from the front and trying to squeeze my 6'2" frame inside to screw them in is less than enjoyable. No work yesterday due to mother's day.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    I hope you dont have to mow that grass on the other side of your pergola/cooking area. Project is coming along nicely, may have to borrow a few ideas. Do you have drawers and doors for the openings you have left in cedar?
  • Smolder
    edited May 2018
    Tspud1 said:
    I hope you dont have to mow that grass on the other side of your pergola/cooking area. Project is coming along nicely, may have to borrow a few ideas. Do you have drawers and doors for the openings you have left in cedar?
    As a matter if fact, I just got done mowing over my lunch hour today. It's only about an acre and a half. Takes me about 45 min.
    I'm in the process of making the doors/drawers. Boxes are done, just need to make the fronts.
    Feel free to borrow what you like. That's the purpose of the post.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Here are some I made for a friends outdoor kitchen