Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can’t get Mini Max lit

Second post. First light. Wife bought me a large and a mini max. Doing my first light on both. Large is fine and stable temp. I cannot seem to get the MM lit; once it’s lit, the temp shoots way up and I have to close vents down a little because I don’t want to melt my gaskets. Then the temp dies down to and stays at 150. Because I’m not cooking, I’m just using B&B oak lump. Any help would be appreciated. 

Comments

• EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Are you set up correctly with the hole in your fire bowl aligned to your vent? 
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • pkrist01
    pkrist01 Posts: 10
    Just checked myself and it looks like I did that right. I have Smokeware caps on both eggs and have the top off of the cap on the MM. Bottom vent wide open. Been this way 
  • pkrist01
    been that way for about 45 min. 
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    edited May 2018
    I have the Large and Mini Max also, I can be done cooking on the Large by the time the Mini Max heats up, well sometimes seems that way.

I find I need to have smaller pieces in the Mini Max, and leave the lid open for a while, 15 minutes or so.  but when she heats up, it rocks!
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    edited May 2018
    How are you lighting? Leave the dome up! 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• pkrist01
    Sounds like a couple things I did wrong. Since it’s my first time, I just poured from the bag into the MM and I think there are some larger pieces in there. I also closed it after I lit it thinking the vents would give up enough air. 
  • pkrist01
    ColtsFan said:
    How are you lighting? Leave the dome up! 
    Just realized a closed the lid and should have left it open for a bit. Rookie mistake. 
  • pkrist01

EggNorth said:
    I have the Large and Mini Max also, I can be done cooking on the Large by the time the Mini Max heats up, well sometimes seems that way.

I find I need to have smaller pieces in the Mini Max, and leave the lid open for a while, 15 minutes or so.  but when she heats up, it rocks!
    Once the charcoal gets going, how open is your bottom vent?
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    MM struggles compared to the large. Don’t shut the vent down too much if you want grilling temps. Remember the MM has the same front vent as the mini. 
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    pkrist01 said:

EggNorth said:

Once the charcoal gets going, how open is your bottom vent?
    Depends on what is cooking .. About the same as the large, once it's going just open a little.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Where did you find this incredible wife!?  She bought you 2 eggs from the start?    Well done sir! 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Mickey said:
    I am cooking in 5 mins on my Large's, Mini, and Mini-Max every time for years. 

HAHAHAHAH. Man I need one of those! What kinda tank’s powering that beast?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited May 2018
    Powak said:
    Mickey said:

HAHAHAHAH. Man I need one of those! What kinda tank’s powering that beast?
    Weedburner sold at Tractor Supply or Amazon. The tank is just a small propane like you used on your old gasser BBQ. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• pkrist01
    GoooDawgs said:
    Where did you find this incredible wife!?  She bought you 2 eggs from the start?    Well done sir! 
    In my first post a couple weeks ago, I mentioned that she also got me a BBQ Guru DX2 and stained and finished the table I made for the eggs. She’s a keeper!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Here we are again, discussing how to start a fire.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Mickey said:

He’s a heretic!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • pkrist01
    DMW said:

And people like me are lucky to have people like you who are so willing to share what you have learned! Many thanks DMV!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    pkrist01 said:
    DMW said:

And people like me are lucky to have people like you who are so willing to share what you have learned! Many thanks DMV!
    Make sure you don’t like @DMV on Facebook.  Unless your firewalls are made of kryptonite.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110

Some of the info in the link below may look/seem outdated, but it was the first, real site, with any info about ceramic cooking. It was well established when I was sent there over 10 years ago. I can't even imagine the thousands of hours that were put into this site...Take some time and read through it. There are many different ways to start a fire and get it going in your Egg. Find what works best for you.

Thank you @nakedwhiz

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas