Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE - On Concrete Pedestal with or without feet

GreenEggMachine
GreenEggMachine Posts: 8
edited May 2018 in EGG Table Forum
Just bought a BGE XL and built a 24 x 24 x 22 concrete block if you will to set the egg on.  I didn't use the ceramic feet and just set my Egg right on the concrete.   Eventually, I plan to wrap the pedestal in stone and use the same counter top as my other grill.  I hear a lot of people saying I need feet...., but is that just because they are using wood stands?

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    No need for an air gap on concrete. My small has been sitting directly on a concrete “nest” for several years now. 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• From the BGE website - THE EGG IS DESIGNED TO BE USED IN A METAL NEST OR WITH A METAL TABLE NEST, PROVIDING AN AIR GAP BELOW THE EGG”.

Others can chime in to confirm, but I believe that the gap is not only a matter of safety relative to potentially combustible materials below; it’s also a way to ensure heat dissipation from the cooker. 
  • kaybee
    kaybee Posts: 120
    My solution when one of my feet broke and the local dealer wanted $35 for a replacement set was to put the egg up on bricks as a spacer. I agree that the air flow beneath is critical for the long life of the egg as well (my medium is 20+ years old).

I placed 3 regular bricks spaced at 120 degrees in a Y shape and then put the egg on the bricks. Much more stable than the original feet, plenty of air circulation beneath and the added advantage of improving the cooking height in my case....

Here's a pic. Don't worry about the blackening on the bricks, that was there before I started using them as
    feet...

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    put 3 quarters equally spaced where the feet would go and dont look back ;) you just need a little space for airflow and cooling
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Actually the air gap reduces cooling.  The cement block in direct contact with the egg is a heat sink with conductive heat transfer.  Far less heat loss occurs across an air gap.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    From the BGE website - THE EGG IS DESIGNED TO BE USED IN A METAL NEST OR WITH A METAL TABLE NEST, PROVIDING AN AIR GAP BELOW THE EGG”.

Others can chime in to confirm, but I believe that the gap is not only a matter of safety relative to potentially combustible materials below; it’s also a way to ensure heat dissipation from the cooker. 
    This quote from BGE is talking about using an egg in a wood table or placing it on a wood surface. It also says in the next sentence: "Alternately, a concrete paver block may be used to support the EGG when used in a table."  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• I had my egg up to 650 and the bottom of egg contacting the cement was cold to the touch.  Is that because it's not going for hours on end and didn't have a chance to heat up.  I guess there is a multiple reason why.  Better air flow, longevity and safety.
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    as far as I know BGE has not come with FEET in years. they may sell them , but we would never order or sell them . T Y . R Egg Seller.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    as far as I know BGE has not come with FEET in years. they may sell them , but we would never order or sell them . T Y . R Egg Seller.
    They replaced them with the table nest about 2-3 years ago.
  • I've been using a concrete paver for years but I do plan to get a table nest because thats what the cool kids do 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I've been using a concrete paver for years but I do plan to get a table nest because thats what the cool kids do 
    There have been pics posted in the past ny folks withbtheir egg in abtabke, showing  the wood under a concrete paver  discolored and nearly charred .

An air gap is your friend, whatever way you achieve it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    I've been using a concrete paver for years but I do plan to get a table nest because thats what the cool kids do 
    Us cool kids stay cool because our table, porch, house isn’t on fire. I was shocked at the damage to my table under the paver stone my egg was on . Changed to table nest after reading a post and seeing pictures here several years back. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Lot of cool kids don't wear seat belts either.......they haven't been hurt yet, because they haven't been in an accident yet........but that's because it just hasn't been their [un]lucky day yet.

Don't chance it.  Just set a couple floor tiles between the paver and the egg and you're done.  Less than a dollar investment.