Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OK to replace only a small section of the gasket?

Options
Hey all --

Been cooking on my large BGE for 2+ years now but finally joined this forum! 

My question's in the title, but here's some background that may be pertinent:

Replaced my gasket recently. It was easy, but realigning the bands/dome was a nightmare. Couldn't pass the dollar bill test (usually the back flunked), which ultimately convinced me my bands were bent. 

My dealer sent me the new band assembly with removable springs. Once again, dome wouldn't align right. This time, it lost alignment/seal only with the springs in place. So I gave up and have been using it without the springs.

Other than being heavy to open/close (which kinda defeats the new band's best feature), its worked fine w/o springs. A bit of an underbite in the back with the dome protruding past the base, but good seal/dollar bill test results and low n slow cooks as well as a few pizzas have all turned out great.

I did my first high-temp (700) cook this weekend. The next day I noticed a 4-6 inch section of gasket at the very back "drooping" into the egg. Its not hanging off completely; just about 3/4 of its width is droopin' down. 

FWIW, it still cooked a Butt for 8 hours to great results since, but I figure any high temp cooks will only worsen things until I'm replacing the gasket again.

I have plenty of extra gasket  - so can I just replace the section that's drooping?

Or am I just exchanging one problem for another?  

Anyone see a reason that not using the springs could play into this?

Comments

• Zeiger88
    Zeiger88 Posts: 171
    Options
    One dealer by me said to cut out the bad section and cut a tight fit piece to fill in the gap he gave me a seal for the daisy wheel it was on my mini max. FWIW
    BGE XL June 2017 Flameboss 300 February 2018 Mini max July 2018 Lima, Ohio 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    First, you do not need to take off the dome to install the gasket. 2nd, I would jut clean that spot wreak good and restick it with some permatex or something like that. If the gasket is that new, you have an adhesion problem, not a gasket problem. Prep it and restick it.  
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    If it is already not working why not get ahold of @RRP and get a good rutland gasket and just it once more for the life of your egg.  you could just permatex the bad part down but your going to be replacing it in two years again.  just get the rutland and make it the last time.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    Options
    What he said. Spend the $20 and be done. $20 should cover the gasket and permatex. 
  • BGEsq
    BGEsq Posts: 2
    Options
    Ah the famous Rutland gasket. Read about it, but only after I installed this new one (while searching for how to fix this issue). Funny thing is I already use Rutland starter cubes to light every cook. I’ll move to their gasket eventually. Want to salvage this one first. In combination with the smokeaware cap I started using around the same time, my cooks are better than ever