Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seared Scallops with Basil Sauce

Wanasmoke
Wanasmoke Posts: 388
edited May 2018 in EggHead Forum
This was a trial run on a dish for an upcoming dinner party. Dry pack scallops, seared direct on CI with butter. Basil and garlic butter cream sauce, sea salt, lemon zest.... missing some micro greens on top- couldn’t find any yet.  Keeper

LBGE in Elm Grove, WI

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    That looks incredible.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!!!

(Except that if I only get one to a plate, I'd be going through a lot of plates...)

:)
  • Wanasmoke
    Theophan said:

(Except that if I only get one to a plate, I'd be going through a lot of plates...)

LOL @Theophan .... it’s part of a 5 course menu- should I give 2?  ;) 
    LBGE in Elm Grove, WI
  • "Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Wanasmoke said:
    Theophan said:

If that's just 1 of 5 courses, I really want to invite myself over. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Wanasmoke said:
    Hmm... I definitely think you need my input on the entire menu!  Invite me over for a preview of the entire meal, and let me taste as much as I want of every course, and I'll tell you exactly how much to serve.

Semi-seriously, though, I think it's like olives in a Martini:  one is fine, three is fine, but two just isn't OK.  If you have a satisfying meal on the way, sure, I think one scallop would be a great "amuse bouche," and conversation starter.  Looks beautiful!
  • lowandslow
    lowandslow Posts: 122
    That looks restaurant quality!  Do you mind sharing the basil sauce recipe?
    Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    That looks great!  I also cook sea scallops on the EGG with CI.  They come out great.

Can you post the recipe for that basil garlic cream sauce you have?  That looks delicious.  

I made some last week as it's one of my wife's favorite. I don't put them in a pretty sauce though... it's more of a drop on the plate.  "here. eat." :lol:

Here's last week's cook. Kind of rushed, I let that first sear go about 30 seconds too long... I was probably taking pictures of them;

LBGE/Maryland
  • Wanasmoke
    That looks restaurant quality!  Do you mind sharing the basil sauce recipe?
    @lowandslow  It’s not for the calorie counters!  Basically made a compound butter with basil and minced garlic, a little salt and pepper. Heated the butter in a saucepan gently then added a little cream. Thickened with a tablespoon of corn starch slurry. 
    LBGE in Elm Grove, WI
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Wanasmoke said:
    ...It’s not for the calorie counters!  Basically made a compound butter with basil and minced garlic, a little salt and pepper. Heated the butter in a saucepan gently then added a little cream. Thickened with a tablespoon of corn starch slurry. 
    Sounds great to me. Thanks for sharing!

I suspect you can make a few different variants of this for your party.

I'd do one that is the same with a Chipolte or Smoked Paprika instead of the basil.  Then you'd get a red one and a green one.

Maybe do an orange one, make that the spciy one, with some habanero and/or that Peruvian Aji Amarillo Paste

Good stuff.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    That looks awesome.  I'd say add about 10 scallops even if it is 1 of 5 courses. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95