Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Royal Oak bags

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Unless they’ve changed the lump inside, I call BS on the 15 minutes. 
  • dopey
    dopey Posts: 201
    Options
    If you're using a chimney starter no problem 15 mins
    What I do when I'm black out drunk is none of my business...

John Central CT
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    dopey said:
    That depends on what your cooking and if that person likes campfire food.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • dopey
    Options
    dopey said:

?  If I'm using the Weber kettle and pop a load in the chimney it's always ready to go in APPROXIMATELY 15 minutes

John Central CT
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited May 2018
    Options
    That’s cool man, didn’t mean to ruffle your feathers.  I Just know that RO is not on my list of favorite lumps.  

I wont buy it so more for you.  Lol.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • dopey
    Options
    That’s cool man, didn’t mean to ruffle your feathers.  I Just know that RO is not on my list of favorite lumps.  

I wont buy it so more for you.  Lol.  
    No feathers ruffled.  Still love you man

John Central CT
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I guess the 6 bags I bought today fresh off a pallet were old stock from some warehouse, but what I noticed was the sneaky cut from 8.8# to 8.0#.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Really? I almost always can hit temps of 350-400 in about 15min with RO. Though 500-600 takes around 25-30 min for some odd reason. I have the daisy wheel off and the vent fully open. Once I’m within about 25-30 degrees I close vents down and set the daisy wheel.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    From my experience, it’s still chugging white smoke after 15 mins. Your mileage may vary. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    dopey said:
    dopey said:

?  If I'm using the Weber kettle and pop a load in the chimney it's always ready to go in APPROXIMATELY 15 minutes
     Weber kettle is a different beast.  I buy 15 minutes for that.  For a LS on an egg, 45 minutes easy.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I have had my XL ready to go in 15 minutes before using a chimney. (and sometimes, I speed it along using a fan or even a leaf blower  =)
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    But is it ready to forge in 15minutes ....

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Cowboy!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Lump is more than lump.
    I'm Rockwood hard, right now.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    Focker said:
    Lump is more than lump.
    I'm Rockwood hard, right now.
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    From my experience, it’s still chugging white smoke after 15 mins. Your mileage may vary. 
    You have to figure most of the home store buyers saturate their lump in lighter fluid and light it up. 15 minutes later they are cooking on that chemical smelling fire they love.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    You have to figure most of the home store buyers saturate their lump in lighter fluid and light it up. 15 minutes later they are cooking on that chemical smelling fire they love.lol
    Yup! And then douse their steak with catsup and A-1. :s
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • KMDisland
    KMDisland Posts: 7
    Options
    I don't know if I got two bad bags of royal oak but everything I cooked had a terrible strong nasty smoke taste to it and I didn't add any wood.  My wife refused to eat anything I cooked on the egg using royal oak.  I switched to rock wood and all has been great.  
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    I have found many pieces of bark in bags of RO. I never just dump and light any more. Just one piece of uncarbonized bark will take forever to stop smoking unless you get it out of the fire.
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Michael, if it's still smoking at that point all that needs to be done is dig around and find the culprit piece of wood not lump and toss it out, it's easy to find because it's usually got a flame if at the top of the pile of lump, if not it can be found by looking for it with a pair of tongs. The premium Lump has less of a problem but it still happens............ if one is willing to pay in some cases 3 times the cost that's ok for sure. Me I'm retired and have no problem fishing out the bad stuff and in fact in the last 4 weeks have done so with some of the premium lump I recently acquired only 4 pieces in one bag, no big problem for me. :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    Michael, if it's still smoking at that point all that needs to be done is dig around and find the culprit piece of wood not lump and toss it out, it's easy to find because it's usually got a flame if at the top of the pile of lump, if not it can be found by looking for it with a pair of tongs. The premium Lump has less of a problem but it still happens............ if one is willing to pay in some cases 3 times the cost that's ok for sure. Me I'm retired and have no problem fishing out the bad stuff and in fact in the last 4 weeks have done so with some of the premium lump I recently acquired only 4 pieces in one bag, no big problem for me. :)
    Meh, I’ll just stick to the RW and save the fishing for the lake.  ;)
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Meh, I’ll just stick to the RW and save the fishing for the lake.  ;)
    You win brother! Youins coming to the GA Fest?

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    No sir we won’t be attending. Have a great time! 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    No sir we won’t be attending. Have a great time! 
    Sure wish ya could stop by for the day Saturday, a bunch of us Butt Blasters will be there!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    @Jupiter Jim, I, too, use Royal Oak.  Pretty much the same reasons as you,  Does the job and no long distance shipping costs.
    If Rockwood was available locally, I would probably be interested, but I'm not gonna pay to have it shipped across the country.
    I don't notice a very long time for RO to "burn clean" and have been pretty darn happy with it for several years.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    RRP said:
    I guess the 6 bags I bought today fresh off a pallet were old stock from some warehouse, but what I noticed was the sneaky cut from 8.8# to 8.0#.
    Never seen bags that small
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian