Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome temperature thermometer

I'm new here.  Only had my egg about a month and I apologize if this is already addressed which I'm sure it has, just can't find my answer.  I bought a Thermo Pro wireless thermometer which works fine, but I'm tired of running outside to check the dome temperature while waiting for it to come to my target temp.  And during cooking it worries me too.  Is there a remote thermometer for that?  Thanks.

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    You can put a probe through the dome temp hole if you are cooking indirect.  Or get yourself a pair of binoculars so you can see the temp from the window.  You can also monitor internal egg temp via a pit probe with a product like the Smoke or Maverick or any of the fan controllers or smobot.
    NOLA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  
    Regarding accessories and after-market toys, your credit card limit will become the controlling factor if you are so inclined.  ;)  
    This place can enable you to spend $$ on things you never knew you needed.    
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited May 2018
    Welcome!

You want to monitor the temperature at the grate level not at the dome. Check out the Thermoworks Smoke. I upgraded from the Maverick 732 last year. Although Smoke is more expensive, it is far superior in the build and performance. 
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • WWW2B
    WWW2B Posts: 6
    Agh, I knew you all would tell me what I need.  Thanks.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Welcome.  I am a bit confused.  I thought the ThermoPro wireless thermometers allow you to do what you are asking for.  Did you get a ThermoPro that only has one probe?  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• 1voyager
    I am banned from going to Ace Hardware. Everytime I go there I find something that I "need".  =)
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    1voyager said:

You want to monitor the temperature at the grate level not at the dome.
    I disagree with this.  I think the dome temp is sufficient for monitoring a cook.  Unless  you are using a controller, chasing grate temp is going to be difficult because of the variance in the temperatures inside of the egg due to airflow.
    NOLA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Regarding temperature and cook control:  You can get wound around what device/location and any other variable you want to include.  Pick one device, learn how your BGE responds and go from there.  I use the dome thermo as that is the one indicator all BGE's come with.  
    BTW- the generally accepted practice here is that if a cook temp is provided it is dome unless otherwise noted.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WWW2B
    Welcome.  I am a bit confused.  I thought the ThermoPro wireless thermometers allow you to do what you are asking for.  Did you get a ThermoPro that only has one probe?  
    Yes I did.  I didn't think I would ever need a second probe.  Even if it had two, would you just close the lid on the probe?

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Yes.  Or you can replace the BGE dome thermometer:

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Yes, you just close the dome on the wires. It doesn’t hurt a thing. I am a grate temp guy. As said before, pick either dome or grate temp and stick with it. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • 1voyager
    edited May 2018
    buzd504 said:
    1voyager said:

I disagree with this.  I think the dome temp is sufficient for monitoring a cook.  Unless  you are using a controller, chasing grate temp is going to be difficult because of the variance in the temperatures inside of the egg due to airflow.
    When I first started using my Egg 5-6  years ago I went by dome temperature as you suggest. Doing so during the summer months worked great but once winter arrived with 20  degree weather one day and 60  degree weather the next, the results were unpredictable. 

After purchasing the Maverick I discovered grate temp versus dome temp varied significantly depending on external temperature, rain, snow or hail. There was zero predictability for the grate to dome temperature variance. 

The good news for you is that you saved $$$ by not having to purchase additional Egg toys.  :D
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    I have a Thermoworks  Duo that has Bluetooth connectivity on my IPhone.  I’d opt for a WiFi model since Bluetooth range isn’t that great.  If I’m doing longer cooks I typically use my FB300 controller & it has WIFI so rarely lose connection.

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • This has nothing to do with what was asked, but some may have use for this. Someone I know is about to do this.
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Increasing-the-Range-of-a-Wireless-BBQ-Thermometer/
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    buzd504 said:
    1voyager said:

An additional drawback to monitoring at the grate is you will constantly be seeing the disparity between the grate and the Dome Temps.  And it can drive you crazy. I have my maverick remote hooked to my Dome thermometer right now while I smoke some Baby backs.  It's a good solution for me. YMMV. 
    New Orleans LA
  • smokeybreeze
    smokeybreeze Posts: 216
    @RRP, this is what I've been teaching for decades. Good on you for propagating this message!
  • WWW2B
    RRP said:
    As long as the thermometer is visible from inside your home here's an effective, cheap solution. Just take that needless spring clip off the back of the probe. It isn't needed anyway since gravity keeps it in the dome. Then turn the dial so that your desired temperature is at 12:00. Then with a simple glance you can see how close the temperature is to what you want. This has been described as an old race car driver trick so a quick glance down told them the relation to their desired speed!

Unfortunately the grill is not where I can see if from the house.  I work from home and like to start the coals early in the day but I have to constantly keep going outside to check the temp.  
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I use a Maverick that has two probes, and it does exactly what you need.  BUT as someone else above said, the Thermoworks "Smoke" is a better unit, and I wish I had it instead, AND... it's on sale right now!  I think the sale goes on for a few days (till the 4th maybe?), but there's $3.99 shipping that ends TODAY.  click the link I put above to see whether it's something you want or not.  It's by the same people that make the Thermapen, which most people here consider the "gold standard" for instant-read thermometers.
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 579
    RRP said:
    As long as the thermometer is visible from inside your home here's an effective, cheap solution. Just take that needless spring clip off the back of the probe. It isn't needed anyway since gravity keeps it in the dome. Then turn the dial so that your desired temperature is at 12:00. Then with a simple glance you can see how close the temperature is to what you want. This has been described as an old race car driver trick so a quick glance down told them the relation to their desired speed!
    This. I can look out my window and now even have to go downstairs.
  • WWW2B
    edited July 2018