Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Don't incriminate yourself in front of your smart tv!

Options

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    would you expect that not to be happening
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    Big Data rules all. All IoT devices are collecting data.. Smart TV's, Cell phones, internet browsers, Echo devices, etc...

You every think about why and how Google has so much $$? What products/services do they sell? Data...They collect and sell data

FYI, that article is over a year old too, not that it's relevant
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Well that’s an interesting take on the subject. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options

This goes back to what we all were talking about the other day a little bit. They gather it and I have zero doubt its either sold to the government or hacked by the government. Wasn't it just recently that an Amazon Echo was used in a murder trial. I believe what happened was a guy was murdered at someone's house and the police obtained the records from Amazon or the actual device. It brought up the question that why if supposedly these things aren't listening all the time and only when the keyword "Alexa" is spoken did the police need the data. Its because the device is on all the time recording every minute of every day. Then again so is your cellphone and apparently your TV so unless you become a Luddite good luck. Think about why all of these companies are buying multiple hundred thousand sq ft warehouses just for servers. Amazon,Facebook,Google,Apple. All of them are doing it. Heck they have built over 3 Million sq ft of warehouses in the DFW area in just the last 6 months.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    "I'm SHOCKED"........said no one.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    Options
    the tinfoiled hats were right all along =);)
    fukahwee maine

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    Hey Fish, maybe you can point your TV out the window and catch your rogue gardener in the act. 
    LOL!
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• fishlessman
    Options
    Hey Fish, maybe you can point your TV out the window and catch your rogue gardener in the act. 
    im not sure if my 1980's tv is that far advanced, nor is my old flip phone =) now if they start putting listening devices on bottles of crown im a gonner
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,948
    Options
    To be clear, this is only when you activate voice recognition on the set, and only when the TV is actively gathering sound to send the data out for processing. 

So while it's possible that something incriminating that was spoken 1) could be captured while 2) someone else had activated voice recognition on the set, and that 3) the authorities could later discern that those two things likely happened simultaneously and 4) issue a warrant to the third party to acquire the data... it is 5) also possible that monkeys are flying out of my butt right now.  Highly unlikely, but... possible.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Or so they say.  :s
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,173
    Options
    To be clear, this is only when you activate voice recognition on the set, and only when the TV is actively gathering sound to send the data out for processing. 

So while it's possible that something incriminating that was spoken 1) could be captured while 2) someone else had activated voice recognition on the set, and that 3) the authorities could later discern that those two things likely happened simultaneously and 4) issue a warrant to the third party to acquire the data... it is 5) also possible that monkeys are flying out of my butt right now.  Highly unlikely, but... possible.  
    You forgot about the authorites being the ones spying. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
         JohnInCarolina said:

You put wayyyy to much faith in the government doing what's morally right. =)

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• nate1152
    nate1152 Posts: 20
    Options
         JohnInCarolina said:

Correct, the government knows no morality.

However, I do think @JohnInCarolina is on the right track - the 4th amendment hawks will be all over this when the first killer is captured by his TV.
    Minneapolis, MN

"90% of life is showing up. The other 50% is style." - Me, after a long night of drinking.
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited May 2018
    Options
         JohnInCarolina said:

Not at all.  I’m just explaining the logistics of what needs to happen here.  Even if you assume a malicious government hacking into Samsung’s third party provider to acquire the data, you have a needle in a haystack problem.  A gigantic haystack and a microscopic needle.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
         JohnInCarolina said:

Not at all.  I’m just explaining the logistics of what needs to happen here.  Even if you assume a malicious government hacking into Samsung’s third party provider to acquire the data, you have a needle in a haystack problem.  A gigantic haystack and a microscopic needle.

True. I think sometimes I tend to forget also, what bored stiff in some government office wants to listen to me b*tch about cleaning my house with my wife. Or listen to me cut a fart in my living room. Talk about a job no one would want. Given that I am not a law breaking scumbag I think they probably fast forward through any recordings of all TEXASBGE2018's Casa. Then again the Libertarian in me says "hey get off my lawn and outta my life"

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
         JohnInCarolina said:

True. I think sometimes I tend to forget also, what bored stiff in some government office wants to listen to me b*tch about cleaning my house with my wife. Or listen to me cut a fart in my living room. Talk about a job no one would want. Given that I am not a law breaking scumbag I think they probably fast forward through any recordings of all TEXASBGE2018's Casa. Then again the Libertarian in me says "hey get off my lawn and outta my life"
    Ahm yeah nobody is actually listening to run of the mill conversations, whether we're talking about data acquired through the TVs or cell phones or wherever.  These days the first pass is effected with NLP and deep learning algorithms before any human ever actually listens to anything.  Even then the data set that comes out of the low pass filter is enormous, and additional supplemental info comes in to provide an indicator of a likely target worth a human being listening to.  
  • fishlessman
    Options
    was just looking at those freshly planted trees and found this, what could it be

Image result for tiny listening device in plants
    fukahwee maine

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    Shouldn’t have touched it Fish, now they have your DNA.
  • fishlessman
    Options
         JohnInCarolina said:

Ahm yeah nobody is actually listening to run of the mill conversations, whether we're talking about data acquired through the TVs or cell phones or wherever.  These days the first pass is effected with NLP and deep learning algorithms before any human ever actually listens to anything.  Even then the data set that comes out of the low pass filter is enormous, and additional supplemental info comes in to provide an indicator of a likely target worth a human being listening to.  
    those two pressure cookers i lent you years ago, i need them back mr boston....just testing nlp and deep learning algorithms =)
    fukahwee maine

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    It's always confounding how the same folks that complain about the government being so incompetent that it can't tell its a$$ from its elbow are also the ones claiming that the government is capable of monitoring a gazillion devices in a gazillion homes producing a gazillion petabytes of data each day.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Is that why my wife insists on screaming my bank account number when we make love?  I just thought it was a weird fetish. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    Options
    johns dna can be found in the chocolate pots.  such a tidy person john is =)
    fukahwee maine

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    and a microscopic needle.
    We don’t do d!ck measuring around here until Friday night. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,173
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    and a microscopic needle.
    We don’t do d!ck measuring around here until Friday night. 
    Tuesday is the new Friday 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    It's always confounding how the same folks that complain about the government being so incompetent that it can't tell its a$$ from its elbow are also the ones claiming that the government is capable of monitoring a gazillion devices in a gazillion homes producing a gazillion petabytes of data each day.
    incompetent now, but chinas leading edge AI technologies will soon fix this problem
    fukahwee maine

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    One of our local radio show female host was talking about someone who had been trapped by something falling on them and said Siri call 9-1-1.  She repeated it on the radio the people with iPhone's started calling 9-1-1.  People started calling the show to tell to stop saying it.  All the smart devices are listening, so be careful what you say.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I understand what you're trying to say here, and for the most part I agree with the sentiment. 

However... I am also familiar with the caliber of people working inside the NSA and how that matches up against the caliber of people working in Congress, and let's just say the chasm is about as wide as the Grand Canyon.