Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce recipe

hondabbq
hondabbq Posts: 1,980

Im looking for a tried and tested Carolina mustard bbq sauce.

Ive never had it, and I cant get it anywhere near me and I want to try it, but I also want it authentic to the region.

Comments

• Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    edited May 2018
    I make the giddy swamp recipe and it is a big hit.  Can't speak to its authenticity so maybe someone else can weigh in on that. https://food52.com/recipes/21962-giddy-swamp-south-carolina-mustard-barbecue-sauce 
    Toronto ON
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    3/4 c yellow mustard 
    1/2 c honey 
    1/4 c apple cider vinegar 
    2 tbl ketchup 
    1 tbl brown sugar 
    2 tsp Worcestershire sauce 
    1 tsp hot sauce (your choice)
    from Big Bob Gibsons.
    Great flavor  
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    That sure sounds like it.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    This is different than what you're after, but it gets thumbs up everytime I serve with pulled pork or ribs.   I serve as a dipping sauce with grilled sausage for a quick appetizer too. 

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/other-fun-sauce-recipes/grownup-mustard-bbq-sauce-recipe

Grownup Mustard Sauce Recipe

In South Carolina BBQ sauces feature mustard. Here's a recipe that amps up the flavor with herbs. This sauce is fine for ribs but it is especially good on pulled pork, pork chops, baked potatoes, pretzels, hot dogs, and so much more.

Yield. Makes about 2 cups. Click here to calculate how much you need and for tips on saucing strategies.

Preparation time. About 30 minutes.

Ingredients

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1/2 cup onions, finely minced

3 tablespoons sweet red pepper, finely minced

2 cloves of garlic, crushed

1 teaspoons ground celery seed (not celery salt)

1 teaspoons finely ground black pepper

1 teaspoons hot pepper flakes for mild sauce

1 teaspoons dried thyme leaves

1/2 teaspoon whole dried rosemary leaves crushed in a mortar and pestle

1 cups prepared Dijon-style mustard

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/4 cup cider vinegar

1 cups dark brown sugar, firmly packed

2 teaspoons tomato paste

1 teaspoon powdered mustard

2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon of chicken bouillon granules or 1 cube dissolved in 1 ounce of water

About the hot pepper flakes. Double the amount for medium heat, and triple it for hot.

Optional. Garnish with minced fresh sweet red bell peppers or, if you like the heat, minced red jalapeñoñ. In the picture above the ribs are also garnished with caramelized onions.

Method

1) Put the oil into a quart sauce pan, and warm it on a medium-low heat. Add the onion and sweet red peppers and sweat them until the onions are limp. Add the garlic and cook it for about a minute.

2) Add the dry ingredients except the sugar. Cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes in order to develop and extract their flavors.

3) Add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. Bring to a low boil for 3 minutes, stirring frequently to keep the sugar from burning or sticking to the bottom. Simmer on low for another 15 minutes.

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I have a number of copied recipes for SC mustard style sauce, but don't know how authentic they are. So I went back to the Southern Foodways site, and looked over the oral histories from SC on their BBQ Trail.

As expected, no one really detailed their sauce. But there were some clues. Bessinger's sauce isn't very yellow, and they point that out. They call it golden. At 1st I wondered if that was because of brown sugar. That may part of it. Another history talked about the color of theirs being more like a rust brown. Then I read thru another story, and found mention of a supplier that is in business. They sell sauce, mustard, mayo in bulk, etc. The mustard is described as being not watered down. The pictures show something that is between yellow and brown mustard. It reminded me of a kind of locally produced Belgian style coarse mustard. Lots of the bran, and thick, rather pasty. The local is noticeably hotter than mass produced, and certainly not smooth and creamy.

So if you are going to try and make some yourself, look for a coarse commercial mustard. Or make your own. Its not hard. Pound the seed in a pestle. Either water, or vinegar will activate the pungency. Water will make it really hot, but the heat will only last about 3-4 days. Vinegar, used for most commercial preps, is not as hot, but last much longer.
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 464
    SSQUAL612 said:
    This is different than what you're after, but it gets thumbs up everytime I serve with pulled pork or ribs.   I serve as a dipping sauce with grilled sausage for a quick appetizer too. 

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/other-fun-sauce-recipes/grownup-mustard-bbq-sauce-recipe

In South Carolina BBQ sauces feature mustard. Here's a recipe that amps up the flavor with herbs. This sauce is fine for ribs but it is especially good on pulled pork, pork chops, baked potatoes, pretzels, hot dogs, and so much more.

Yield. Makes about 2 cups. Click here to calculate how much you need and for tips on saucing strategies.

Ingredients

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/4 cup cider vinegar

2 teaspoons tomato paste

About the hot pepper flakes. Double the amount for medium heat, and triple it for hot.

Optional. Garnish with minced fresh sweet red bell peppers or, if you like the heat, minced red jalapeñoñ. In the picture above the ribs are also garnished with caramelized onions.

Method

1) Put the oil into a quart sauce pan, and warm it on a medium-low heat. Add the onion and sweet red peppers and sweat them until the onions are limp. Add the garlic and cook it for about a minute.

2) Add the dry ingredients except the sugar. Cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes in order to develop and extract their flavors.

3) Add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. Bring to a low boil for 3 minutes, stirring frequently to keep the sugar from burning or sticking to the bottom. Simmer on low for another 15 minutes.

I'm doing (2) Boston Butts this weekend for family and I'm going to give this a shot.  Can't wait!  Thanks for the recipe!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 said:

Ingredients

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/4 cup cider vinegar

2 teaspoons tomato paste

Method

I'm doing (2) Boston Butts this weekend for family and I'm going to give this a shot.  Can't wait!  Thanks for the recipe!!
    Hope you hit your mark...let me know what you think about the sauce. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    +1 on the Amazing Ribs mustard sauce.  I make a huge batch of this a couple of times a year and bottle it in pint jars and process the jars in a water bath canner for 30 minutes.  Family and friends love it enough that we go through a dozen + pints a year.  
    XL  Central Ohio
  • Now if it were only easy to reproduce authentic SC hash I'd be good to go.   
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    How come @northGAcock always gives me store bought mustard sauce?  Smf.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    bgebrent said:
    Cause it is good as $hit and it is already made. My guess....Honda (north of the border) can’t purchase it up there. Can send him some....but the customs folks like it too. ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent said:
    Cause it is good as $hit and it is already made. My guess....Honda (north of the border) can’t purchase it up there. Can send him some....but the customs folks like it too. ;)
    Sounds like your favorite wing sauce...
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    That was award winning sauce thank you very much. Don’t seem to recall you being there....Skeeerrd!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    That was award winning sauce thank you very much. Don’t seem to recall you being there....Skeeerrd!
    If you could send me the Walmart link I’d appreciate it.  Never askeered.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    Hi. Try this.

Mustard Finishing Sauce for Pulled Pork

It works well on chicken as well.
    Mountain View, CA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    Eff I might have to try all of these.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 464
    SSQUAL612 said:
    SSQUAL612 said:

Ingredients

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/4 cup cider vinegar

2 teaspoons tomato paste

Method

OMG...this Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce recipe is da bomb!!  Unbelievable Thanks SSQUAL612!!  Now on to the Boston Butts, had some trouble with my FlameBoss200 so decided to go old school just like I learned with no technology to help with the cook.  I still got it!  The only decision I regret is foiling at the 170 deg mark, never done it before (and NEVER will again) that's for sure!!  They came out great but i think foiling softens the bark and who wants that?  I've read a lot on, to foil and not to foil, so I decided to check it out, never foil again (NFA)!!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 said:
    SSQUAL612 said:

Ingredients

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/4 cup cider vinegar

2 teaspoons tomato paste

Method

OMG...this Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce recipe is da bomb!!  Unbelievable Thanks SSQUAL612!!  Now on to the Boston Butts, had some trouble with my FlameBoss200 so decided to go old school just like I learned with no technology to help with the cook.  I still got it!  The only decision I regret is foiling at the 170 deg mark, never done it before (and NEVER will again) that's for sure!!  They came out great but i think foiling softens the bark and who wants that?  I've read a lot on, to foil and not to foil, so I decided to check it out, never foil again (NFA)!!!
    You’re welcome my Brother of the Fleet.  Glad you like it...one of my favorites.   Made me a double batch this weekend so I’m set...now to find a basic BBQ sauce that with a few tweaks it can be a sweet or savory sauce.