Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT outdoor music need suggestion for speaker/player

Options
poster
poster Posts: 1,172
I have a gazebo off the end of my deck that i want to have some music in. I have power in it as well as an older t.v.. I am hoping to be able to play music using spotify or youtube or some other app through my wi-fi and have it come through a decent speaker, and if possible also have whatever video or still play on the t.v. I may pick up a new t.v., but it will definitely not be a smart t.v. or anything special as this will sit outside through the winter/elements. I could use my phone as the player, but would prefer to be able to walk away with my phone to make a call or something and not interupt play. Any ideas?

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I have speakers by Definitive Technology.
    I have two pairs of the AW6500 speakers. One pair on the screened in porch and the second pair on the main deck.
    They are normally $249.50 for each individual speaker. They are on sale now for 179.50 each speaker.
    They sound really good and have proven durable. I have had the for 6 years.

I play music from my Sonos Connect passed through my Onkyo home theater receiver. The receiver has 3 separate music zones + the main home theater setup. I'm using 2 of the music zones for the outdoor setup.

If I wanted, I could play different music from each outdoor speaker pair courtesy of the Sonos. The Sonos can pull music from my Diskstation file server or virtually any online streaming service.

All of the Sonos system is controlled from my iPhone or my computers in the house. It's a really versatile system. I also have a few Sonos speakers scattered
    throughout the house. They can also stream different music simultaneously.

There are lots of options to do what you have in mind.  If you don't mind bringing a speaker in and out when you are done using it, Sonos has a number of good sounding stand alone speakers. This would avoid running speaker wires and having to have a receiver.
  • poster
    Options
    GregW said:
    I have speakers by Definitive Technology.
    I have two pairs of the AW6500 speakers. One pair on the screened in porch and the second pair on the main deck.
    They are normally $249.50 for each individual speaker. They are on sale now for 179.50 each speaker.
    They sound really good and have proven durable. I have had the for 6 years.

I play music from my Sonos Connect passed through my Onkyo home theater receiver. The receiver has 3 separate music zones + the main home theater setup. I'm using 2 of the music zones for the outdoor setup.

If I wanted, I could play different music from each outdoor speaker pair courtesy of the Sonos. The Sonos can pull music from my Diskstation file server or virtually any online streaming service.

All of the Sonos system is controlled from my iPhone of my computers in the house. It's a really versatile system. I also have a few Sonos speakers scattered
    throughout the house. They can also stream different music simultaneously.

There are lots of options to do what you have in mind.  If you don't mind bringing a speaker in and out when you are done using it, Sonos has a number of good sounding stand alone speakers. This would avoid running speaker wires and having to have a receiver.

To be honest, i think what you have is a little higher end then what i want to get into. I was originally just gonna pick up a Bluetooth speaker to pair with my phone. My hope was then to maybe have the video or album cover on display, then i thought maybe to not have my phine involved so it would be free, but maybe im getting in over my head a bit. Your system sounds sweet tgough
  • smak
    smak Posts: 199
    Options
    +1 on the SONOS.   I have a a pair speakers on the patio hooked up to a Connect:AMP.
    smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Floss sold me on the Monster Rockin Roller 3, looks like the 4 just came out.  I've went through a few Ion Block Rocker models like the Monster.  The Monster has been the best.

Perfect for the patio, drive-in, campground.  I love mine, and keep it in the kitchen and out of the elements.  Toss it in the truck and go.
    https://youtu.be/D7iUoau0Q98
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• higginsg
    higginsg Posts: 4
    Options
    https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/speakers_outlet/soundlink_color_ii_fr.html

I love my Bose - perhaps run it via a tablet if you want to make a call? 
    I've been cooking since summer 2018 on a large BGE (prior to that on a Weber with a Slow N' Sear). Current grilling in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,307
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Most of us have old Bluetooth-enabled phones sitting around. Why not use them for the music? Perfect for music streaming services. Keeps your primary phone free and allows the old phone’s battery to take the hit from running.

When I want music outside, I connect to a (now several years old) Bose Soundlink II. It’s Bluetooth enabled and wireless. Very decent sound quality and volume for the size of the speaker. 
  • Wanasmoke
    Wanasmoke Posts: 388
    Options
    Another vote for Sonos here. I’ve tried all forms of Bluetooth and they all have either range or quality limitations IMO. I have a pair of Play 1’s that are easy to plug in and move around outside. I also have a Play 5 and a sound bar for the tv. They can all be separate zones playing different music or can play together in unison.  The sound is absolutely fantastic!  It sounds like the perfect solution for your needs- I would look into it for sure. 
    LBGE in Elm Grove, WI
  • kingsmoke
    kingsmoke Posts: 151
    Options
    We love our sonos as well ! Very versatile and great quality.  
    Grand Rapids , Mi
    LBGE -  28Blackstone - Saber grill
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    Why not get a bluetooth soundbar for the tv.?  Kills two birds with one stone
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 356
    Options
    I have a mirror play device, from Walmart , plugged into my tv and a sound bar that will play videos or slideshow pictures and play music from my phone. I know you want to keep your phone out of the loop , but it was cheap, around 50$ for device and 130$ for the sound bar. Also use it for Netflix when I am in my camper since I can just plug it into any tv where I am at.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,347
    Options
    I use an Amazon Echo outside on a covered patio. Sound quality is nice and you can use Spotify along with the other streaming services
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• triker
    triker Posts: 5
    Options
    I have to add another vote for Sonos.  The Play:1 is humidity resistant so it is perfect to be brought outdoors when you have something going on.  And, you have your pick of streaming services or as previously mentioned, from your PC or NAS.  They aren't the least expensive solution out there, but they hit a sweet spot of price point, quality, and flexibility.
  • Bayou_Buzzard
    Options
    Sonos here also.  Works great.
    From the shores of Lake Michigan.  Grand Haven.
    Unsalted and Shark Free
    XL.  Woo Adjustable Rig Combo.  Flame Boss 300.
  • skellis614
    Options
    +1 Sonos
    LBGE, Burgeoning Accessories
  • chappy319
    chappy319 Posts: 50
    Options
    Love my Sonos, buy what you need, can always add onto the aystem
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    Bose SoundTouch 10
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Look at the Ultimate Ears Megaboom. It's a really nice BT speaker with long battery life. Nice part is the the speakers will connect to other Megaboom speakers so you can add more speakers wherever you want. 
    I use the Amazon Dot for my music source. Voice activated and it will pull all kinds of music for "free" (with regular Amazon subscription). 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    I’ve been using Sonos since we bought our hot tub in 2010. Have slowly been adding additional zones. Outstanding system. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • poster
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I am a little confused on how the Sonos speakers work over Wi-Fi.  So basically I have the app on my phone, but my phone is only acting as a remote and not actually streaming anything between my phone and the speaker, such as with Bluetooth? So if I have Spotify on and walk out of Wi-Fi range with my phone it will continue to play? I could also put the app on my desktop and control from there? Will it work as far away from my router as my phone will on Wi-Fi? and finally, do they have any wired inputs for say the outputs on my satellite radio or t.v.?
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    +1 for Sonos. 

I have a Play 1 for the bbq patio, and a Play 3 for the pool area. Both have lived outside for a couple of years now, the Play 1 sits on the shelf under my bbq table, and the 3 is in the covered patio area. I have a few more units in the house. No sound at, since we don’t really  watch TV. 

You can stream music from a number of services or your own music library. Control from your phone, tablet, laptop , whatever. It doesn’t stream from your phone, so you can even leave the house and music still plays. Each speaker can play something different, or you can rock the whole compound by having them all play the same thing. The Sonos units set up their own mesh network, so range from your router shouldn’t be an issue. 

I futzed  with BT speakers for some things time and they were a hassle. Speakers had to be charged, if I walked away with my phone on me the music stopped, etc. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • mtasker
    mtasker Posts: 88
    Options
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    In our house I just use one of the Google Mini's we have in different rooms in the house.  The Sonos system would be nice for outside.  Here is there website.  https://www.sonos.com/en-us/home
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.