Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump hard wood

Options
I've been using Royal Oak Lump hardwood for about 2 years.  The "lumps" in my last 6 or so bags have been no larger then a quarter.  Does anyone have suggestions for Lump Hardwood other then the expensive Big Green brand?

Comments

• mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    rockwood check your local ace hardware

Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    If you have been happy with RO for the past 2 years, there isn't any reason to change.  Lump is brittle.  You have been getting roughly handled bags lately. Follow Ron's assessment method to reduce getting bags of broken up lump.  You may need to check different stores.  Check bags that have not been removed from the pallets - they tend to be less abused then those handled one at a time.  

Any brand can be mishandled and provide small pieces.  My very first bag of Rockwood was nothing but small small pieces.  I assume that my local ACE staff dropped it off the truck. The second bag was much better (they came in the same order). 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    FWIW, small pieces are fine. It happens 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • OshawaDave
    OshawaDave Posts: 198
    Options
    I've yet to see Rockwood in Canada. I've been buying Royal Oak (1/2 the price of BGE) and buying the odd bag of BGE and during cooks use mostly RO, but, put in a few larger pieces of BGE.......helps stretch the BGE lump.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Well it is Friday...lump discussions here are like politics and religion elsewhere.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    If i go to walmart, the lump is on the shelf and usually small pieces. Home depot is right off the pallet and larger pieces. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    I cannot agree more with check the bag before you buy if you can. Royal Oak, KJ Big Block or whatever. You have no idea what happened during shipping or when unloaded in the store. I’ve checked KJ before I bought and heard some bags that were handled rough and mostly dust and small pieces. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I've yet to see Rockwood in Canada. 
    Not yet.....maybe one day.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i would rather have small lump than big lump. easier to light and i have more control over it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gbvinla
    gbvinla Posts: 96
    Options
    I used RO until local Walmart quit carrying it. Their B&B Oak lump is as good as anything I have found. Granted I've never gone the route of Rockwwood. Be careful when you buy B&B because they sell both Hickory and Oak. The chunks are very large. Also carried at Academy.
    Large BGE x2  Now we're cookin' in Dothan Al.
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Options
    gbvinla said:
    I used RO until local Walmart quit carrying it. Their B&B Oak lump is as good as anything I have found. Granted I've never gone the route of Rockwwood. Be careful when you buy B&B because they sell both Hickory and Oak. The chunks are very large. Also carried at Academy.
    Trust a fellow Gator here... Try just one bag of rockwood ... order through your local ace hardware... It's that good.
    OT .....today in Paris (France not Texas) ...I happened to be wearing a Gator sweatshirt ...  Over the course of 5 hours, 4 different  people walked by me saying "go gators!"
    the whole Gator nation thing is alive and well!   Full disclosure... One additional guy speaking French , said something that I did not fully understand...as my grasp of the French language is weak.... It was either " go gators"  or perhaps... " u look like Nancy pelosi" ...being a guy, I hope it was go gators!
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !