Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kosher Chicken

scruffy1
scruffy1 Posts: 20
A question for Jewish Eggers. In order to kosher-ize chicken or any other meat it is always heavily salted as part of the process. Smoked chicken should spend the night in brine before smoking. Since the meat is already salty salty will the brine bath make it uneatable. Should the brine contain less salt?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    my best results with kosher turkey is no brine, would assume chicken to be the same
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I’m not an expert on the process (someone will come along and attest to my heathen ways shortly I’m sure) but my dad’s kosher chef at his work explained the process to me last year. (I thought it had more to do with the salt but apparently it was more focused on the blood) 

Im think all you really need to do is clean the bird, drain the blood and get the feathers off, then soak the bird for half an hour in water. Afterwards hit the bird with kosher salt, then let rest for an hour. Then you can rinse the salt off. 

So in theory, you could buy an organic bird so it’s not already packed in a ton of salt, do the kosher thing, then brine the bird after. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• But yeah like @fishlessman said you absolutely do not have to brine to smoke a chicken. 

If youre dead set on it I would rinse that bird good or it may end up like a salt lick. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Are you starting with an actual kosher chicken - one that has been properly slaughtered/inspected?

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ok, curiosity got the better of me. 

I called my dad. He was with the school rabbi and the cchef about to sit down in a meeting. 

Apparently the real real question is “how kosher are you keeping?” 

I have way too much info to type. PM me and I can give you a walk through tomorrow of what they told me.  

South of Nashville, TN

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk