Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribeye - Reverse Sear

This was probably my best steak cook to date. Prime grade eye of ribeye from Costco. Simple salt and pepper, reverse seared at 250 until 120 internal.

Pulled and rested for 10 minutes while the Egg came up to 550. Then seared for 1 minute per side and pulled. Fork tender. 

Comments

• tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    Looks great! When I reverse sear I only go to 110 degrees before searing and usually gets up to 120 by the time it rests and gets seared. Great results every time!
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • Looks good.
    Wimberley,TX
    X-Large,Large, Medium and Small
    17" and 28" Blackstones
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Looks delicious.

Question: How often did you flip the steak over before it reached your desired temperature.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Looks phenomenal!
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 579
    nolan8v said:
    Looks delicious.

Question: How often did you flip the steak over before it reached your desired temperature.
    During the "roast" or actual sear? When it's initially coming up to temp it doesn't get flipped. I don't see a reason for it. During the sear, it just goes for 1 min a side and I pull it.
  • nolan8v
    During the roast.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• FrostyEgg
    The no, I don't flip it at all. I run it raised indirect at 250 so the heat is consistent on all sides.
  • nolan8v
    That's good to know. I'll try it this weekend.

Thanks!
    Chris Rose 

• FrostyEgg
    Be sure to take pics and post your cook!
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    SV'ed a ribeye to 129, seared at 500°F for ~1.5m/side. DANG GOOD!!
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited May 2018
    Awesome cook....the only way I do steaks now.  But I usually go to 115*, then two minutes a side for filets.  Only downside is having to reconfigure mid cook, but not a big deal and well worth it. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• mcypert09
    mcypert09 Posts: 33
    Perfecto

Appleton, WI and Baileys Harbor, WI (Kangaroo Lake)

Grilling and smoking meat year around (even in Frozen Tundra temperatures); tasting and brewing beer - like bourbon and whiskey too; fan of the Green Bay Packers

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    nice.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Knocked it outta the park!  Great job!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Hey Frosty, did you happen to take final temp post sear?   

Your  pic is my fave doneness. 

Still pink, but done enough to separate the muscle striations.  So no overly squishy-ness.

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    NICE!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Don't know how this evaded me...Great money shot right there, and fork placement for the win.  Congrats.  
    BTW- If you want to speed up the process, once finished with the low temp cook, open the dome and full open the lower vent, pull the guts and get a nice bed of hot lava going-then caveman sear for the finish.  Much faster than waiting around for a specific high heat sear temp on the dome.  Just gotta have some long tongs and a quick read thermo-no more than around 45 secs /side as this process is all about the crust.  FWIW-  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,716
    Very nice!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    KennyLee said:
    Awesome cook....the only way I do steaks now.  But I usually go to 115*, then two minutes a side for filets.  Only downside is having to reconfigure mid cook, but not a big deal and well worth it. 
    Easy solution is to use your oven for the first part.  I've done it both ways, and the egg adds very little to the warm up IMO and you have much easier and better control in an oven on a wire rack with a pan underneath.

This technique wins hands down over SV IMO.  But, I when my meat is vacuum sealed, I do use my SV to fully bring the meat up to warm room temperature, but I'm not sure that's entirely necessary.  It's just easy, especially if they are frozen.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • FrostyEgg
    lousubcap said:
    Don't know how this evaded me...Great money shot right there, and fork placement for the win.  Congrats.  
    BTW- If you want to speed up the process, once finished with the low temp cook, open the dome and full open the lower vent, pull the guts and get a nice bed of hot lava going-then caveman sear for the finish.  Much faster than waiting around for a specific high heat sear temp on the dome.  Just gotta have some long tongs and a quick read thermo-no more than around 45 secs /side as this process is all about the crust.  FWIW-  
    Caveman style is on my list for sure. 
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    I do mine indirect to about 100-105, let it rest, and then sear longer to get a better crust. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited May 2018
    That looks amazing. Did you let it rest after you seared also?
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Reverse sear is my go to method now.....really improved my steak game
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    1voyager said:
    That looks amazing. Did you let it rest after you seared also?
    always let it rest...
  • lentsboy007
    lentsboy007 Posts: 416
    About How long does it take to get a 1 inch steak to an internal of 120 at 250 degrees indirect ? Gonna try this tonight 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Trust your indications.  I have never timed it as the opening temperature of the protein is a big factor.  I would say around 30-45 mins (if straight from the fridge) but hopefully those who have the timing data will be along.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    @lentsboy007 - For reference, I just cooked a 1 1/4”-1 3/8” thick ribeye weighing 1.5+ lbs and it took about 50 mins to get to 118 internal.  It went from fridge to sitting at room temp for only about 10-15  minutes before it went into the Egg and cooked in the 250-265 range.  

Very nice cook FrostyEgg!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    I did the same cook with the same steaks Friday night.  For the low/slow part I raised the grid to the felt line, but during that part of the cook I had a 13” CI grid already in place, just above the coals.  All I had to do was pull the woo and standard grid.

Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Looks great! When I reverse sear I only go to 110 degrees before searing and usually gets up to 120 by the time it rests and gets seared. Great results every time!
    One of the WORST forks ever. 

NO FORKS! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Zuma
    Zuma Posts: 50
    Looks great!!!  I do ours the same way with the exception of putting a LOT of pepper on both sides!!!   Almost to the point that you think it's too much pepper.    Makes a wonderful crust that way.