Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Seared Rib-eye Success!

Options
Kevinboatright
Kevinboatright Posts: 278
edited April 2018 in Beef
Thanks for all the help after my failed 1st attempt. The steak came out much better this time even for a rainy day. 

Atlanta, GA 

LBGE, Mini-Max, Mini, 1995 BGE Chiminea, 22" Blackstone, Weber Genesis E-310. 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    Home-run right there.  Way to bring it home.  Congrats on nailing the cook.  I'm sure you enjoyed it.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    Yep. Nice looking steak.  

XL BGE
    MD
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Winner.  Nice work.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Looking Good!!!  Wish it was on my plate. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Very nicely done. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Whoa -- edge-to-edge GOODNESS right there!  Great job!
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
    Nice cook
    O-Town, FL

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    perfect execution. Nice cook.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Oh yea! Looks fantastic. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Winner! Winner! Steak Dinner!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    Salivating!
    IL 
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    now i have to make steak for dinner

Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    You nailed it Brother 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Giggity Giggity Giggity

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Kevinboatright
    Options
    WOW! Thanks for all the comments.

I only had 1 issue. While the temp and cooking process made the steak texturally perfect. It had no flavor......?   I used some EVOO and DP Raising the Steaks rub before putting the steak on.  After I seared them I put a small butter pad and rosemary on top while it rested. Thoughts? 
    Atlanta, GA 

• bgebrent
    Options
    Salt!
  • Kevinboatright
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Salt!
    That’s the main ingredient in the rub. 
    Atlanta, GA 

• bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Salt!
    That’s the main ingredient in the rub. 
    Then a better quality beef.  And more salt. After that, assuming there was enough salt, peppercorns and garlic powder.  All I got.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    More time from salting/rub application until cooking - give the salt some time to do its thing.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Kevinboatright
    Options
    More time from salting/rub application until cooking - give the salt some time to do its thing.
    I'll try this. The cut of meat I got came from one of the best places in the Atlanta area, so I doubt it's the meat. I know it's not the rub because DP's are amazing.  Maybe I did rush the "salting" time.  
    Atlanta, GA 

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    I take my steaks out of the fridge and Salt, Pepper and Garlic Powder them even before I start the Egg. So they probably sit out a good 30-45 Min until the Egg is at Searing Temps. You want the meat basically at room temp. Essentially what this does is Salt Brines the meat.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Kevinboatright
    Options
    Thanks for the tips flavor came out much better this time and the cook was more my type. 

I’m hooked on this style of cooking. 

Atlanta, GA 

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Perfectly executed!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    Take a look at dry brining (aka salt application before the cook) for steaks.  Game changer.  Google has many references.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Kevinboatright
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Take a look at dry brining (aka salt application before the cook) for steaks.  Game changer.  Google has many references.  FWIW-

I'll look into this the next time I visit the butcher shop for some steak.  
    Atlanta, GA