Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef roast help

lentsboy007
lentsboy007 Posts: 416
have a 1.5 pound beef boneless rump roast. Was hoping to Egg it tomorrow and have never done a roast.  Anyone have some tips ? Thanks 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Pulling temps may be higher then you’d guess 205+internal to be done 

braising in a pan is nice after a couple hrs of smoke 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Are you looking to slice it? 1.5 lbs is small so watch temps carefully- the other option would be to braise it in the egg. 

Or my favorite make it into pulled beef.  If you want to go this route it needs to cook over 205 to pull easily (as mentioned above)

Greensboro, NC
  • lentsboy007
    Wolfpack said:
    Are you looking to slice it? 1.5 lbs is small so watch temps carefully- the other option would be to braise it in the egg. 

Or my favorite make it into pulled beef.  If you want to go this route it needs to cook over 205 to pull easily (as mentioned above)

Slicing would be fine . Just need a quick dinner idea for tomorrow . I’m not familiar with braising 

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    If you are going to slice I would take to 130 or so depending on your preference. 

Slice thin against the grain. 

Either a dry rub or I would likely put in some kind of marinade with a citrus component. 

Is it thin or more rounded? If thin I would go hot and fast, if more of a chunk go lower temp (275-300) so you can get the middle cooked without burning the outside  
    Greensboro, NC
  • lentsboy007
    Wolfpack said:
    If you are going to slice I would take to 130 or so depending on your preference. 

Slice thin against the grain. 

Either a dry rub or I would likely put in some kind of marinade with a citrus component. 

Is it thin or more rounded? If thin I would go hot and fast, if more of a chunk go lower temp (275-300) so you can get the middle cooked without burning the outside  
    Yes it’s a squat rounded one . Thanks for the advice