Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt underway ....

Options
CptCarl
CptCarl Posts: 1
My first post... The snow's finally gone and I've been itching to try a pork butt on my large BGE.  It's new last fall and this is my 6th cook. 8 lbs. @ 240 deg.  Started at 8am. It's 11:30am and looking good.  DigiQ  almost makes it fool proof. I'm really liking this better than my pellet smoker. The nature of the grill lends to a much more stable temps

Comments

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Best of luck. Welcome and we look forward to the final product shots. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Great way to spend the day- enjoy
    Greensboro, NC
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Options
    Looking good! Pork butt is always a crowd pleaser, and it's really minimal erffort-wise on the Egg.
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Nice. I just took mine off, went 9:30pm to 1:30pm, in the cooler ... almost game time, can’t wait 
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    I'd crank the temp to at least 275.
    Mountain View, CA
  • ehenry
    ehenry Posts: 1
    Options

CaptCarl, I did my fist long cook on my egg yesterday. I've done chicken, steaks and whatnot but a long cook was something I hadn't done yet. This was an 8 lb shoulder. I had to punch myself cause it turned out so good. I put it on at 6:30 in morning at 240f temp on dome thermometer. It reached an internal temp of 200 about 5:15.  I had two different probes in it throughout the cook. They were within 5 degrees of one another the whole time including the dreaded stall.

What impressed me most about the egg was that his held a constant temp without me having to mother hen the thing through out the whole cook.  I'm really not afraid to put something on and go all night with out worrying about it.

• vegas slim
    vegas slim Posts: 92
    Options
    ehenry said:

CaptCarl, I did my fist long cook on my egg yesterday. I've done chicken, steaks and whatnot but a long cook was something I hadn't done yet. This was an 8 lb shoulder. I had to punch myself cause it turned out so good. I put it on at 6:30 in morning at 240f temp on dome thermometer. It reached an internal temp of 200 about 5:15.  I had two different probes in it throughout the cook. They were within 5 degrees of one another the whole time including the dreaded stall.

What impressed me most about the egg was that his held a constant temp without me having to mother hen the thing through out the whole cook.  I'm really not afraid to put something on and go all night with out worrying about it.

wow i would do some damage on that!! great job!