Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Freezing finished brisket

Simcan
Simcan Posts: 287
edited April 2018 in EggHead Forum
It has become a regular practice for me to make much more pulled pork than I need, or even to make a butt with no plans to eat it, and I either pull or rip into big chunks (to pull after reheating), vacuum seal, and freeze it.  After simmering the bag for half an hour or so, whether it is a month or nine months later, not only is it as good as right off the egg, and call me crazy if you want, it may even be better. And it is great to have in the freezer for nights when you don't feel like really cooking or surprise dinner guests.

Anyway, the point is (no pun intended) I am wondering if this would work as well with brisket.  Has anyone tried?

Toronto ON

Comments

• Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    I do this all the time with leftover brisket and have never had a problem.  

I agree that pork tastes better after it has been vacuum sealed, but vacuum sealed brisket doesn't have that same taste as it does when it's been cooked that day.  But that's just me....my family says it tastes the same.
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Do it all the time with Flats since the Point disappears quickly so leftover usually isn't an issue.  I'll make brisket sliders...not as fancy as @SciAggie   Man’s got serious skills, but still tasty. 

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    im not a fan of freezing cooked beef unless its going to go in chili later on. freeze pulled pork all the time though
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Yep you got the secret..  I always do 2 butts anytime I cook for freezing and quick cooks later. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • I use all of my leftover brisket and pork for my brunswick stew
    Marietta, Ga
    I feel bad for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    I have a brisket on the egg right now @ 145º - hoping it will be ready for dinner, if it's not - it's getting sliced, and vacuum sealed in portions after whatever surprise dinner turns out to be.

I'll eat leftover brisket tomorrow, no problem.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    edited April 2018
    One word- Over The Top Brisket Chilli.

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • SSQUAL612
    vb4677 said:
    One word- Over The Top Brisket Chilli.

Do we just pick a word to make it one?  Or is this common core math at work?
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • I just picked up a 15# brisket and was wondering if it would be good after freezing. Any good tips on rubs, temp and smoking it?
    It's the cow that drives the meat!!

XL Egg, Mini Max, Mini,  17" Blackstone 
    Wi
  • SSQUAL612
    I just picked up a 15# brisket and was wondering if it would be good after freezing. Any good tips on rubs, temp and smoking it?
    Welcome to the forum.   There are hundreds of post on here you can search regarding brisket cooks, but I’ll share what I do.  To answer your questions...I freeze Briskets & thaw in fridge for cooks with no problem.  There aren’t too many rules with rubs for Briskets...use what you like & experiment. I’ve gone to Franklin’s S&P method, but there are times I will sprinkle some garlic & onion powder own while I’m waiting for my egg to come to temp.

I typically S&P mine the night before, but I’ve also seasoned em while letting it come to room temp & getting fire stabilized...only thing really penetrates are the sodium molecules.  I’ve recently started injecting with beef broth, but keep overall sodium amounts in mind when doing this.   I cook mine indirect at 250 to 270 grilling level temp. I use a controller, but many do not...my choice since it’s one less thing to keep me awake.  Make sure you fill your egg up with a good quality lump if your choice so you don’t have to deal with refueling mid cook.  I use pecan for my Briskets and a mix of chips & a couple chunks provides plenty of smoke.

Drip Pam raised above the stone to avoid burning the pan drippings & producing the burnt grease smoke.  You can use ceramic spacers or balled up Alum Foil for this.  I spritz sometimes every hour for 1st 4 hours with beef stock, Apple cider vinegar, bourbon concoction if I’m in the mood.  I cook mine fat side down until the flat probes like but tag...start checking around 195 for tenderness...usually pull mine at 201-203 IT do a good instant read Thermo is a great tool.   Let side on a cooling rack for 15-20 min then wrap in HDAF & put in cooler with towels for insulation for a couple hours.

@lousubcap  is our resident brisket expert so I have to get him to sign off on my walk thru above to make sure I didn’t Steer (PI) you wrong.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    @4littleeggs - no worries on the freezing as a popular high-end brisket source (Snake River Farms) ships all their briskets frozen solid.  For the record, I am no brisket expert but I have hosed up many over time thus some experience.  @SSQUAL612 is taking literary license here. I just sent you a PM that contains quite a brisket read.  
    BTW- welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  And there are many ways to cook the friggin cow.  The above works fine.
    Here's a link to a collection of cooks in honor of National Brisket Day which is May 28, 2018; FYI.

Memorial Day Weekend Brisket Cook: Who's with me? Rules are simple....  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    At any given time, I always have 1 lb bags of brisket, pulled pork & pulled beef in the freezer for convenience.  They're all great when reheated slowly in vacuum bags like original poster described.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Thank you lousubcap for the info. Appreciate it greatly still new and trying different  things on what I'll like doing the most of.
    It's the cow that drives the meat!!

XL Egg, Mini Max, Mini,  17" Blackstone 
    Wi