Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Caveman Style Sous Vide Steak

Options
Yes, I finally had to try the infamous 'Caveman Style' steak. I'm glad I did. 

The only thing I did differently was I sous vide cooked the steak first before throwing it on the coals. 

It worked. And it was delicious. 

Even Spring Hen liked it. 

Here's the story. 

https://youtu.be/SlsyuLwLNz4 

Try it... 

Poulet de "Doing is Believing" Printemps 
Formerly Spring "Fill in The Blank" Chicken 
Covington Louisiana USA

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    Nice job! Like you, I was skeptical until I tried it and now it's my preferred method 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Great looking cook and funny video. Thanks for sharing.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Very cool.  I have yet to do this method.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    Gonna have to try it...looked great!
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Very nice.  Great video as always.

Welcome to the caveman subcult of the BGE cult.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Great cook and money shot right there.  Nailed it.  Eggcellent video and an exceptional advertisement for coming over to the caveman dark-side.  Thanks for the post.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    Very interesting, Leroy!  I've always been turned off by the idea of using the Caveman technique, but now you've made me want to try it.  Looks delicious!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    How long did you keep it on the coals? (per side)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    How long did you keep it on the coals? (per side)
    I should have mentioned it in the video, but I forgot.  Thanks for asking. 

Since the meat was already cooked to temperature I just wanted to sear it.  I really wasn't sure about how long to sear, and I sure didn't want to overcook it, so I just went with 45 seconds a side.  Next time I'll probably go maybe a minute and a half.  All that will do is make it prettier on the outside while not affecting the inside temperature,   

But we all know, 'pretty' can make a steak taste a lot better than an ugly one.

Poulet de "Overcooked Is Irreversible" Printemps
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    That looks fantastic.  I saw Alton Brown do this once and thought it was crazy.  Great video - thanks for sharing.  I will be trying this one day.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    What about ash? 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Ain’t no ash when it’s that hot!   Eggcellent Job, SC!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    Great food and great video.  Thanks!
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I've cooked steaks that way a few times and I like it but people I've served kind of frown on the idea. I'm sure it's more of a mental thing.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great cook there man.  Great to see a post.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Thanks for the video. Nicely done  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    What about ash? 
    @milesvdustin, you can definitely pick up some noticeable ash if you wait too long and the coals are truly ashy (is that a word?).  A buddy of mine did that once when he threw a couple of steaks on some coals that had been used to cook other stuff.  But if you put them on orange hot coals it's not an issue - even when they look like they have a little ash.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Think lava for when to make the protein sacrifice and you are there.  It is a skill-set that even I can handle.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments.  It was a fun and enlightening cook.  One that I will do again.

I've had a number of readers from other forums ask about the length of time in the searing step, and about how I kept the ashes off the meat.  This should answer both questions.  I apologize for not mentioning it in the video.

As for the ashes, I just stirred the coals with my grid lifter to shake off the ash. They were pretty clean when I put the steak on. I tasted no sign of ash or charcoal. But one piece of lump stuck to the bottom of the steak when I took it off. Be sure to watch for that or a really hot piece of charcoal might fall onto your foot or floor and burn something. 

As for the sear time before flipping, I used 45 seconds.  I took into account that the coals were very hot (probably around 1200°)

I didn't want to overcook the meat so I didn't take any chances by searing too long. Next time I'll probably sear a minute and a half.

But I should also mention that my steak was about 1 1/2" thick.  It was sous vide for 2 1/2 hours and was exactly 117° all the way through when I placed it on the coals.  The sear probably only affected about 1/8th inch on the outside of the meat without raising the internal temperature.  

If you do not plan to sous vide cook your meat, I suggest you at least set it out for an hour to come to room temperature.  Or maybe even 'hot-tub' it to 100° or so.  Either way you can leave it on the coals for n longer period of time, perhaps  up to 4 minutes a side depending on the thickness of the steak.

A thin steak will surely cook faster.  So bare that in mind.

The biggest surprise was the lack of 'ash flavor'. I really expected to taste some sort of gritty ash. But it was not there at all.  If there was any ash on the meat it blended well with the flavor of the meat.

Mine was a 'learning adventure' and I learned a lot.  I will definitely be doing it again, perhaps in just a few days while company is here.  She's already seen the video and is curious...  

I hope this answers most of your questions.  If not, just go to Thermo-Work's article: 

https://blog.thermoworks.com/2018/04/caveman-steak-cooking-right-on-the-coals/?utm_source=Nl-2018Apr14&utm_medium=email&utm_term=TypeKProbes&utm_content=inbox&utm_campaign=April2018-Caveman-Steak-cs

Thanks again for your interest.

Poulet de "The Rest Of The Story" Printemps